The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 29 May 2024, 07:10 PM   #35
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Watch: LF Sport & Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by vliberman View Post
thank you for the advise, and i do mean it.. now, i am not new to the hobby. I own pieces by MB&F, URWERK, AP and others.. however, thru my journey, i realized that the essence of what appeals to me as a collector is embodied by Rolex, however incomprehensible to some that might be. I heard i am not alone. Many well respected collectors talk about going back to Rolex after experiencing everything else. I am not there yet, but not far. I do want to experience FPJ, GF and a few others.

This is akin to my auto journey, where i owned pretty much everything and now i only drive '17 Carrera base model. Hence the argument and comparisons..

The reason I started this silly to some topic is that i would like to explore this subject a bit further, perhaps for egoistic reasons. I appreciate all these who are helping along the way. I do also understand these who consider this to be a joke. It is not to me....
I've heard a lot of people say that they've gone back to Rolex as well. It makes sense. They have cache. You can bag them around. And they can dress up and down.

Personally, and with the exception of some Rolex vintage pieces, I find most of them bland. I find the pretentiousness of the Rolex dealers laughable. And I never wear mine because I'm embarrassed to represent the image that they've come to portray (middle aged dudes trying to keep up with the Jones or young guys trying to project that they've "made it")... though in fairness, I can't quite convince myself to get rid of them either.

Rolex in general (and especially the dealers) remind me of the San Francisco "49ers": as in the large population of girls in San Francisco who rate as 4s but believe they are 9s. If you've ever lived there you know what I'm talking about... though, again, in fairness I married a San Francisco chick who likes the actual 49er football team, so maybe I'm jaded.
charger_vital is offline   Reply With Quote