The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 May 2024, 03:37 AM   #91
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Is Rolex Datejust 36 too small for a 7.5 inch wrist (19cm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidt View Post
It’s important to recognise that diameter isn’t the main measurement, lug to lug and imo dial diameter are much more important.

I’m 6’1”, nearly 17 stone and solidly built: I couldn’t wear a 36mm diver as with the bezel the dial is just too small and it looks like a child’s watch on my wrist. Same with a Chronograph, with the subdials the dial is very busy and it makes the watch appear smaller.
It’s entirely different with a time only watch like an Explorer or DJ. With no large bezel or complications on the dial, the dial is a large expanse of negative space and it makes the watch appear very large, comically so imo.

Compare the dial on a 41mm Sub and a 41mm DJ. The dial in the DJ is significantly larger making is wear larger on the wrist and seeming out of proportion. Conversely, the dial on a 36mm DJ is about the same diameter as a Sub/GMT.
Personally, if a sub is a good fit for you, I think a DJ 36 should be. If however, you wear a 44-48mm diver, I can see why you’d want a DJ41.

I have both a Sub and a DJ41. The Datejust 41 wears much smaller and that’s because it is. It’s lighter, thinner, and smaller in every way. It feels smaller and it looks smaller on the wrist, too. The bezel on the Sub offsets the bigger dial on the DJ.

I’m not saying any of that’s bad, but that’s how it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2024, 09:57 AM   #92
Bro Watch
"TRF" Member

Here are my 41MM OP, 40MM Daytona, and 42MM Explorer 2. My wrist is 7.5 inches, and I find that the Explorer fits and feels significantly better. Based on my experience, I would recommend avoiding 36mm watches for wrists of this size.

Sent from my SM-S911U1 using Tapatalk
Bro Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2024, 10:30 AM   #93
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600BB
I’m wearing my 36mm white dial Datejust on my 7 1/2 inch wrist. I purchased it in 1998. It gets the most wrist time out of my watch collection. It’s comfortable, understated, and a classic watch.
Ny325 is offline   Reply With Quote