The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 June 2024, 03:39 PM   #31
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer View Post
I recently purchased my first Rolex which is a Submariner 124060. I like it but am thinking of selling and purchasing the OP39 white dial. The main reason why I'm thinking of making the switch is due to the discreetness of it and it may be a tad more versatile. Maybe it's all in my head, but I prefer to wear a watch that isn't as easily identified as a Rolex.

Also, love the size of the 39mm. I tried on a 36 and 40 but my wrist size prefers a watch in between those sizes.

Would I be crazy to make this switch?
No you wouldn't be crazy. The Rolex Submariner is the single most recognisable watch on the planet, whereas the OP39 is relatively anonymous, and far less common. Plus you can wear the OP with anything up to and including a suit, whereas the Sub is no good if you're wanting to dress up smartly, and not look like a 007 wannabe.

Ditch the Sub and go for the OP.
rolexpatek363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2024, 07:34 PM   #32
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

As someone who owned the OP39 in white and who now owns a sub date, I wouldn’t make that trade. I found the OP to be a little underwhelming as the dial quite often looks more cream than white.

I can understand you liking the 39mm sizing - for which I agree with comments above that you could add the previous generation Explorer. I made a thread comparing the two a while back before I sold my OP - https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=712102
nighthawk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2024, 08:42 PM   #33
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

I also own a 16610 (bought new by me in 2001) and a 5513 maxi dial from 1978, as well as a 114300 OP blue dial.

Out of the three, the OP gets by far the most use. The world has changed a lot in the last 23 years, and I wouldn't dream of wearing either of my Subs in a large city these days, whereas the OP is nicely anonymous, and never attracts attention.

Ultimately it's all a matter of personal taste & preferences. If I didn't think the Sub is a great watch I wouldn't own one (two). If money got tight, the Subs would go first.
rolexpatek363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2024, 09:06 PM   #34
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

I say get them both. My collection is down from a high of 12 watches to just 2 now—16710 and an OP39 white. A sub/gmt paired with the OP is the best 2 watch collection you can get imo.
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote