The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 25 November 2010, 01:29 PM   #1
ndb80
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5512 from 1960
Icon5 Submariner 5512 Help please!

Hi everyone, First post here!

I just got a Submariner 5512 , with serial number 6936xx
The bracelet says 501 B and then it says 9315
I looked in the referece section and its not like any of the ones there, from my estimate and the serial # I guess it should be from 1960 but am not entirely sure...

I would appreciate any info that any expert may have to offer with regards to value,rarity etc...

Its not in the best condition and will be sent for a buff up very soon.

Thanks for the help!
ndb80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2010, 05:09 AM   #2
ROGERB
"TRF" Member

Watch: 89 16610, 57 7914,
A very nice watch you have there. Serial puts it in 1961, end pieces (501B) and 9315 bracelet are both newer than the watch ... end pieces early 70's..bracelet early 80's. Removing the case back would confirm what quarter watch is from... my guess first quarter of 61 and movement most likely 1530 or 1560. Bezel is also not original but newer version. These things all affect value but still looks great to me!
R
ROGERB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2010, 05:10 AM   #3
TimeToGo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Welcome to the Forum!

Beautiful watch!
TimeToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2010, 06:40 AM   #4
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
I have a 1962 5512. The original bracelet which is on it--stamped ends are 80. On back of clasp it has the month and year-3 digits. My watch is from December and has a January 63 bracelet--so 1 and 63 stamped on clasp. You can always get a period correct bracelet. It comes with a rivet bracelet. Nice watch you have there!!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2010, 11:03 AM   #5
Rickster
"TRF" Member

Nice! I been looking for a 5512 for my next purchase. Although they are not impossible to find a nice clean one is. I hope to find one as nice as yours. The bezel I dont think is original but you can always have that changed out. Great find!
Rickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2010, 07:50 PM   #6
eparisini
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263 FAP
It's from the end of 1960, shoud have 7206/80 bracelet, fat dont bezel insert... but it looks have a great dial!
Old 26 November 2010, 10:45 PM   #7
ndb80
"TRF" Member

Thanks to everyone who replied

So just to summarize the updates you guys have given:

Watch is late 1960 or early 1961
Bracelet end pieces (501B) are early 70s
And bracelet itself (9315) is early 80s

Some of you guys also mentioned the bezel not being the original one it should have for the age...any guesses which year bezel it is and which one it should have instead?

Also are there anymore features on it..as in like the 'metres first' or the 'pointed crown guards' can anyone spot anymore value adding characteristics ??

I can take more pics if you guys ask me which angles are needed to see whatever relevant detail...

Also since posting I have received a couple PM's enquiring if im interested in selling...I am not sure yet what to do with it, I got inteding to wear it 24/7 but hadnt realized just 'how' vintage it was...

Would anyone be able to give me a rough indication as to what value the watch with its current components would have?
I am trying to get hold of some papers but watch belonged to somebody whos now deceased so its matter of sorting thru a basment full of junk.. :( so I guess its the paperless/boxless value i'm interested in....

Thanks for the time anyone may take to reply...
Old 27 November 2010, 01:33 AM   #8
Racer X
"TRF" Member

I'm no expert on 5512s, but these early ones are unique and desirable for the closed seconds ring (ring around the outer edge of the dial).

As for the components that are not period correct, this is pretty common with vintage Rolexes and does not make a big difference in value. Most important is the condition of the dial and the case, and that the dial and case match in terms of time period.

Beautiful watch btw!
Racer X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2010, 01:37 AM   #9
Racer X
"TRF" Member

Also, I'd be careful about buffing or polishing. These processes remove metal and if not done well or done too aggressively can REALLY hurt the value of the watch.
Old 27 November 2010, 01:43 AM   #10
Racer X
"TRF" Member

Sorry about the multiple posts. Just having my coffee and my brain isn't fully functional.

