The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 January 2024, 11:41 AM   #1
DDinUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610ln, 116518ln
11 years old 116610ln, to service or not?

It’s my first Rolex, I haven’t been wearing it much in the last few years, but every time I put it on, it keeps good time, I haven’t noticed anything (knock on wood) wrong.

It’s never serviced, I don’t know if I should, main reason being I live in NYC area, and the rumors about the NYC RSC were true to me: had them worked on my two other Rolexes, left crazy marks on both watches, and failed to fix the slowness problem on my 1 year old 116233 after opening it up.

I’ve heard good things about Dallas RSC, but I don’t feel comfortable mailing this watch out as it carries great sentimental value to me.

At this point I’m leaning towards not servicing the watch until it fails on me, or before giving it to my son when he graduates from college in about 19 years, am I crazy?
DDinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2024, 11:52 AM   #2
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

No need to service it
omar-rye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2024, 11:52 AM   #3
Kap007
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116900
Do not service; running well. When the time arises you could always use an independent watchmaker.
Kap007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2024, 12:07 PM   #4
DDinUS
"TRF" Member

��, sounds like I’m not crazy on this.
Old 22 January 2024, 12:46 PM   #5
painexpert
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar-rye View Post
no need to service it
+1

"No Good Deed Goes Unpunished"-Oscar Wilde

"Never Allow Someone To Be Your Priority While Allowing Yourself To Be Their Option"-Mark Twain
painexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2024, 12:54 PM   #6
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDinUS View Post
��, sounds like I’m not crazy on this.
Nope. The watch will let you know when it needs service. After 11 years might want to think about a simple test for water resistance, which can be done almost anywhere.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2024, 01:02 PM   #7
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
A reputable watchmaker probably wouldn't recommend that you not service it until they had a least put it on a timegrapher and or simply opened it up to have a good visual of the movement to see if it's running dry.
Of course you may opt to delay a service depending upon how much it is worn without much down side at this point, but it's on the down hill slope.
Then there is the condition of the seals and gaskets to consider in terms of water resistance.

At some point you are going to have to make a decision as to how you will proceed with your Rolex servicing one way or another.
You may need to work out a way to go to a top notch independent.
You are fortunate in that there are options available to you and if you can overcome the logistics you will be set
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2024, 02:47 PM   #8
Tim Plains
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
I'm going to service mine at the 10 year mark, even if it's running perfectly, I'm also the guy who changes engine oil early.

I used to think I would only service movements when they show problems but sentiments like this at 5:40 - 6:10 changed my mind. https://youtu.be/23JVzXqKWz4?si=LC44S_876zCaRmbu
Tim Plains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2024, 03:20 PM   #9
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Take it to a watchmaker to put on his timegrapher. You’ll know quickly if a service is needed.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2024, 05:08 PM   #10
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
Take it to a watchmaker to put on his timegrapher. You’ll know quickly if a service is needed.
That's the thing with this business.
A Timegrapher can tell you it may need a service, but it can't tell you that it doesn't need a service.
I think this is especially true for 31xx and prior mainstream Rolex movements.
Old 22 January 2024, 05:20 PM   #11
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Plains View Post
I'm going to service mine at the 10 year mark, even if it's running perfectly, I'm also the guy who changes engine oil early.

I used to think I would only service movements when they show problems but sentiments like this at 5:40 - 6:10 changed my mind. https://youtu.be/23JVzXqKWz4?si=LC44S_876zCaRmbu
RSC replaces all worn components at no extra cost.
omar-rye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2024, 06:29 PM   #12
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar-rye View Post
RSC replaces all worn components at no extra cost.
Well actually they don't.
There is a set list of parts which are routinely replaced at service and are included in the set service price.
Other things are replaced at an added cost.
How do I know?
Because I have been charged the extra as listed on the quote which Rolex provides prior to getting the go ahead.
The watch was basically running great and timekeeping was improving slightly, but there was something a little off with the watch. Actually the top gun service assistant at the dealer said there was nothing wrong with it and from her inspection determined it didn't need a service but if i wanted it, they would send it off to the RSC.
As I normally don't get much more than 5 - 5.5 years out of any daily wearer auto winder of any brand before they either stop or show signs of needing some love, the watch was due historically speaking.

To summarise, it was a standard service + some extra unforseen attention to put things right.
Investigation revealed that had i not serviced the watch when i did, it would have been even more costly down the track
Old 22 January 2024, 07:48 PM   #13
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
If it’s running fine then I’d leave it. Eventually it will need a service you might notice a change in something like how it feels when you wind it up or how well it’s keeping time and then at that point take it to see maybe a good independent
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2024, 07:55 PM   #14
uansari1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Plains View Post

I’m with this guy…I change my oil a bit early or on time as well. I also get the coolant and brake fluid flushed every 2-3 years and transmission fluid replaced on time. Prevention > repairs, and is cheaper too.

