The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 18 May 2024, 02:20 AM   #1
wxyzed
"TRF" Member

Tritium Sea-Dweller 16600 - can original hands look different from dial under UV?

Picked up a 90s Sea-Dweller 16600.

In regular light and to the naked eye, the hands and lume plots appear uniform (slightly creamy). But under UV, they appear quite different. Specifically, the lume plots appear dead with sparse flecks of green. The hour and minute hands are mostly dead with more frequent orange/red speckles. And the second hand glows bright green, but then fades about 5 seconds after removing the light.

What do you make of this? Should I expect the plots and hands to behave similarly if they are original, so I should conclude these are replacements? Or not necessarily?

Thanks very much for any thoughts. I'm also searching the forum but haven't found anything quite answering my specific question just yet.
wxyzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2024, 03:21 AM   #2
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
You'd need to post a UV photo so we can see what's going on, but based on your description, something's most likely been changed/replaced/re-lumed.

This is what you want to see to confirm tritium originality/uniformity (mid-'80s Sub).
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 168000 UV-TRF.jpeg (268.4 KB, 123 views)
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2024, 04:35 AM   #3
wxyzed
"TRF" Member

Thanks very much. I've attempted to attach 3 pics.

1 - regular light

2 - shows orange specks on hour/minute hands vs. couple of green specs on lume plots.

3 - shows second hand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (116.2 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (86.7 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (95.6 KB, 117 views)
Old 18 May 2024, 06:34 AM   #4
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

I'm guessing re-lumed, but not 100 percent sure. The seconds hand appears to have been replaced, based on the different color.

There's a ton of "color-matching" and/or patina'd lume being used on vintage Rolexes, to give it that uniform appearance in regular light. The UV light gives a lot more clues.

Who was the seller and how was the watch described?
Old 18 May 2024, 07:09 AM   #5
wxyzed
"TRF" Member

It was a seller on this forum, who has sold watches here before and has decent feedback here and on other platforms. Not a massive amount of feedback but what I found seemed good.

The watch came with box and papers and was generally described as being in excellent condition. I asked about the originality of the dial and hands before purchasing, and the reply was "the authenticator said it is the original dial and hands." I didn't dig further into that.
Old 18 May 2024, 07:25 AM   #6
wxyzed
"TRF" Member

It was a seller on this forum, who has sold watches here before with decent feedback here and on other platforms. Not a ton of feedback but what I found was good.

The watch was generally described as being in excellent condition. I asked about the originality of the hands and dial, and the reply was "the authenticator says it is the original hands and dial." I didn't dig further than that.
Old 20 May 2024, 12:27 AM   #7
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxyzed View Post
It was a seller on this forum, who has sold watches here before with decent feedback here and on other platforms. Not a ton of feedback but what I found was good.

The watch was generally described as being in excellent condition. I asked about the originality of the hands and dial, and the reply was "the authenticator says it is the original hands and dial." I didn't dig further than that.
The hands and dial might be original. That doesn’t mean they haven’t been relumed.
Old 20 May 2024, 01:33 AM   #8
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxyzed View Post
Picked up a 90s Sea-Dweller 16600.

In regular light and to the naked eye, the hands and lume plots appear uniform (slightly creamy). But under UV, they appear quite different. Specifically, the lume plots appear dead with sparse flecks of green. The hour and minute hands are mostly dead with more frequent orange/red speckles. And the second hand glows bright green, but then fades about 5 seconds after removing the light.

What do you make of this? Should I expect the plots and hands to behave similarly if they are original, so I should conclude these are replacements? Or not necessarily?

Thanks very much for any thoughts. I'm also searching the forum but haven't found anything quite answering my specific question just yet.
Sounds like a typical relume with a faux tritium mix.

Edited since I observed the OP's photo: I have seen hands/dial plots with those type of speckles before - usually found on watches from the early 1990s. It might very well be original. The solid color on the sweep seconds hand could go either way. It appears genuine and might be original to the watch, and it might not - having been replaced in the past.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2024, 03:27 AM   #9
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Looks fine to me, I have seen many inconsistencies on WGS dials and hands relationships.
And hope that we will never see the truth around
Uprising - MUSE
TuRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2024, 04:49 AM   #10
wxyzed
"TRF" Member

Thanks all. Greatly appreciated.