The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 7 June 2024, 07:25 AM   #1
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

Black Bay 58 in 2024

I've been thinking of picking up a BB58 in blue as a summer 'beater' watch. I previously owned the BB GMT (twice) but despite loving the design of the watch, it always felt too large for me. I enjoyed wearing the GMT on a nato/MN strap, and would probably do the same with the BB58 if I pick one up.

Since it's release I've always liked the watch, but have never found the right time to pick one up, with something else always jumping it's spot on the queue. The hype it received when it first launched was also a little bit of a put-off for me, but this has finally died down with other new releases taking its place in the spotlight.

I've tried it on a couple of times and always found it to wear well, but I see a lot for sale on the secondary market. I wondered how long term owners find this model nearly 4 years after its release and is this model still a good buy in 2024?

nighthawk77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2024, 07:36 AM   #2
winst
"TRF" Member

Great watch, had mine since it was released and under appreciated it for a while I think because of the hype. Did consider selling it at one point as I wasn’t wearing it much but am glad I kept hold of it now, as I have been wearing it a lot recently.

Absolute strap monster, looks great on a blue and white MN strap or the Vanguard Blue Integrated Strap, Looks classy on the bracelet which I have got a perfect fit with now thanks to a couple of Uncle Seiko half links. There’s a pre owned supposedly unworn 2020 UK one with Box & Papers on C24 at the moment for £2500 on bracelet from a dealer. Put in a cheeky offer of £2550 - you never know. Or, if you definitely don’t want the bracelet there’s one on strap for £2075!
winst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2024, 08:25 AM   #3
johnliley
2024 Pledge Member

I love mine. I have it on a Tudor Ranger Bracelet.

JL
Old 7 June 2024, 08:35 AM   #4
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Black Bay 58 in 2024

Solid mechanical watch. My wife owns the black variant and it is still her favourite watch aesthetically in her collection and thus gets worn the most.

I would get one in good condition at lower preowned prices without an afterthought.
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2024, 08:39 AM   #5
Bald Angus
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41, 126334-0017
Tudor is firing on all 8 cylinders right now. I need to pick one up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bald Angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2024, 09:47 AM   #6
Tim Plains
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
I've had mine for two years, bracelet, aesthetics I think are perfect but it's 1-2mm too small. I've felt that way from the beginning and selling it is always in the back of my mind for that reason. The 41mm BB is too thick, that's why I didn't go that route.

I also bought that same blue Tudor strap but always went back to the bracelet within a few days or even hours sometimes. I was the same way with a Rubber B Submariner band. They look great in photos but not on me.

You see a lot on the secondary market because Todor sells a lot of them. You also see a lot of Toyota Camrys and Honda Accords on the secondary market. It means nothing.
Tim Plains is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2024, 10:14 AM   #7
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Was, is, and will continue to be an amazing watch with perfect proportions suitable for a wide range of wrist size, including yours. The only issue I've ever found with it is the clasp: 6 o'clock side of the clasp does not fully articulate with the link and will pull hairs as a result
Old 7 June 2024, 10:18 AM   #8
0nly5iv3Digits
"TRF" Member

Watch: What is "watch"?
Sold my 58 7090N after a month... Would much rather a 7000N.

Solid watch for the money, though. Can't beat it given the depreciation, honestly. Blue ones seem to be a bit cheaper than the gilt on the secondary market as well.

UNpolished or I’m not interested” 😎
2FA Enabled
0nly5iv3Digits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2024, 10:22 AM   #9
Stealthdriver
"TRF" Member

Was my first Swiss watch and still my favorite. Bought it in 2021. Wears so well with any strap and bracelet. I love how it's more under the radar to the layman. Bezel has worn out a little, the gilt color slowly turning silver, but I still love to wear it in any situation.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
Stealthdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2024, 02:20 PM   #10
gm58
"TRF" Member

Great choice for the BB58 in blue - perfect size for me and definitely a strap monster. Can try to go for a delugs delcro to pair, super comfortable and adjustable.

my only gripe - missing a date (unpoplar opinion)
gm58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2024, 05:22 PM   #11
Scottyboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: GP Laureato
I sold my blue BB58 after around a year, was a bit meh for me and the colours were dull in certain lighting situations.

