The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 May 2024, 08:54 AM   #1
twhedbee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Add luminescence

I have a Rolex Submariner that I purchased around 1985 or so. I miss the fact that it does not have any luminescence on the hands or indices. Is it possible that this could be added to my watch? If so, what would be the best way to do it that is not over-the-top expensive? I’m guessing it would mean a new dial and hands? I do not care about keeping the watch in its original condition as long as the work is well done. Any help would be appreciated.

Tom
twhedbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2024, 09:08 AM   #2
EagleBear
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Hi Tom Welcome to TRF,
If you really don’t mind replacing the dial and hands the next time you send it in to Rolex for service they will do it for you. Best of luck
EagleBear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2024, 09:21 AM   #3
Pepperjack
"TRF" Member

As EagleBear mentioned, the dial and hands can be an option during service. Rolex's recommended pricing is $93.50 USD for a set of hands. Dials are $370 or $420, depending on whether it's a Submariner or Submariner Date. Hands may be included with the replacement of a dial. Keep in mind that tritium is no longer used in the new pieces.
Pepperjack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2024, 10:11 AM   #4
L_S_SHOE
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Add luminescence

Also keep in mind that if you intend on selling it in the future, changing the dial and hands will likely make it less valuable, since many potential buyers don’t care about the lume and would prefer it to be as original as possible.

But, it is your watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
L_S_SHOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2024, 10:28 AM   #5
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twhedbee View Post
I have a Rolex Submariner that I purchased around 1985 or so. I miss the fact that it does not have any luminescence on the hands or indices. Is it possible that this could be added to my watch? If so, what would be the best way to do it that is not over-the-top expensive? I’m guessing it would mean a new dial and hands? I do not care about keeping the watch in its original condition as long as the work is well done. Any help would be appreciated.

Tom
Aside from sentimentality, is there any other reason why you haven't considered trading the watch for a newer model?
omar-rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2024, 10:57 AM   #6
0nly5iv3Digits
"TRF" Member

Watch: What is "watch"?
I'd be keen to keep it "as-is" and just "add" a modern piece to your collection. But I'm also totally the guy with several iterations of the same model... so a modern sub would be the "add" for me

UNpolished or I’m not interested” 😎
2FA Enabled
0nly5iv3Digits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2024, 11:07 AM   #7
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by twhedbee View Post

Tom
I had a 1980s 5513 (assuming yours is the same) serviced by Rolex a few years ago and they put in a new dial and hands (both of which had been replaced before anyway, but were damaged) and it came out great. Mine originally had the white gold surrounds on the dial, so after service it looked pretty much original anyway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5513 wrist.jpg (192.1 KB, 73 views)