View Single Post
Old 23 December 2019, 09:47 PM   #21
116710er
"TRF" Member

Watch: yer six.
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
Why would someone risk their career over stealing a customer's bezel insert? Even if someone wanted a period correct one for themselves hundreds of them per year end up in the bin where the owner has agreed to change the insert*, why would anybody steal yours?
You seem pretty convinced that all watch techs are saints.

I've had ASC service techs (automotive) try to steal valve caps off my car. I mean freakin' tire valve caps. They are factory aluminum ones and the tech tried to swap them with plastic ones. When I went back, they didn't dig them out of the trash, they went into the back room and "recovered" them. So if there are people willing to steal $12.00 valve cap covers (yes, twelve dollars), I would image there are crooked watch techs that are willing to do you a favor by replacing your 20 year old, mint condition, but apparently "outdated" $$$$ vintage (or vintage adjacent) inserts for shiny brand new service replacements ones cuz you know those are in high demand.

I'm not saying that this *is* what happened, but I think it's as plausible as a Rolex trained tech (aren't they CW21's?) damaging a insert during service.