View Single Post
Old 20 March 2010, 03:09 AM   #1
shandy
Banned

Parker 51 in the house!

Hi Folks.

Last night at the Monthly local pen club meeting I picked up another grail pen, the Parker 51.

For those who do not know much about vintage pens the 51 has almost iconic status to collectors with some pens going for several thousand dollars. The 51 is regarded by many as the best pen ever made..I can see why now!

There are many variations of this pen, mine is the last variation, often called the MK3.
The pen was developed in 1939 and went into production in the US in 1941. Production went on until 1972 with pens still availible in the stores until the mid 70's
As you will see in my pictures it must have created quite the reaction in it's day for it's futuristic, hooded nib styling.

I could go on but there is a marvellous website which I would highly recommend if you are interested in learning more about this pen.
http://www.parker51.com/
It has a wealth of information which is of real help in hunting out the "perfect" 51 for you!

I must admit I had no idea until last night what version or year I was getting, all I knew was that it had a broad nib, quite a rarity for a 51 and one that comes at a premium when it comes to buying!

Well as per usual Brian, my vintage pen restorer (bjpens on ebay) came up trumps! I wanted burgundy and he just happend to have the perfect pen for me. Mine being the first of the Mk3's produced in 1969 with the 12k gold filled cap and Aeormetric filling system. The Pen, like all of Brians pens is beautifully restored and in near mint condition! It writes like a dream and I can see why these pens are so popular! The pen is fairly thin and I prefer to write with the cap posted on the end of the pen. The cap is a very smooth push on style.

This one now has got me wanting more. I would like to get an early Vacumatic one next so that I have a begining and ending pen so to speak. I think I will put the other pens on hold until I get that one!

Oh yes, one last thing! As I said in my vintage pen thread. Vintage pens are a great way to get a really high quality fountain pen for very little money!

This Fully restored, mint Parker with broad nib cost me $75 plus a traded Mint though non working Conway Stewart (needs a new ink sack) that would mean this one cost me around $100 and remember this one has the broad nib which is a premium

Here are a couple of pictures, the last one is with a selection of my pens so that you can see the nib sizes!

From the top going clockwise. Nakaya double broad stub flex nib, Montegrappa Medium flex nib, Parker 51 broad nib, Parker Duofold senior special with very flexi broad stub nib, and finally a Parker Vacumatic with medium mild flex nib.

Last edited by shandy; 20 March 2010 at 04:04 AM.. Reason: Wrong cost of pen!
shandy is offline   Reply With Quote