Thread: Fake 1665
View Single Post
Old 7 January 2018, 07:35 PM   #27
watchluvr
Banned

Watch: Rolex President
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLADIATOR View Post
I personally report counterfeit watch (all fake) when people may be duped.

I (personally) dont report Frankenstein especially if movement is genuine and seller is making it clear.

But that just me

A
I understand your position, but if someone says a watch or case or dial or band that is a clone, replica, or "custom" that is virtually identical to the real thing and if it is branded just like the real thing, then it is just the seller's choice to use the word "custom" to try to sneak by rules against selling a replica, fake, clone, or counterfeit.

One could easily say about any "replica" or "clone" on the market that the watch has a custom case, custom bracelet, etc.

All of those items are illegal in the U.S., and google news shows plenty of stories of people being arrested and charged with crimes for selling replicas, clones, etc. They are all considered counterfeits if they use the trademark of Rolex, etc. without permission from Rolex.

If someone can be arrested for selling a watch with a counterfeit trademark, it makes no difference if they refer to it as a replica, clone, or custom. It is still a violation of law and ebay and craigslist rules.

If someone put a 1575 movement into a Franck Muller style case and made a completely unique dial with a different name brand on it that only the watch maker uses, then that would be a true custom watch with a Rolex movement. But if the custom case and bracelet look virtually identical to a Rolex and they are marked Rolex, then it is trademark counterfeiting.

In summary, I believe that the word "custom" is simply a way to avoid having the item kicked off ebay. The words "replica," "clone," or "fake" could just as easily be used. So on a watch that you can easily imagine replacing "custom" with "clone," "fake," or "replica," I believe it should be reported and removed. The seller is trying to pull an end around and trying to be sneaky about breaking the rules.

This is only my opinion, but it coincides with U.S. law and trademark counterfeiting laws in most states in the U.S.
watchluvr is offline   Reply With Quote