View Single Post
Old 20 March 2016, 05:21 PM   #42
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
I think a more interesting poll would be - if you had $74K USD, would you buy it?

Patek produces many interesting watches. Yet there are many competing products to choose from and sometimes multiple watches for that price when it comes to a watch in this price range.

Since the 5170G/R is priced at $81K USD, if you had a choice, would you buy the 5930G or a 5170? Is the manual wind chrono more preferable or the automatic chrono with a world time?
I cogitated on that option for a long time and in fact even through in 1815 chrono and Dato just to really muddy things up.

No denying the 5170G is absolutely beautiful. The breguet numbering I just love and I was a big fan of the old pulso scales. However a pure chrono to me is functionally useless. Its just a horological wonder and mechanical masterpiece to admire. I am not going to time my eggs boiling, my heart racing or do a 10 km run and see how I have done. But aesthetically I think a chrono is beautiful to look at. In this case I think its more dress watch.

The WT is probably one of the most important functions to me in my daily life. I look after operations in multiple time zones and thus its always handy for me to know what the time is before I bug the people. Its far more important to me than say a moonphase, AC, PC, diving to 3000 m etc.

So for roughly the same money I am buying a WT and getting a chrono thrown in (albeit I think with lower specs) . Its self winding so in theory more complicated!

However, if they had done a 5575 at say $50 000 level then i would have gone for that option....
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote