Thread: JLC Questions
View Single Post
Old 22 January 2020, 06:37 AM   #10
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by illiguy View Post
Exclusively Rolex owner, but interested in other brands ... including JLC. Hoping to better understand:

1) Is JLC considered haute horology?
2) Are service costs expensive?
3) Best to buy used?
1) Yes, in my book. They have invented more movements than any company and have provided movements for other high end brands as well. Except for their very expensive models, their movements are mostly machined finished but they look very nice. In steel and even new from an AD, JLC is your least expensive way to get into haute horology today in a new watch. One could think of JLC as getting almost Patek quality at a Rolex price.

2) I paid about $900 to service my complicated Reverso, which is about average considering the movement and the brand. It's the only watch I've had to service yet, as the oils dried up, even though I have watches that are older. Unfortunately, it was a long and disappointing experience but it turned out okay after one year going back and forth and finally going back to Switzerland for replacement of a bunch of new parts that they scratched while servicing it in the US.

3) I would personally try to buy new with a heavy discount from an AD for the new long warranty and because some have had problems with their watches. Despite what some say, their resale isn't terrible but it's not like a stainless steel Rolex Professional either.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote