View Single Post
Old 13 July 2020, 04:48 AM   #1
Richw185
"TRF" Member

Why is SkyDweller 326934 white dial as my first luxury watch

I have always been aware of luxury watches, but I’m never a big jewellery guy, so it is only just very recently and after more than a month of research, I have decided to acquire Rolex SkyDweller 326934 white dial as my first piece of luxury watch, I still consider myself a novice hobbyist at the most, so this post is as much as my watch collection diary as a post seeking constructive feedback in to my decision making logics.

A little background of myself. I have now been in China for 5 years, I run a hedge fund and also have investments in a medical business, I have lots of assets but don’t usually hold much cash, I consider myself prudent with my spending habits. The stock market has been particularly rewarding of late and decided to treat myself a little. While I’m not too constrained by budgets I am always prudent with my money. So WHY SkyDweller 326934 white dial or even why Rolex when budget isn’t an issue?

It was the first time I bought from a dealer on social media and China is renowned for making fakes, I was very cautious and even nervous at first but the whole experience was very pleasant and professional and I could have not asked for anything more. If you would like to know more I can write a separate post.

Let me list the following facts:
White/black/blue dial China MSRP price: RMB 115,600 (~USD 16,519)
White/black/blue dial HK MSRP price: RMB 112,300 (~USD 14,487)
White dial Chrono24 price: from USD 17,000 (seller gets ~USD 15,895 after Chrono24 fees)
Blue dial Chrono24 price: from USD 21,000 (seller gets ~USD 19,635 after Chrono24 fees)
White dial my dealer price: RMB 107,000 (~USD 15,250)
Blue dial my dealer price: RMB140,000 (~USD 20,000)
Condition: 95% new with very slight sings of ware
Inclusions: Box + Card + Links

Reasons for 326934 white dial as my first watch:
1. I was getting a more favourable discount and better value for money on the white dial than the blue dial. White dial is lower than both China MSRP and Chrono24; while blue dial already commands a premium in all aspects and even higher than Chrnon24 (dealer’s take away) so if I really need to sell one day I will lose less money
2. Rolex being Rolex, no other brand holds value better than Rolex, even PP and AP only 1-2 lines holds value over time.
Disclaimer, I do not have the skills or resources to flip watches and I would want to take my watches to grave with me, but one always need to plan for an exit strategy if things don’t turn out the way they should – “life is like a box chocolates”.

3. I do not plan to have more than 5 watches, so I want to be careful about what I buy, my next two watches on my list are PP Nautilus 5711 or 5990 (undecided) then Royal Oak 15202 or 15407OR/ST depending on the model of the Nautilus. But they are dark faced watches, so I think the Skydweller in white dial is a refreshing and crisp contrast.

On my journey in horology, your constructive comments are always welcome!

BTW those who say that the 42mm is too big for a skinny wrist, I disagree, following are two pictures for your reference. (I hope this works)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg on wrist.jpg (47.5 KB, 315 views)
File Type: jpg small wrist.jpg (82.8 KB, 315 views)
Richw185 is offline   Reply With Quote