The BB54 on the other hand is fantastic, been on the wrist for 2 months and IMO is far better than the BB58, and it's not a size thing as I also own the 124060 Sub which is much bigger. The black bezel is lovely, and the dial has a slight sunburst, which as we know, can take on many different looks given the ambient lighting conditions.
Scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2024, 11:42 PM   #12
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
I had a BB58 for a year and sold it when I got my sub. I regret that decision because the watch was so nice to look at. The gilt and the domed crystal... if I was honest at the time I preferred it to the sub's monochromatic look.

I want to add it back to my collection soon.
Nads786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2024, 11:53 PM   #13
warrior
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Many people on this forum back when the bb58 was hyped said that Tudor is what Rolex used to be and was during the 5 digit era…or something to that effect. As an owner of A BB58, I’d agree with that re: build quality…. and this is after already having owned a Submariner 14060M which is revered on TRF.
warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2024, 12:35 AM   #14
warrior
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
I think the BB58 —black or blue—is an extremely handsome watch. The blue is a more vibrant “Omega Seamaster Blue Bond” kind of blue but better. Changes from gray blue to a cobalt kind of blue depending on the lighting. I like the BB58 Blue more than the typical sunburst blue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nads786 View Post
I had a BB58 for a year and sold it when I got my sub. I regret that decision because the watch was so nice to look at. The gilt and the domed crystal... if I was honest at the time I preferred it to the sub's monochromatic look.

I want to add it back to my collection soon.
warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2024, 12:56 AM   #15
Know1isgod
"TRF" Member

Had original BB58. Sold it and got a Sub. Then did the opposite. It's one of those pieces that's just right.....
Know1isgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2024, 01:25 AM   #16
delaurent
"TRF" Member

It was my first Swiss watch. Watch over 3000 dollars, I would say. I bought it when I got a stable job (2023) to celebrate with my partner. We went to an AD and it was a very good experience. It is a watch that will always stay with me. Although I am very tempted by another: Rolex Explorer.

Greeting!
delaurent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2024, 03:58 AM   #17
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Black Bay 58 in 2024

Love my black dial on bracelet, which I’ve had for 2 years.

Super comfy, perfect size, and not too thick. I was able to get a good fit on the bracelet, with the U S half link, and using the clasp hack trick from YouTube. It will remain in my collection. Oh, and I would never call any Tudor “a beater!”

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2024, 04:39 AM   #18
rossi46
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16570
I'm putting mine up for sale, as it has sat in the case for a few years now. Still in like-new condition.

Beautiful watch, but two issues I can't get over:
- fake rivets in the bracelet (why not just give it a "normal" oyster?!)
- snowflake hand but circular hour markers (Tudor should have gone square like on the Pelagos and historical diver models).
Old 8 June 2024, 05:07 AM   #19
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossi46 View Post
I'm putting mine up for sale, as it has sat in the case for a few years now. Still in like-new condition.

- snowflake hand but circular hour markers (Tudor should have gone square like on the Pelagos and historical diver models).

I never understood the rivet complaint. You can’t see them while wearing it. Also, I don’t see a disconnect between the snowflake hand and markers. It’s very cohesive. I did read somewhere that the BB58 is one of the most flipped watches, though. For me, it’s a great fitting attractive diver, whereas any of the modern Subs are a bit too big.

Kat

KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2024, 05:37 AM   #20
ppierce
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
I never understood the rivet complaint. You can’t see them while wearing it. Also, I don’t see a disconnect between the snowflake hand and markers. It’s very cohesive. I did read somewhere that the BB58 is one of the most flipped watches, though. For me, it’s a great fitting attractive diver, whereas any of the modern Subs are a bit too big.

Kat

Agreed on the rivets! It is such an overblown nit.
ppierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2024, 05:54 PM   #21
WristWatchWonders
"TRF" Member

I wear my BB58 blue just about every day around the house. I have a 7.25" wrist and have no issue with fit, it's one of my most comfortable watches.
I have never even noticed the rivets, they don't bother me at all.

Sent from my moto g 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk
WristWatchWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2024, 06:46 PM   #22
reposado
"TRF" Member

The ‘58 is a great watch, in both flavours. The only downside is the lack of T-fit on the bracelet. Surely this will be updated at some point, if you wait a bit it might get upgraded to a METAS movement with T-fit clasp and option of a 5 link? Seems to be what happened to the rest of the lineup.

I bought mine in 2020 on the fabric nato strap, which visually I loved but could never quite get the fit perfect.

I ended up selling this year as I knew I’d be buying the ‘58 GMT making my original 58 a bit redundant.

That said, if they released it with T-Fit I’d be really tempted by the blue!

