View Single Post
Old 22 March 2017, 12:56 AM   #10
NewEnthusiast
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King/Seamaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer View Post
thanks for the replies everyone and beautiful pictures

i recently saw some Mont Blanc and Louis Vuitton pens when killing time at the airport and was very tempted but decided to pass, but am now tempted again to buy a nice pen

Is Mont Blanc a good place to start? from reading a few threads here it seems like the "staple" brand here not the best but certainly not the worst a bit like rolex?

Louis Vuitton I am guessing they are just using their name to sell pens (bit like mont blanc with watches?) but they did still seem pretty nice too, not sure about the price though

thanks again
Do it! Take the plunge. If you appreciate high quality and beauty then fountain pens are a good way to make any day better.

Mont Blonc, certainly in my opinion, is in a similar position in the pen world as Rolex in the watch world; the most well known high end brand that people tend to default to. That said, as we know here, just because it's not obscure doesn't mean it's not brilliant.

If you're happy not getting much change out of £500 then you won't beat a Mont Blanc Meisterstuk fountain pen. They come in a few different sizes and nib widths so be sure to try a few out before selecting one.

However, if you're not used to fountain pens, I would strongly recommend getting a cheaper one to start with so you have the opportunity of getting used to the slightly different writing style needed for a fountain pen before investing in a high-end piece.

For real bargain basement, the Lamy Safai can be yours for about £20. I've got a couple and they all write beautifully. You can use this to determine which nib style best suits your handwriting; fine, medium, italic, etc. If you fancy something a bit more high end (and better looking) then Cross offer some fabulous pens in the £100 - £200 range. They combine timeless elegance and style with fabulous build quality.

Once you've decided a fountain pen is for you, you can have fun choosing which ink you want to go with it. Personally, I'm a fan of Diamine inks. These come in a vast spectrum of colours and seem to work well in all of my pens and on most paper types. My current favorite is Raw Sienna which is a deep brown colour and looks refreshingly different on the page.

Please post pics of what you decide to go for.
NewEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote