View Single Post
Old 13 June 2018, 06:18 PM   #29
stevedssd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airforce1 View Post
Thanks for this very informative thread!

May I suggest some constructive feedback and offer more specific dial descriptions?

For example, to describe a Mark 1 dial I would change the description from "CE in CERTIFIED line up directly under the CH in CHRONOMETER" to "the letters CE in CERTIFIED line up directly below the letters HR in CHRONOMETER"

To describe the service dial, instead of stating "F extends over the t in feet in the depth rating", reword it to "the top arm of the letter F crosses above and over the stem of the letter t in feet depth rating"

Lastly, to describe a Mark 1 as having a centered L underneath the coronet, I would describe it as "the serif on top of the letter L in ROLEX is centered directly underneath the coronet base"

With that being said, I believe I have the Mark I dial. The thing I am confused about my dial is the "="sign is just a wee bit to the right of the A in SUBMARINER". Now granted this is looking at the dial at high magnification under a slit lamp.

Question: are there any reliable numbers on different Mark I,II,III and service dial production numbers? Which is the rarer variant? Just curious.

Thanks!

AF1
Thanks for the suggestions, the strength of this forum is the contributions that we all make. The downside of looking at magnified images of dials is that after a while the text can almost seem to move before your eyes! If you can get your post count up to enable posting of a dial pic we can look to see what you have, the spacings on each dial variant are always the same. I am not aware of any record of the numbers of each dial produced, some of the more knowledgeable members may be able to say. Of the three original dials, if you look at postings of white 1680's on the forum and look at dials offered for sale, the Mklll tends to feature less frequently, although I wouldn't say it is rare.
stevedssd is offline   Reply With Quote