View Single Post
Old 5 February 2020, 06:54 AM   #9
onnomon
"TRF" Member

Guess he'll wreck Panerai like he did Roger Dubuis...gawdy quadruple tourbillions with styling comparable to those "medieval motor inns" I remember as a child. You know, the plastic torches on either side of the bed (Knight's Inn?)...imagine the same for a watch company!
It is unfortunate that conglomerates are only interested in profit without restraint. He's pretty straight-up about that precedent. IMHO the experience thing is borderline bogus...of course turning a wristwatch into a totem is great marketing tool. BTW I tried that by wearing a specific watch while my daughter was being born. In the end I traded that piece for something more calling. Maybe i'm a heartless bastard but no watch comes close to that actual experience...at least i got a couple of photos of my newborn "holding" the watch. She'll get something else when i'm ready to pass, something she will have grown up with.
Now, I love my Panerai (PAM 190) and I've had a few others. I think the styling (all models) is unique and will remain classic. The Carbotech models look pretty good so I'm not dismissing any of the advanced technology pieces. I simply see a future "vision 2020" of turning the brand into full-on farce (some think this happened years ago, or at least with the Due line).

Ok, time to get back to work. See you on the other side.
onnomon is offline   Reply With Quote