As for value, you might search the For Sale section of the site. A few of these 5512s have been put up for sale recently and you can at least see what typical asking prices are.
Old 27 November 2010, 01:49 AM   #11
HL65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer X View Post
Also, I'd be careful about buffing or polishing. These processes remove metal and if not done well or done too aggressively can REALLY hurt the value of the watch.
Never polish a vintage!! So many watches ruined by over-zealous polishing!! As stated-you can always get a period correct bracelet/band--the money is in the dial and watch itself-and that is a great dial!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 27 November 2010, 01:54 AM   #12
EGP
"TRF" Member

A word of caution about revealing too much on this site....
I just inherited an early 5512 from my grandfather, and on Monday night it was stolen from my house in London. Various conspiracy theories have been flying around the forum such as tracing my postings to my address etc.
In my case it would indeed seem to point to it being targeted- the entire house was rifled through, but only the watch was taken, but I just don't know. While I am not entirely convinced, I would recommend that you keep it safe and well hidden, so for yours and my sake, take care of it- its a beautiful watch.
By the way, sorry to bring such a downer on a casual inquiry, and I know I havn't contributed anything!
EGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2010, 02:03 AM   #13
HL65

Word to the wise--Prevention and protection. Even though I have a safe, alarm system, cameras and motion detectors--still take majority of watches to bank safety deposit box now. One can never be too safe IMHO. Some might think I am paranoid--I think I am spot on! Also--Have a separate insurance policy covering them all just in case!! It is a bit expensive but worth the money in the long run. Sorry about your loss.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 27 November 2010, 03:03 AM   #14
Yazo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Great advice Ken... I do the same!!
Yazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2010, 03:08 AM   #15
HL65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazo View Post
Great advice Ken... I do the same!!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 27 November 2010, 07:36 PM   #16
ndb80
"TRF" Member

Quote:
OK No polishing the metal then !!!

Can i still buff the crystal tho? in pic looks quite good but there a are few scratches i'd really like to remove...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGP View Post
I just inherited an early 5512 from my grandfather, and on Monday night it was stolen from my house in London. Various conspiracy theories have been flying around the forum such as tracing my postings to my address etc.
In my case it would indeed seem to point to it being targeted- the entire house was rifled through, but only the watch was taken, but I just don't know. While I am not entirely convinced, I would recommend that you keep it safe and well hidden, so for yours and my sake, take care of it- its a beautiful watch.
By the way, sorry to bring such a downer on a casual inquiry, and I know I havn't contributed anything!
Thank you for the very good advice and sorry to hear about what happened to you mate....

Also staying on this note, what insurance would you guys recomend for this type of watch? I guess its beyond my general house contents insurance...?And for travel insurance...?

Once again thanks for all the help, really feeling at home here despite being a newbie..
Old 27 November 2010, 09:10 PM   #17
ndb80
"TRF" Member

sorry repopst
Old 27 November 2010, 09:53 PM   #18
ndb80
"TRF" Member

Sorry for double (triple even...) posting browser was freaking out this morning..so i made this second post more exhaustive!

Quote:
I'm no expert on 5512s, but these early ones are unique and desirable for the closed seconds ring (ring around the outer edge of the dial).

As for the components that are not period correct, this is pretty common with vintage Rolexes and does not make a big difference in value. Most important is the condition of the dial and the case, and that the dial and case match in terms of time period.

Beautiful watch btw!
OK thanks...closed seconds ring added to feature list!

Can you tell me anything about the bezel though? What does Gilt bezel mean, or whay is this fat or not fat...?

btw pls if there is a sticky or somethng that explains the jargon please point me towards it, I have searched but not found, perhaps an idea to make one if one does not exist...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFan1965 View Post
Never polish a vintage!! So many watches ruined by over-zealous polishing!! As stated-you can always get a period correct bracelet/band--the money is in the dial and watch itself-and that is a great dial!

OK no case polishing then, but its ok to have the acrylic polished right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGP View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFan1965 View Post
Word to the wise--Prevention and protection. Even though I have a safe, alarm system, cameras and motion detectors--still take majority of watches to bank safety deposit box now. One can never be too safe IMHO. Some might think I am paranoid--I think I am spot on! Also--Have a separate insurance policy covering them all just in case!! It is a bit expensive but worth the money in the long run. Sorry about your loss.
Yeh security is a concern, i havent insured it as yet, can anyone reccomend any companies or packages etc..?

I do have decent security at home, a safe and rather large (and flatulent but thats another story) staff bull terrier so hopefully ill be ok,but i did get this intending to wear it 24/7, and now am a bit concerned... Im slightly more concerned about it on my wrist when I am out than when I am at home...

Thanks for all the info, so glad I joined this great community, and hey what a hobby to put on a resume!
Old 9 December 2010, 05:11 AM   #19
gmtking
"TRF" Member

nice! drop me a line if you are going to sell it!!!!
gmtking is offline   Reply With Quote