View Single Post
Old 11 October 2017, 12:21 AM   #36
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post

On another point, having read this thread right through from top to bottom, I'm actually beginning to feel mildly concerned that Panerai could be heading down the same road as Omega. Perhaps someone can help me out here but Omega seem to be freely available from grey sellers here for prices approaching 30% off MSRP and the values absolutely tank on the used market. That tells me that they're either way over-priced to begin with or they're losing their appeal. Or both. I hope Panerai isn't going that way.
Not to be rude, but where have you been?
I have been with the brand for almost 20 years.
Yes ,they are overpriced.
Yes, discounts are now expected
No , I would not pay retail, or even close
I was buying Panerai back when you could buy a 000, walk out of an AD and sell it for 30%more the same day. That is over, at least for now. I love the brand more than ever, but you have to be smart and change buying habits now (since about 2014).
I look at a luxury watch purchase as a sunk cost and enjoy it. If anyone is buying with the idea of a return somewhere down the line, they are setting themselves up for disappointment in my opinion.
Panerai makes too many watches at too high of a price at the moment for them to retain their value.
I'm okay with it and have just reset my expectations. In fact, I am enjoying this because the available options are better than ever and the prices in preowned market are great.
Just like these new green and blue dials. I love them...but trust me, they will flood the market with them and I am waiting to buy at about 50% of retail when that happens.
Sublovin is offline   Reply With Quote