The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 12 October 2009, 03:00 PM   #1
Atl

Watch: GMT II, new Subbie
Serious question about winders vs. nothing

All,
My question is: if you have a two modern Rolexes (2003 and 2009) and do not have a watch winder, I seriously would like to know from you all, if it is kinder to the watch if you let it sleep for long periods (2-4 months), or keep it constantly wound/going on a winder? My head says that letting it sleep is less abusive, but what about the oils? My decision on a buying a winder rests in your opinion. I seem to favor one over the other, and wear my new one more, but don't want to abuse the other. A winder seems to me, using a car as an example, as just running it at idle constantly. Am I wrong, and a winder is the way to go?? I do not keep them in a safe, but I do wear the new one over the old one, which may change in the future, but still the question would be valid with either watch in the future.
Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
Atl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2009, 03:05 PM   #2
sleddog
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

IMO,you answered your own question....A car idleing not being used is a motor being worn!!! A winder is not needed nor is it a benefit for the watch.....It's only for the wearer not needing to reset the watch or having to wind it!!! The whole fun of an automatic is to set it before use........Save the funds and put it towards another Rolex!!
Rob

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2009, 03:13 PM   #3
Colnago
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rlx=3, Tdr=3, Om=3
If you want to keep your rotating watches in a state of readiness then a winder is the way to go......if you don't mind setting them don't buy one.....I leave watches in my safe for months and I actually like winding and setting them.......even my old single quick DD which I have to advance the hands for ages sometimes to get the day set right....enough to give my hand cramp!!!....but I don't mind one bit....it does them no harm whatsoever to sit dormant for long periods......however, it also does them no harm to be worn for 50 years plus constantly, as long as they are serviced........your choice, but I personally wouldn't buy one....JMHO
Colnago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2009, 03:49 AM   #4
Atl

Watch: GMT II, new Subbie
Thank you both!

David
Atl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2009, 03:51 AM   #5
Dr.B
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS White Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleddog1000 View Post
imo,you answered your own question....a car idleing not being used is a motor being worn!!! A winder is not needed nor is it a benefit for the watch.....it's only for the wearer not needing to reset the watch or having to wind it!!! The whole fun of an automatic is to set it before use........save the funds and put it towards another rolex!!
Rob
x2
Dr.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2009, 03:56 AM   #6
Nick1959
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DSSD
Another thing to remeber is out of sight out of mind. If you have a winder or a box which exhibits your watch and you mihgt decide to wear other watches when you see them. So the one you do not wear won't feel left out. I feel like a guy with many wives
Nick1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2009, 04:00 AM   #7
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleddog1000 View Post
IMO,you answered your own question....A car idleing not being used is a motor being worn!!! A winder is not needed nor is it a benefit for the watch.....It's only for the wearer not needing to reset the watch or having to wind it!!! The whole fun of an automatic is to set it before use........Save the funds and put it towards another Rolex!!
Rob
Make that x3.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote