The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 May 2024, 09:19 PM   #31
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR Jubilee
Quote:
Originally Posted by THC View Post
Can you put the cyclops back on later? If not you will kill the value of the watch at resale time
I agree and when you get older, you will wish you have it as well! I don’t know, for me the cyclops is what makes Rolex a Rolex. Or else just get another brand.
Old 28 May 2024, 09:23 PM   #32
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 17000B, B+W
Quote:
Originally Posted by THC View Post
Can you put the cyclops back on later? If not you will kill the value of the watch at resale time
Not necessarily, since the crystal is an easily and cheaply replaceable part of a DJ.
INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2024, 09:25 PM   #33
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR Jubilee
Quote:
Originally Posted by INC View Post
Not necessarily, since the crystal is an easily and cheaply replaceable part of a DJ.
But people won’t know that. Many non Rolex people associate the cyclops with Rolex and will just buy another datejust with the cyclops. Plus who wants to go through that hassle when there are millions of Datejusts with the cyclops on.
Old 28 May 2024, 10:10 PM   #34
slus
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, Pelagos
I dislike the cyclops across the entire model range. I'd get a decent local watchmaker to swap the crystal and keep the original. Not for resale value, don't care about that, heat will take it off easy, but I wouldn't heat it on the watch, so you'd have a watchmaker involved already at that point anyway and a crystal swap should be quick and easy
slus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2024, 12:12 AM   #35
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGY View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I'd read much the same after doing a quick google search. But I had also read that after removing any glue residue that there is a cyclops sized gap in the AR coating that looks awful.
I know you've already discounted the option of removing the cyclops on account of there then being a "hole" in the AR coating, but you could always consider removing the remaining external AR with some Polywatch. Even Cape Cod polishing cloths will remove AR coatings. Personally I prefer my Rolexes without AR anyway - hence partly why I prefer the previous gen models - so it's always an option.
Old 30 May 2024, 03:34 AM   #36
aniconic
"TRF" Member

Excellent advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorro79 View Post
Just ask a decent watchmaker to replace the crystal and keep your old one with the cyclops in case you ever need to sell it. Shouldn't be too difficult. Would be a 15 minute job.
Although I haven't removed a cyclops, I have had 2 different watchmakers make adjustments to out-of-warranty watches. They'll have the tools and skill to disassemble and re-assemble the watch without damage. In addition, I found them the most interesting watch people to talk with.
aniconic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2024, 06:24 AM   #37
CedCraig
"TRF" Member

I think the cyclops is a hideous wart, which is why I got a model without a date (126900). However, I do like a few models that have a cyclops, so I’d go with option D and just replace the crystal, while keeping the original for posterity. Having the watch look fake is definitely a bonus for me. I don’t care what anyone else thinks and if looking fake puts thieves off the trail, that’s good, too.
CedCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2024, 07:00 AM   #38
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRell View Post
But people won’t know that. Many non Rolex people associate the cyclops with Rolex and will just buy another datejust with the cyclops. Plus who wants to go through that hassle when there are millions of Datejusts with the cyclops on.
Exactly this ^^^
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2024, 08:39 AM   #39
Bald Angus
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41, 126334-0017
Now that I’m in my 50s, I LOVE the cyclops!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bald Angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2024, 09:00 AM   #40
Jwbrown1239
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorro79 View Post
Just ask a decent watchmaker to replace the crystal and keep your old one with the cyclops in case you ever need to sell it. Shouldn't be too difficult. Would be a 15 minute job.
Agree, I think this would be a good choice.
Jwbrown1239 is offline   Reply With Quote