View Single Post
Old 8 October 2019, 06:56 PM   #102
nigelUK
"TRF" Member

Panerai is very close to my heart for watches. The first watch manufacture I got really enthralled by, in early 2000s. I owned many references, mainly betarini case, base models, handwound but a couple of automatics and also the wonderful 372. Even now I would be hard pushed not to say it was my favourite manufacture, and I haven't owned one for a while.

Without doubt the WR, snapback, push pins et al, put many of us off the brand aswell as the 'perception' that those in the inner circle were getting all the LEs and some were selling them on for big profit ..

I've read most of the posts and don't believe any have seriously addressed the issue of SIZE.

Panerai become a cult because of the history, rarity, style and the size of the watches. It was fashionable. Now I know this gets people excited but 47 or even 44mm isn't ideal to wear and it is also less fashionable now.

The history has been blighted by various 'tall' stories and twisting the truth. The rarity is gone. The size is loosing its fashion status.

I know people will site Rolex as increasing it's sizes generally, but Rolex is a slow to act lumbering beast, way behind current trends. In fact it would be a good indicator that when something the size of Rolex reacts, the trend has passed. Yes, I know we hate 'trends' ... but the subject is 'Panerai will come back' ... I'm not 100% sure (i really would love it if it did)

IMO, Panerai missed a trick by making their smaller references a 'dress' watch. They should have put their energies in trying to recreate the stylish, robust, tool watch ethic of the larger references in 42 and 40mm.

Imagine a 372 with plexi recreated in 42mm ... maybe that just wouldn't work ....who knows ? The old 40mm references were never that popular in the day, but I think they might be now, with some genuine tweaks. (not cost saving)