The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 23 May 2012, 09:08 AM   #1
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Day-Date 1803 Movement Question

On the Rolex Day-Date 1803s with the non-quickset 1556 movement, can the day and date be set/advanced independently? I assume yes, but how is it done? Is it just simply pulling out the crown one or two clicks, depending on what you want to change? Or does turning the crown in one direction set the day and turning it the other direction set the date? Any help much appreciated.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2012, 11:34 AM   #2
Rikki
TechXpert

Watch: 5512 s/s Sub
You go to midnight and change the day and date till you get to the correct day then go backwards till about 9 pm the day will go backwards but not the date go forward to midnight till the date changes keep doing this till you get to the correct day and date at midnight then go forward and set to the correct time. Hope that helps Rikki
Rolex Parts Account Holder.
Rikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2012, 11:46 AM   #3
greekbum
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 16750
Here You Go
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1803_Instructions.jpg (97.4 KB, 1636 views)

Original Owner ROLEX 16750 GMT Daily Wearer For Over 13,000 Days And Counting
greekbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2012, 12:18 AM   #4
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Many thanks!! Wow, if ever there was a need for a quick-set function, this is it. Still, gotta love those vintage movements. I especially like the part in the instructions about setting to an exact time. Wonder why Rolex didn't just add a hacking feature, even in the '60s models.
Old 24 May 2012, 12:22 AM   #5
Kingair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough ;-)
This is a real watch you need to work on to change date/time compared to a quick set
But I like it

That's why most brand have quartz models . . . for the lazy ones . . ;-)

HAGOne

Kingair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2012, 03:04 AM   #6
Eulogy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1803 and 16610
I guess those of us with an 1803 can at least not worry about having to manually wind it.

Well worth the occasional effort to reset the day and date to have a true classic to wear.
Eulogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2012, 05:38 AM   #7
Keeperoftime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingair View Post
This is a real watch you need to work on to change date/time compared to a quick set
But I like it

HAGOne

+1

I prefer 1803 non-quicks to quicksets.
Old 24 May 2012, 06:53 AM   #8
bjackson
"TRF" Member

Watch: rolex
it's worth the extra time needed to be able to wear one of these beauties

cheers
bruce
Attached Images
File Type: jpg day date small.jpg (195.9 KB, 1445 views)
bjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2012, 07:28 AM   #9
oceandweller

Rolex DD is the most practical wear

Quote:
But I like it

HAGOne

Kingair

Like you, I admire the Rolex Day-Date most and I think it is the most beautiful watch, ever produced by Rolex.

Though it is not a highly desired time-piece for collection purposes, compared to the Rolex sports watches, I think it is a very practical watch to wear, daily.

We do not dive and we do not use the chronograph functions, every day of the week. However, we do need to know the day and date, day in and day out.

I have one which is a 1959 model and I will not part with it.
oceandweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2012, 08:09 AM   #10
Kingair
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceandweller View Post
Kingair

Like you, I admire the Rolex Day-Date most and I think it is the most beautiful watch, ever produced by Rolex.

Though it is not a highly desired time-piece for collection purposes, compared to the Rolex sports watches, I think it is a very practical watch to wear, daily.

We do not dive and we do not use the chronograph functions, every day of the week. However, we do need to know the day and date, day in and day out.

I have one which is a 1959 model and I will not part with it.
Why should you part with it ?
When I was 16 I was already dreaming of a DD . . . but at that time unreachable . . . .
Now just a few years later ;-) I finally bought one . . . and I enjoy it even that I was never into YG . . .
Last month I bought the YG President bracelet but on leather I enjoy it as much . . .

Great watch the DD . . . . but probably not for all of us . . .

Collectable . . .time will tell . . . but I guess you never are going to buy a $ 30K watch at current prices ever again . . .

My .02

Most TRF's probably will be going for the sporty models . . . why not ?

But that's their mistake . . .

We know better ;-)

Nr 1 & 2 models of Rolex will be forever the Day Date & Daytona

The most wanted/sold daily used . . . . . the Sub

No doubt about it

Or am I wrong ?

