View Single Post
Old 21 May 2008, 01:19 AM   #1
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step!
The Explorer II Enigma. Historical Thread

I know this has been discussed before, but I thought it might be interesting to revisit.

Of all the SS Sport Rollies out there, the Explorer II (and Explorer, but the focus of this thread is on the II), particularly the black dial, seems to be the least desirable, and hence has the lowest resale value. I bought my slightly used one from my AD at a significant discount from MSRP, and it's fairly common to get TT like discounts on these, which differs from all the other SS Sporties. We see Explorer II's languish in AD's cases and on our For Sale page, often being discounted several times before they sell or are pulled.

The watch is essentially the same as the legacy GMT II's, minus the rotating bezel. It has a sleek and unique profile not seen on other non-Rolex watches, except the Invicta's Rolex-inspired models. It's comfort is among the best of Sports Rollies, and it has the added complication of the 24H hand.

I'd like to see a discussion about TRFers thoughts on why the Explorer II's desirability and resale is lower than that of other Sports models. The longer I own mine, the more I like it, and I can't figure out why it's not more popular
DSJ is offline   Reply With Quote