View Single Post
Old 20 August 2017, 08:30 PM   #48
Danishtext
"TRF" Member

Update on the SubC No Date

It has been two years since I have purchased the watch and with your permission, I would like to share my experiences so far on this wonderful watch.

Beforehand, I am truly honoured that so many Rolex brothers and sisters read this post and sticking to the noble tradition of this esteemed forum, conveying well wishes and words of encouragement to each other. It is this sensation of cameraderie and honesty that makes this forum, this circle, a great place to belong to.

The build. One thing that I have to say about this watch is that it is built like a tank. Sure based on the price of the watch it could be a piece of jewellery. But I think the designers started out with the concept that this watch should be a tool before anything else. On my wrist, I have taken it diving in the cold Atlantic ocean and in the warm waters in Belitung Island (Java Sea). It has also endured the harsh desert of Mauritania in Africa for a couple of days. It stays calm and keeps good time.

The scratches. The first cup is always the deepest, but I get used to it. I want to keep the watch in good condition and after several weeks the way I move adjusts accordingly, like how you type or how you walk with your hands a little raised in crowded, enclosed spaces so your watch does not scratch on the walls, even how you take off your seat belt. It is just a matter of habit I think. After a while the watch accumulates micro scratches but still maintains the Rolex shine. If you ask me now, I probably would not polish it during servicing. Maybe I will change my mind, who knows.

The feel. It is still comfortable and yet has this significant weight. I could wear a it all day without taking it off. Sometimes it accumulates grease and dirt and perhaps it is my imagination, the movement of the strap is affected so it won't move as freely. Then I would wash it with water and a little dish washing soap. It will feel clean and refresh again and good to go.

The attention. Not so much really. Only two gentlemen complimented directly on all this time. I think most people don't care too much or unless pointed out by other people, will not take notice.

The competition. After a while I would look at other Rolex watches such as the Daytona, or the new 43 SD, the BLNR. Perhaps the closest I ever desire other than this one is the Hulk. The Hulk is beautiful in pictures and even more in the wild. Then again, the Hulk would be difficult for me as some colours do not go as well with green than with black. The black bezel of the SubC is neutral and goes well with all colours. In my case, having both watches is not really an option as I would probably spend 15 minutes deciding on colour combination every morning. So, the bold colour choice stays on the socks in my case.

The conclusion. I like it even more now than before. There are times when wearing a Rolex is not quite right I suppose so I have gotten a Oris sixty five diver Deauville for backup. The Oris is very good watch by all means, but I keep longing for the Rolex. It is really a part of me now and I am satisfied with my purchase. Sorry for my bad english and have a nice day everyone. I am also attaching pictures of the watch in the tropic and picture of Belitung island in Java sea
Attached Images
File Type: jpg belitung.jpg (113.0 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8824.JPG (125.8 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8825.JPG (121.3 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8826.JPG (124.5 KB, 86 views)
Danishtext is offline   Reply With Quote