The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 17 March 2010, 10:57 AM   #1
clew84
"TRF" Member

Watch: me soar
Askmen.com article

Way behind the curve here when it comes to Omega. My first nice watch was an Omega Seamaster (still have it). I saw this article and it concerned me - is this true? Try to disregard the tone and his lack of manners:
http://www.askmen.com/fashion/mens-w...-to-omega.html
Autodromo Prototipo
clew84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2010, 11:14 AM   #2
JBat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16610, DJ
The watch snob is aptly named.
JBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2010, 12:23 PM   #3
tkc324
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona AP DD Sub
He is hilarious... prob some kid that read about watch instead of owning them...
tkc324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2010, 12:25 PM   #4
Mockingbird
"TRF" Member

I read the other questions below, and felt like slapping the stupid man.
1. He's obviously lying, nobody who actually owned those watches would go around bragging about them and how superior he is to other people because he owns them.
2. It seems that he's deficient somewhere else, and has some sort of complex, that makes him want to brag about wealth to the internet, hoping that somebody will care.

I really don't have an opinion about what he said about Omega, it's true that it used to be more respected than it is now, but in my book, it's still a very respected company, and their new sales strategies and models, reveal their plans to try to top Rolex.
Mockingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2010, 12:27 PM   #5
kyle L
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer I
What I don't get is why he doesn't post pictures of his Patek, Omega, A Lange and Daytona in his stories. Instead he posts a picture of a $10 generic watch on his wrist.
kyle L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2010, 05:39 PM   #6
cody p
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air-King 114200
he entertains me - but your mileage may vary.
cody p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2010, 07:40 PM   #7
TheBluePrince
"TRF" Member

Omega say that they are cutting off Ad's who won't carry the now much larger range of stock that they demand be carried to stay an AD. They are also cutting off the smaller AD's and one's that sell less etc. They've been doing this for a couple of years now.

What they don't tell us is all the Ad's dropping THEM because of the ott demands made of the AD's and because of the massively increasing failure rate of new watches over the last 2-3 years and then awful customer service/repair by the service centres after a watch has failed. I personally know 3 Ad's who have dropped Omega in the last 18 months because of these factors.

Omega have a 3 point plan to be seen as equal as Rolex. They started this some time ago now. It is -

1. In house range of movements - co-axial and 8500 based line.
2. Celebrity endorsement - Bond, Cindy, Clooney etc...
3. Increase price to be same as Rolex. Average price will increase to 5500-6000 Euros.
TheBluePrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2010, 07:55 PM   #8
TheBluePrince
"TRF" Member

I've just read a few more of the watch snob's articles - he's actually bang on the money in most cases and not afraid to speak the truth. Obviously the column is edited to be a little harsh and edgy with an attitude but if you see past that he is talking a lot of sense in most cases.
Old 17 March 2010, 10:34 PM   #9
clew84
"TRF" Member

Watch: me soar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBluePrince View Post
I've just read a few more of the watch snob's articles - he's actually bang on the money in most cases and not afraid to speak the truth. Obviously the column is edited to be a little harsh and edgy with an attitude but if you see past that he is talking a lot of sense in most cases.
I actually like his articles and take them as entertainment as far as the insults go. However, I thought he went a little too far with this comments on Americans.

Still, his comments on watches are pretty good.
Autodromo Prototipo
clew84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2010, 02:03 AM   #10
shandy
Banned

Well what do you expect from such a lowest common denomonater site such as this. It is like going to Maxim and expecting to get quality journalism!
shandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2010, 04:01 AM   #11
openwheelracing
"TRF" Member

watch snob! LOL I think the douche ran out of thoughts to write.
openwheelracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2010, 06:17 AM   #12
JBat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16610, DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by shandy View Post
Well what do you expect from such a lowest common denomonater site such as this. It is like going to Maxim and expecting to get quality journalism!
Exactly.
JBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2010, 06:58 AM   #13
Ed Rooney
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 16600
He's funny, but anyone who thinks a Patek Aquanaut is more rugged than a Datejust is delusional.
Ed Rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2010, 12:01 PM   #14
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBluePrince View Post
Omega say that they are cutting off Ad's who won't carry the now much larger range of stock that they demand be carried to stay an AD. They are also cutting off the smaller AD's and one's that sell less etc. They've been doing this for a couple of years now.

What they don't tell us is all the Ad's dropping THEM because of the ott demands made of the AD's and because of the massively increasing failure rate of new watches over the last 2-3 years and then awful customer service/repair by the service centres after a watch has failed. I personally know 3 Ad's who have dropped Omega in the last 18 months because of these factors.

Omega have a 3 point plan to be seen as equal as Rolex. They started this some time ago now. It is -

1. In house range of movements - co-axial and 8500 based line.
2. Celebrity endorsement - Bond, Cindy, Clooney etc...
3. Increase price to be same as Rolex. Average price will increase to 5500-6000 Euros.
What is the failure rate of Omega compared to other brands, such as Rolex? Curious.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2010, 09:51 PM   #15
TheBluePrince
"TRF" Member

Well you're never going to get official figures but ask a few ADs and look around the watch forums. Omega's have been failing a lot more in the last 2-3 years than they used to.

The failure of a lot of 3313 chrono movements is well documented and there have also been problems with the 2500 movement....they have modded it a couple of times and now they're at 2500C but this is still having failures. Older previously "rock solid" movements like the 1861 in the moonwatch have also been going wrong which hardly ever used to happen. Again, this is well documented on the web and if you ask trusted ADs. I reported this on WUS forum a couple of years ago but was laughed at, not believed, abused and insulted. However since then multiple others have come forward with similar stories.

Their other main problem is the inability of the repair centres to fix the watches in a decent amount of time. It used to take them about 4 weeks and they got it right. Now it's taking upto a year in some cases and the watches are coming back still broken and in worse condition than when they were sent there.

I think Omega tried to do too much too fast and have paid the price in the slipping of quality standards. Also the adoption of a new technology (co-ax) caused problems. They seem to be getting on top of it now and i expect them to return to previous high standards.