HAGOne

And post a pic of your DD !
Old 24 May 2012, 09:45 AM   #11
oceandweller

Rolex Day-Date President circa 1959

Quote:
Why should you part with it ?
When I was 16 I was already dreaming of a DD . . . but at that time unreachable . . . .
Now just a few years later ;-) I finally bought one . . . and I enjoy it even that I was never into YG . . .
Last month I bought the YG President bracelet but on leather I enjoy it as much . . .

Great watch the DD . . . . but probably not for all of us . . .

Collectable . . .time will tell . . . but I guess you never are going to buy a $ 30K watch at current prices ever again . . .

My .02

Most TRF's probably will be going for the sporty models . . . why not ?

But that's their mistake . . .

We know better ;-)

Nr 1 & 2 models of Rolex will be forever the Day Date & Daytona

The most wanted/sold daily used . . . . . the Sub

No doubt about it

Or am I wrong ?

HAGOne

And post a pic of your DD !

Kingair

Your opinion regarding the various types of Rolex watch is correct.

We still believe the Rolex DD is here to stay, whether it is highly collectible or otherwise. Whether the value goes up or down, it will not affect us, since we do not buy to re-sell but to wear.

The new watches are expensive and very likely, they are beyond the reach of many Rolex lovers.

I am sure, apart from you and me, there are many others who love the Rolex Day-Date or President - beautifully simple and relatively cheap, yet stately-looking.

Per your request this is the pix of my humble Rolex DD and I hope, you and other forum members like it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex DDPG .jpg (93.7 KB, 1414 views)
Old 24 May 2012, 04:07 PM   #12
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Beautiful watches, and great to hear such passion about this model. Thanks for sharing.
Old 25 May 2012, 05:57 AM   #13
Eulogy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1803 and 16610
One of these days I will get a great pic like the rest of you. My skills just don't do justice to the piece.

Eulogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2012, 07:05 AM   #14
Kingair
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Kingair

Your opinion regarding the various types of Rolex watch is correct.

We still believe the Rolex DD is here to stay, whether it is highly collectible or otherwise. Whether the value goes up or down, it will not affect us, since we do not buy to re-sell but to wear.

The new watches are expensive and very likely, they are beyond the reach of many Rolex lovers.

I am sure, apart from you and me, there are many others who love the Rolex Day-Date or President - beautifully simple and relatively cheap, yet stately-looking.

Per your request this is the pix of my humble Rolex DD and I hope, you and other forum members like it.
Guess . . . . . it's from 1956 . . ?

Love it !

HAGOne

Old 25 May 2012, 07:17 AM   #15
Kingair
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Beautiful watches, and great to hear such passion about this model. Thanks for sharing.
If you want a nice DD (vintage) I guess it's the time right now.
YG is not really 'in' in Europe . . . . but I see lots of changement from WG to YG (people wearing fools gold mostly) . . . slowly . . . so prices will go up steep during the next years . . .
The only problem is that you need to make sure you find a great watch repair man . . . for a Rolex today.
Rolex (in Europe) is charging now around . . . hold your breath . . . $ 2000.00 for a maintenance on a DD . . .
Glad that my official Rolex Service guy (for me when he is not working for Rolex) charges me . . . . $ 200.00 for the same work ;-)
Come on guys . . . . for one time I can be the lucky one ;-)
Takes about 3 weeks to get it back into shape . . . not the case, bracelet, plexi, etc . .. but the interior . . meaning that there is lots of work on a DD movement to get it . . . beating correct . .

HAGOne

Old 25 May 2012, 08:35 AM   #16
oceandweller

A perpetual classic from Rolex, the Day-Date/President

Quote:
Guess . . . . . it's from 1956 . . ?

Love it !

HAGOne

Kingair

Thank-you, it is a 1959 model reference 1803. Please do not ask me for its movement caliber number. I am trying to learn this subject from collectors, books and forums. When I started, falling in love with watches, there were no 'teachers' who could advise me, unlike today.

The first Rolex DD/President came out in 1956, model reference 6511, arguably high on a a vintage-watch collector's must-have watch. Unfortunately, the day and date discs did not change, at a camera-shutter speed, as anticipated. The movement was lacking in power to perform the anticipated improved calendar-change technology.

The next model reference 6611 came without the calendar-change glitch, since the improved movement managed to gather enough power in the watch to perform the task of camera-shutter lightning fast change.

Like you, I started falling in love with watches, at a tender young age. I just picked any watch that comes with an attractive case and dial. Top of my list, all the time, is the Rolex Day-Date, even though all along I know it is not as desirable as the other Rolex tool and sports watches. I am not moved.