I knew I’d have to service my watches every 7-10 years and that’s what I signed up for… so they go for service within that timeframe even if something apparent is not wrong.
Explorer 124270
Omega Seamaster GMT 50th Anniversary
uansari1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2024, 08:12 PM   #15
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Personally I’d leave it be
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2024, 09:52 PM   #16
wgdaytona
2024 Pledge Member

If it aint broke don't fix it... Well, maybe.
wgdaytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2024, 10:03 PM   #17
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would service it and use NYC RSC and hand deliver the watch. I would respectfully discuss the prior situations and ask for special care. All things mechanical need servicing at some point and 11 years is a fair amount of time to have it serviced even if it is running ok.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2024, 10:59 PM   #18
yankeeromeo
2024 Pledge Member

If ain't broke don't fix!
yankeeromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 12:39 AM   #19
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I'd leave it alone - especially since you've haven't been wearing it daily for 11 years. What's the actual wearing time during that period? Could be almost "NOS".
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 12:51 AM   #20
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

I serviced mine at 10 years. As I frequently take mine swimming and snorkeling, I want the added peace of knowing the gaskets are fresh. In fact, I pressure tested it as well at the five year mark. I should note, it was still running perfectly at the 10 year mark.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 01:13 AM   #21
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
If it's operating as it should I'd wait on getting it serviced.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 02:28 AM   #22
Rmoor
"TRF" Member

When do you service your vehicle? When your engine seizes or at the recommended intervals?
Rmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 03:41 AM   #23
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmoor View Post
When do you service your vehicle? When your engine seizes or at the recommended intervals?
There are good points raised so far, with the big unknown for us being how much it's worn and how hard is it's life.
I do suspect the OP has ample time on their side to sort out his RSC servicing dilemma, as he basically has a 30 year plan.
I think he needs to find the right independent that will work closely with him and open it up for a proper visual assessment and make an informed decision.

Servicing at proper intervals is fine, but in some cases like this it's a judgement call.
We need to be mindful that at the time the watch was made, the unofficial Rolex recommendation was basically in line with industry standards which was 5 - 7 years with the only exception being Omega Co-axials at 7 - 8 years. IIRC
But i think that assumes daily wearing.
The youtube video Tim Plains put a link to outlines key points and gives context
But doesn't cover the Achiles heel of Rolex bread and butter movements of the era for the watch in question, which is the Jewelled slipper bearing mounting of the Oscilating weight.
Old 23 January 2024, 10:39 AM   #24
DDinUS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmoor View Post
Funny you should ask, I’ve never owned a vehicle more than 3 years and never paid for a service… but I get the idea.
Old 23 January 2024, 10:43 AM   #25
mjolnir2thor
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5226G & 5513(1963)
What's that expression... don't fix what is not broken!

My son had his 116610ln and had to return to the AD 3 times since the seconds hand stopped post service. The last 2 times, of the three, the watch was sent to the Rolex Service center. Every time that case is opened there is a risk of damage no matter who services it.
mjolnir2thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 10:45 AM   #26
DDinUS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
There are good points raised so far, with the big unknown for us being how much it's worn and how hard is it's life.
I do suspect the OP has ample time on their side to sort out his RSC servicing dilemma, as he basically has a 30 year plan.
I think he needs to find the right independent that will work closely with him and open it up for a proper visual assessment and make an informed decision.

Servicing at proper intervals is fine, but in some cases like this it's a judgement call.
We need to be mindful that at the time the watch was made, the unofficial Rolex recommendation was basically in line with industry standards which was 5 - 7 years with the only exception being Omega Co-axials at 7 - 8 years. IIRC
But i think that assumes daily wearing.
The youtube video Tim Plains put a link to outlines key points and gives context
But doesn't cover the Achiles heel of Rolex bread and butter movements of the era for the watch in question, which is the Jewelled slipper bearing mounting of the Oscilating weight.
Thanks for the detailed input. I’d say the watch’s had about 3 to 4 years of daily wrist time, my most wore one, but I never beat it up or anything. With all the input in this thread, I think I’m gonna skip servicing the watch this time, maybe have my AD open it up and take a look for me next time I visit them.
Old 23 January 2024, 10:46 AM   #27
DDinUS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjolnir2thor View Post
What's that expression... don't fix what is not broken!

My son had his 116610ln and had to return to the AD 3 times since the seconds hand stopped post service. The last 2 time of the three the watch was sent to the Rolex Service center. Every time that case is opened there is a risk of damage no matter who services it.
Sry to hear that, exactly the reason why I’m worried about getting it serviced..
Old 23 January 2024, 12:56 PM   #28
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PM’s/Patek
let it be
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
JSCP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 01:47 PM   #29
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDinUS View Post
Thanks for the detailed input. I’d say the watch’s had about 3 to 4 years of daily wrist time, my most wore one, but I never beat it up or anything. With all the input in this thread, I think I’m gonna skip servicing the watch this time, maybe have my AD open it up and take a look for me next time I visit them.
One step closer to a sound plan
There are a couple of great independents available to you in the US as well with great reviews, so keep that in mind.
Enjoy