View Single Post
Old 8 September 2020, 06:15 AM   #51
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunTzu View Post
Like I mentioned, I bought it to differentiate it from the grey/black dial that almost every diver in every other manufacturers' lineups produce/copy.

I have my grandfather's 5513, a SRP777, etc... all with black dials.

This dial is far and away completely unique, subtle, and beautiful in the sun. It works well with the lume and bezel insert. It's warm and vintage-like.

I'm really enjoying and don't see too many posted. It's something a little different. When I saw the lineup I immediately was drawn to it. There was no hesitation or comparing or debating. It was a "mic drop" moment on my decision.

Coupled with the size, design and wrist feel; it's a home run. The bracelet is a little iffy for me. The main issue is that there is about a 0.5mm to 1.0mm gap in the lug with the end links. You can see it in the closeup photos you quoted in my post. Very sloppy tolerance in my opinion. It should be flush.

I bought a black Tropic strap for it to see how it will look/feel. Just waiting for it in the mail. I'll use the hardware from my SRP777 strap on it.
To me the 145 is "faux patina" done perfectly - the dial obviously invokes a dial with "tropical" patina but it does not hit you over the head with faux vintage notes. It manages to successfully tread the line between vintage inspired and standing on its own as a piece with its own soul - a feat that is not easy to pull off.

The concerns with the bracelet are disappointing but honestly not something that bother me that much as I don't intend to use it very much at all. This is a watch that would live on straps for me - from natos to canvas to rubber to leather. I am waiting for TROPIC to introduce short-sized straps and then that would likely be my move as well.
mgsooner is offline   Reply With Quote