Thread: Suggestions?
View Single Post
Old 8 February 2020, 01:51 AM   #1
DantonIzzo
"TRF" Member

Suggestions?

I don't buy a watch very often, but when I do, I try to mark a special occasion. Other than a cheap Seiko and a Casio Calculator watch, I currently own:

1. Baum and Mercie Classima Chrono -- I bought this in 2014 as a gift for myself to celebrate paying off my student loans.
2. Tudor Black Bay "Red Rose" (ETA) -- I bought this in 2016 to celebrate the birth of my first son. He's getting the watch when he turns 18.
3. Omega Speedy Pro -- I bought this in 2017. No story behind this one. I just love it and it currently gets the most wrist time. Although now I wish I had bought the FOIS version, as I like the size better.
4. Rolex Datejust 116200 (36mm) -- I bought in 2018 to celebrate the birth of my second son. He's getting the watch when he turns 18. Glad I bought this then, as it seems like even a datejust (especially blue one), you can't get a discount on.

I started my own firm in 2018 and things have been going very well. My partner and I exceed our revenue/profit goals for 2019, so I would like to buy a watch to celebrate and mark the milestone. I put my name on the BLRO when it was announced, but I will unlikely to get it at MSRP, so I'm gonna give up on Rolex for now.

What I am looking for: After owning and wearing my current watches, with a 6.5 inch wrist, I realize that the sweet-spot size for me is between 35-39mm wide and 44-48mm lugs-to-lugs. I'm open to all genre of watches. I don't want to spend more than $8,000 (new or pre-own). I'm also looking for value (not necessarily cheap, but value).

What I have been looking at:

1. Omega Speedy CK2998 (either the blue or the black panda)
2. JLC Reverso Classic Medium Duo (with the brown CASA Flagiano strap)
3. Zenith El Primero 38mm
4. ALS Saxonia -- either the 35mm or 37mm (although this might be out of my range)
5. 1930/40s Rolex Bubbleback (rose gold)

I would appreciate any thoughts? Anything else I should look at?

Thanks!
DantonIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote