The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 April 2022, 07:41 AM   #1
JParm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
What drives your collection?

Is it the need to have all the hot models? Or is it just 1 watch from each brand? Are you Rolex-only? Tool watches or mostly dress watches?

When I first started, I thought that I only needed one watch from each brand; there are so many good ones out there and I thought all Rolex models looked the same. I then went to an almost Rolex-only model, but lately I've started coming back around to "there are more fish in the sea than Rolex only".

I've let a couple of classic watches go recently, including a birth year Sub, to get something a bit different from other brands. I've realized that while I like nice things, I want my nice things to be just a bit different. So my driver isn't what's hot or most fawned over - it's more about liking the things that I like that maybe not everyone has.

Green DD40? Nah, I'll take chocolate. Black Sub? Not for me, I want that splash of green (remember, these things used to just SIT at the AD back in 2017 when I purchased mine). Everyone says fluted / jubilee with blue dial for the DJ? Nope, really like the white on white jubilee / smooth.

Obviously some things are just classics (my GMT, for example), but for the most part, I'm driven away from hot models in lieu of what I actually want.

Let me know what drives your collection!

Old 27 April 2022, 07:47 AM   #2
DubOhio
"TRF" Member

I primarily like Rolex, but I buy only what I like and that has no correlation to what everyone else (the internet) thinks. I have Casio, Seiko, Apple, Rolex, ect.. Just whatever catches my eye and I think i'll actually wear.
DubOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2022, 07:54 AM   #3
sjap68
"TRF" Member

I feel I’m probably a little like the OP “ beauty is in the eye of the beholder”
If I like the watch, I will get the watch. As an example I have never wanted a Rolex Sub there is nothing about any one of them that makes me want one, but I would never find fault with someone who’s dream is to own one , same goes for the Daytona.
sjap68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2022, 07:59 AM   #4
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

My collection is very much a work in progress. I'm primarily on 3 brands right now, Rolex, Omega, and Tudor. I think 3 to 4 professional Rolex model would be good, GMT, Sub, SD, and a Daytona if I ever get the chance. Then I have a moon phase speedmaster, and a sea master. And I also have a Tudor chrono and a neo-vintage Tudor sub. So in the near future, I want to add
- Sub ND or Kermit
- classic moonwatch

In the long term
- Daytona panda

And then I'd be complete. If given the chance, I would upgrade my batman to newest model so it has 70hr reserve.

And then I have like 3 watches for other use, a MR-G G-Shock, a Dufrane dress watch, and right now a Nezumi. But I haven't bond with the Nezumi. It's a limited RUF edition. I had a regular one 2 years ago and gave it away to my brother, and I kinda missed it, so I bought this. But I don't have any emotional attachment to it, so if another microbrand comes along it might get replaced.

I love the Tudor Sub now, but I have a feeling that eventually it will get traded out.

And then I have the headache of managing my wife's watch collection. I somehow got her into watches. But as with fast cars, she doesn't want to know anything about how it works, just to be able to use it. Like she expects me to wind it for her and sync the clock for her every time. It can get annoying.
amphr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2022, 08:01 AM   #5
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PM’s/Patek
Taste
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
JSCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2022, 08:03 AM   #6
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Randomness

Element of surprise

When you put it on your wrist you just know. Value, perception or exclusivity doesn’t matter nor drive my purchase choices. I may own watches others want to be seen wearing but we buy the same watches for different reasons.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2022, 08:07 AM   #7
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Usability. If I don’t want to wear it after awhile then I get rid of it. To me a collection needs to be flexible and speak to your personal style. We grow as a individual through life and the watch collection reflects this as well. If you get it right. contentment will your collection sets in and searching for “the next one” isn’t a issue any more. Speaking out of experience, try not to compromise or settle as it will only cost you more money in the end. Pony up and get the model you really want.
Old 27 April 2022, 08:14 AM   #8
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Simple really, what I like and will wear.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2022, 08:14 AM   #9
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Aesthetics

Comfort

How the brand makes me feel

—————————————

Haven’t really been in the mood to wear Rolex lately but always keep a couple in arms reach for when I come around.
Old 27 April 2022, 08:19 AM   #10
Lamontsanders
"TRF" Member

Buy what I like and what I’ll wear. If stuff isn’t getting worn it’s getting moved. I do try to avoid too much overlap (excluding divers - I love divers).
Lamontsanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2022, 08:20 AM   #11
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

These high values make it hard for me to worry free wear some of my nicest ones. I’ve been wearing omega, gs a bit more these days
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2022, 08:24 AM   #12
Lamontsanders
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezy14@hotmail.com View Post
Is it the need to have all the hot models? Or is it just 1 watch from each brand? Are you Rolex-only? Tool watches or mostly dress watches?

When I first started, I thought that I only needed one watch from each brand; there are so many good ones out there and I thought all Rolex models looked the same. I then went to an almost Rolex-only model, but lately I've started coming back around to "there are more fish in the sea than Rolex only".

I've let a couple of classic watches go recently, including a birth year Sub, to get something a bit different from other brands. I've realized that while I like nice things, I want my nice things to be just a bit different. So my driver isn't what's hot or most fawned over - it's more about liking the things that I like that maybe not everyone has.

Green DD40? Nah, I'll take chocolate. Black Sub? Not for me, I want that splash of green (remember, these things used to just SIT at the AD back in 2017 when I purchased mine). Everyone says fluted / jubilee with blue dial for the DJ? Nope, really like the white on white jubilee / smooth.

Obviously some things are just classics (my GMT, for example), but for the most part, I'm driven away from hot models in lieu of what I actually want.

Let me know what drives your collection!

Great collection and photos. How does the Alpine Eagle wear? That dial is beautiful.
Lamontsanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2022, 08:26 AM   #13
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
While I've always really liked Rolex, just recently I've started seriously looking at other brands. I feel somewhat embarrassed but I honestly knew nothing about Longines until just recently, and they predate Rolex by over 80 years. I had always seen their signs on clocks at Olympic events but that was it. Their prices are exceptional, too. Their new Zulu Time GMT is beautiful and it's a true GMT movement. You can get 3 of them for the price of one GMT Master II at MSRP.

Besides all of the big names there are also small, boutique, artisan watch makers and I never knew they even existed. Some of the watches that members post here are like works of art - quite literally. I feel like I would really be missing out on some amazing finds if I only focused purely on Rolex.

Twenty years ago last week, I almost bought a sub or Explorer 1 to celebrate my 30th. I never did, so in 2020 I finally bought the OP36 with the Explorer dial. It was a newer and better watch than the watch I had originally looked at all of those years ago, and I've been very pleased. I've been waiting for over a year for a new sub from my AD and hopefully that happens this summer. Then I'll have the newer version of the sub that I had neglected to buy all of those years ago. That will be it for a while.

I think after that I'll branch out into some other brands before eventually coming back to Rolex for another upcoming milestone in a few years.

Someday I would like a couple of Rolex pieces from the '50s to have a small vintage collection. Someday!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2022, 08:27 AM   #14
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
The primary criteria that guides my collection is that the watches themselves have to have some kind of sentimental meaning to me. Mostly, I try to emulate the collection I grew up admiring.
I’m primarily a Rolex and Tudor enthusiast as their design identity matches my taste to the tee. I find that I am drawn to watches that match my personality and lifelong pursuits. I also admire watches from brands outside the Wilsdorf family and have added them to my collection thus far.

kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2022, 08:28 AM   #15
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Meaning drives my collection. I have left in my collection only watches with a story. My 16610 gifted to me by my deceased mother back in 1998. My seiko H558 purchased last year, and was the watch that started it all, the one that got me interested in watches in the first place, and a hamilton given to be by surprise by my wife for Christmas in 2010. She actually bought it under my nose without me knowing and kept it a few months.

What most chase is dopamine and what I have realized is that one can always trade and flip and those urges all always there. It’s the watch with the meaning and story that stays.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2022, 08:30 AM   #16
illiguy

First “serious” watch I loved was an Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean. Then became enamored with the Submariner and then caught the Rolex bug. Since then, collection has expanded to IWC, Grand Seiko, and what would be deemed “Holy Trinity” manufacturers. Some briefly, and others as long-term keepers. Once I’ve established some core staples that have always been my grails, Sub and Speedy, I’ve had a lot of fun (and sometimes pain) trying to curate a collection that is interesting and speaks to me. While I own some “hype” pieces, it is because I simply enjoy wearing them.
illiguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2022, 08:32 AM   #17
synrrgy
"TRF" Member

Variety and something I would want in my collection. There are a lot of timepieces I want but availability is always an issue and I'd rather not go gray dealer if I don't have to. Markups for timepieces nowadays are crazy!
synrrgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2022, 08:34 AM   #18
synrrgy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamontsanders View Post
Buy what I like and what I’ll wear. If stuff isn’t getting worn it’s getting moved. I do try to avoid too much overlap (excluding divers - I love divers).
+1 to this btw... I've consolidated my collection and gotten rid of pieces that I no longer use or haven't in a while. Over the last year I've let go of 5 pieces for this reason.
synrrgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2022, 08:38 AM   #19
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

I like to have each watch bring me a totally different experience on the wrist. I don't like when some overlap in looks or function. So I have ended up with these for the moment which provide me the ideal balance for what I like

SS GMTII BLNR
AP ROC 38mm
Patek calatrava 5296g sector dial that I mix with casual and dressy straps
Speedy hesalite (similar strap versatility)

I would eventually like to get back into a daytona in PM. I like to keep my collection in 4-6 range
Old 27 April 2022, 08:39 AM   #20
ThatOtherGuy7
"TRF" Member

Where in NorCal are you? I’m in the South Bay. Should definitely get a TRF meet going sometime for coffee.

I don’t really have a collection per se. Been lucky enough to get a black Sub followed by a Cermit. Ultimately, I would like to have the Cermit, Bruce Wayne, and Panda. I don’t need anything more than that. What’s my reasoning behind that? Well, I simply like dive watches and like contrast. My favorite watch that goes with me when traveling is my Omega Seamaster. It’s been with me all over the world, from the jungles of Vietnam to the glaciers in Iceland.

As someone who’s very much into travel, the GMT looks and functions just seem to fit. I don’t like too many colors so prefer the black and blue over Pepsi. I’m also into cars so the Daytona is another piece that speaks to me. With those three, I’ll have land, sea, and air covered.
ThatOtherGuy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2022, 08:39 AM   #21
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Dial color/texture, case size and complication variety.

Price range plays a role, if I’m being honest. >$3k ish to <$10k (retail) is my zone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2022, 08:43 AM   #22
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Simple really, what I like and will wear.

100% agree. No need to complicate this hobby. This is it for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2022, 08:47 AM   #23
amanbra
"TRF" Member

The love of chronos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
amanbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2022, 09:08 AM   #24
doboy007
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/LVc/SkyD/ND41
my desire :)
doboy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2022, 09:09 AM   #25
ltmgeller

Watch: Rolex
I'm a mostly Rolex collector and collect the models I like. The best example of this is my YG YMII. I love the watch, and I've read all the negative reviews here on the forum. I wear what I like. Usually something that is different or eye catching for me (I only have 1 good eye). I picked up a Grans Seiko Shunbun because the dial is incredible. I have a speedmaster because of the history. I have a bunch of Tudors because I think they are cool. Art the end of the day, its about personal preference.
Old 27 April 2022, 09:19 AM   #26
samuel019

Watch: Me go broke!!!!
2 things drive my collection “at the moment”

First off I will always be solely a Rolex collector and have always been granted I’ve owned a few non Rolex models in the past. Unless I get a call for a PP 5905 but Rolex will always be what drives me.

Secondly what drives me is I’m in my Everose phase. However it’s been strictly SS and TT in the past as well. Point being is my tastes will and have changed but it always ends with Rolex.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg E6056072-BE6A-4B08-91F6-ED1432444E32.jpeg (81.8 KB, 517 views)
Old 27 April 2022, 09:27 AM   #27
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

What drives my collection is what I like and what I like wearing. Last watch was a SS BLRO. Next one will be a blue SS Sky Dweller. Today I bought a Casio vintage 3294, just like I used to wear in the '80s (but black this time). I've adjusted the bracelet for a really floppy fit, just like many people (me included) used to do in the 80s. It cost me £44. I love it and it will go into rotation when I've worn it for a few days/weeks, like I do any new watch.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2022, 09:27 AM   #28
JParm

Watch: Yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Speaking out of experience, try not to compromise or settle as it will only cost you more money in the end. Pony up and get the model you really want.
Absolutely agree with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamontsanders View Post
Great collection and photos. How does the Alpine Eagle wear? That dial is beautiful.
Thank you! The AE is very comfortable, and I love how the watch feels and shines. I've only had it for a couple weeks but it's already becoming a favorite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOtherGuy7 View Post
Where in NorCal are you? I’m in the South Bay. Should definitely get a TRF meet going sometime for coffee.
You just missed a great GTG in SF last month! I think there's another in May, but I won't be able to make that as it's on a weekday and I'm in Monterey.
Old 27 April 2022, 09:30 AM   #29
Oyster Sauce
"TRF" Member

I buy what I "think" I like.

The tricky thing is that there are many watches that seem really great in theory (and are objectively awesome on others' wrists), but in reality I don't end up wearing because they don't click with me.

Thus, I only ending keeping what I "actually" like and will wear. Through a bit of trial an error, experience, and slightly improved discipline , the overlap between what I "think" I like and what I "actually" like is improving.
Oyster Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2022, 09:31 AM   #30
SAAS
"TRF" Member

Mental illness. I prefer this to $500 an hour
SAAS is offline   Reply With Quote