View Single Post
Old 30 May 2020, 05:52 PM   #102
LoveTheCrown
"TRF" Member

So I’m interested in opinions to an embarrassingly lucky problem.

I currently have a 116500LN white face ceramic bezel Daytona. I purchased it from a grey (I know, loser move but I was in love with it and just had to make her mine) a couple of years back. Watch is in fine shape, full papers and box. Some typical scratches from wear and tear. The problem comes in when today I get a call from my local AD who finally is back open, and tells me the he has a brand new white face ceramic Daytona for me as I had put my name on his list years and years ago. So I buy it, at list, and now have two of the same watches. My initial plan was to sell back to a grey dealer the current grey purchased watch to recoup the over sticker cash I paid a few years back; lower my basis if you will.
But then I started thinking (always dangerous). Why not continue to wear the grey purchased one and also keep the brand new one from my AD but stick the new AD purchased watch in the vault for 10 or 20 years and have an unused, never been worn, pristine watch 20 years from now. I’m a little torn between just recouping the money now that I spent initially, or going with plan B, and saving the new one in the never worn condition and hope that 20 years from now it‘s a true collectors item. As an FYI, I currently have this same situation with a 2006, 116520 Z series Daytona. It is still in the ‘coffin’ box, full stickers and all, never ever been worn. List price in 2006 was $6,000. Current value (based on internet searching) is $26,600. So it’s increased $20,000 in 14 years. So, do I sell the grey back and recoup the over payment now, or keep the grey and the one I wear and stash the brand new one in the vault for 20 years. I’m interested in opinions. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LoveTheCrown is offline   Reply With Quote