View Single Post
Old 9 June 2015, 05:49 AM   #70
toomuchtalk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethcooke View Post
The Explorer 1 is steeped in history going back to it being worn by Sherpa Tensing Norgay when he summited Everest with Edmund Hillary, who wore a Smith's Everest. As someone who has had a passion for all things mountain, I was attracted to this watch many years back. I have had 3, the first being a Plexiglass model. Sadly, Rolex have decided to increase the size and bulk of the Explorer 1 so I recently bought an Explorer II white face, red GMT hand 40mm which is a wonderful purchase and in new/ old stock condition with a 2 year warranty. You seemed quite negative in your review, if you don't mind me saying so. I feel very grateful that I am able to afford such a fine timepiece as well as my other watch which is a JLC Duo Time, so I guess I am doubly fortunate I have always considered the Explorer II which there again has a rich mountaineering history and worn by Reinhold Messner, the brilliant Italian Alpinist when he first climbed Everest without the aid of bottled oxygen. His climbing partner on that trip was the Austrian Peter Habeler who sadly suffered mild brain damage due to the length of time that they spent over 8,000m. For what it is worth he also wore a Rolex Oyster Quartz. I might get another Explorer 1 one day, but a Plexiglass version would be the order of the day, maybe, who knows
Well said!
toomuchtalk is offline   Reply With Quote