Today, I am trying to find out as to why some DD have a hyphen (-) in 'Oyster-Perpetual', while others do not: 'Oyster Perpetual'. I was not aware of this till I read a Rolex expert's small description of a watch, he had sold. Mr James Dowling's description of his watch, reproduced for educational purposes.

'Model 1803 Day-Date, case number 30559XX from the every early 1970s.

I am the guy who says he does not deal in Day-Dates and Datejusts, and here I am with an 18k white gold Day Date in this listing. However in my defence I must state that this is a most unusual Day-Date, it is the rare white gold 1803 model with a most unusual dial and hands combination.

The watch looks very different to the current models one, and it is not just the plastic crystal, the dial is the classic silver “pie pan” style with a sunburst finish and a chamfered edge to it, the case is considerably slimmer than the sapphire one & it has never had a bracelet attached to it.

The case is the classic Day Date with one small difference; there are no external holes for the spring bars, on either side of the case. As this watch was probably sold on a leather strap, I do not know if this design was just for the watches sold without bracelets or was on all of them.

The movement is the classic slow change 1555, with kif flector shock protection, 27 jewels and adjusted to 5 positions and temperatures.

The dial is a stunning silvered faceted “pie pan” with applied diamond cut fat baton white gold batons and there is an applied Rolex coronet under the Day aperture. The dial is one of the last to use the hyphen between Day and Date; the hands are white gold leaf style with slim luminous inserts.

The case, bezel, dial & movement are all 95%.

Diameter 34mm; Lug to Lug 45mm; Height 13mm, it takes a 20mm bracelet and a new cream leather one is fitted.

SOLD

I think this sentence, 'The dial is one of the last to use the hyphen between Day and Date' should read thus, 'This dial is one of the last to use the hyphen between Oyster and Perpetual', since Day and Date always come with a hyphen (-). I stand to be corrected, Mr James Dowling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RDDWG Dowling .jpg (129.2 KB, 1371 views)
Old 25 May 2012, 08:43 AM   #17
oceandweller

Nice hour markers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
One of these days I will get a great pic like the rest of you. My skills just don't do justice to the piece.

Eulogy

It is a beautiful watch - especially the hour markers at '6' and '9', as well as, the hands. Thanks for sharing and love your DD, always.

Your photography is OK, since it shows the dial and we all can see. It requires a little improvement though, for the picture to come out sharp. Most important is your willingness to share what you have, with forum members.
Old 12 March 2016, 09:09 AM   #18
michael067
Banned

Watch: TT DJ 16233
Day Date

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekbum View Post
Here You Go
Good post, don't think I'll be 'sea bathing' anytime soon, but it did help me set it correctly.
michael067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2016, 12:10 PM   #19
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Two of mine - YG with hyphen and WG without. Little details like this make the 1803 fascinating.

YG 1803 now sold to fund 1802 purchase.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1803s.jpg (96.6 KB, 781 views)
File Type: jpg 1802.jpg (114.6 KB, 781 views)
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2016, 05:19 PM   #20
Willygallardo
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP's - Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
Two of mine - YG with hyphen and WG without. Little details like this make the 1803 fascinating.

YG 1803 now sold to fund 1802 purchase.
Willygallardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2016, 12:00 AM   #21
mineral
"TRF" Member

1803 DD is my favorite too. Thanks for posting them.
Old 2 June 2024, 07:42 AM   #22
veep
"TRF" Member

Does the original 1803 supposed to have non-luminescent hands?
veep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2024, 07:32 AM   #23
miamiclay
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
The case is the classic Day Date with one small difference; there are no external holes for the spring bars, on either side of the case. As this watch was probably sold on a leather strap, I do not know if this design was just for the watches sold without bracelets or was on all of them.
I know I’m necro-posting to a revived 2012 thread, but in the interest of accuracy (and with *all* due respect to Mr. Dowling), afaik no production Day-Dates ever had external spring bar holes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veep View Post
Does the original 1803 supposed to have non-luminescent hands?
I believe they were offered both ways on 1803s. My understanding is that lume hands were mounted on both lume and no-lume dials, while no-lume hands were only ever mounted with no-lume dials.
miamiclay is offline   Reply With Quote