Some good deals on the secondary market though if you didn’t want to wait.
reposado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2024, 03:13 AM   #23
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winst View Post
Great watch, had mine since it was released and under appreciated it for a while I think because of the hype. Did consider selling it at one point as I wasn’t wearing it much but am glad I kept hold of it now, as I have been wearing it a lot recently.

Absolute strap monster, looks great on a blue and white MN strap or the Vanguard Blue Integrated Strap, Looks classy on the bracelet which I have got a perfect fit with now thanks to a couple of Uncle Seiko half links. There’s a pre owned supposedly unworn 2020 UK one with Box & Papers on C24 at the moment for £2500 on bracelet from a dealer. Put in a cheeky offer of £2550 - you never know. Or, if you definitely don’t want the bracelet there’s one on strap for £2075!

Thanks for the response and cheers for the heads up on those items for sale - though I am always a little dubious when something is 4 years old but listed as ‘new’…it’s not like the BB58 was some limited edition worthy of keeping in the safe!
Old 9 June 2024, 03:14 AM   #24
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnliley View Post
I love mine. I have it on a Tudor Ranger Bracelet.

JL

Nice - I’ve seen a few people doing this mod, but also seen some half and easy link options which also look decent!
Old 9 June 2024, 03:15 AM   #25
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeAZ View Post
Was, is, and will continue to be an amazing watch with perfect proportions suitable for a wide range of wrist size, including yours. The only issue I've ever found with it is the clasp: 6 o'clock side of the clasp does not fully articulate with the link and will pull hairs as a result

Good point - I recall reading about this a little while ago. If you pick up a UNcle Straps half link, I think you’re able to reduce this a little…
Old 9 June 2024, 03:17 AM   #26
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyboy View Post
I sold my blue BB58 after around a year, was a bit meh for me and the colours were dull in certain lighting situations.

The BB54 on the other hand is fantastic, been on the wrist for 2 months and IMO is far better than the BB58, and it's not a size thing as I also own the 124060 Sub which is much bigger. The black bezel is lovely, and the dial has a slight sunburst, which as we know, can take on many different looks given the ambient lighting conditions.

I like the 54, and agree that there are several elements of this watch that I prefer. However, I’m looking for something which isn’t black as I have a submariner date in the collection!
Old 9 June 2024, 03:20 AM   #27
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
Love my black dial on bracelet, which I’ve had for 2 years.

Super comfy, perfect size, and not too thick. I was able to get a good fit on the bracelet, with the U S half link, and using the clasp hack trick from YouTube. It will remain in my collection. Oh, and I would never call any Tudor “a beater!”

Kat

Ha sorry Kat - I didn’t mean beater as in something which isn’t good enough to hold its own! I had a Seamaster 300m which I sold last year. Now I have a few cheap (<£200) watches and my Rolex models but nothing between. I feel like something mid range would be nice for the occasions where I don’t want to wear a Rolex, but still have something decent on my wrist!
Old 9 June 2024, 03:21 AM   #28
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossi46 View Post

Thanks for sharing - I don’t think these are too important to me - I certainly didn’t mind either on the BBGMT…

You could always add a Ranger bracelet which does away with the rivets, though can’t help you with the second point!
Old 9 June 2024, 03:24 AM   #29
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reposado View Post
The ‘58 is a great watch, in both flavours. The only downside is the lack of T-fit on the bracelet. Surely this will be updated at some point, if you wait a bit it might get upgraded to a METAS movement with T-fit clasp and option of a 5 link? Seems to be what happened to the rest of the lineup.

I bought mine in 2020 on the fabric nato strap, which visually I loved but could never quite get the fit perfect.

I ended up selling this year as I knew I’d be buying the ‘58 GMT making my original 58 a bit redundant.

That said, if they released it with T-Fit I’d be really tempted by the blue!

Some good deals on the secondary market though if you didn’t want to wait.

Fair point - the 58 GMT is a great package, but not for me as it’s got a little too much gilt and not in the market for a GMT right now! I think you could have the GMT and blue 58 co-existing in your collection though!
Old 9 June 2024, 03:38 AM   #30
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

I sold the original bb58 because u hated the bracelet adjustment. It was way too hard to right fit. Now with t-fit it’s great. I just grabbed the bb58 gmt, and it’s one i had been waiting on for years, just hoping they would finally make it. it’s a great beat around watch, and wears pretty close to the bb58.

shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote