The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 7 January 2015, 10:53 PM   #1
beer nuts
"TRF" Member

When to regulate?

My datejust 2 is 14 months old. It has always run on the slow side since new. After 40 winds, (which I wind once a month) it losses 4-5 seconds after first 24 hours,then settles down to a loss of an average of 3.5 per day ( average calculated over two weeks) i can live with this. However, should I ask to have it regulated under warranty or leave the swiss air in it? I assume it will run faster as it ages?

Second question, as I wear the watch 24/7, is it good for the main spring to be allowed unwind itself (by not wearing a few days) very so often?
beer nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2015, 11:41 PM   #2
Lol-x
Facilitator

Interesting, you have a warranty so you would be entitled to get it regulated free of charge, but on the other hand it is keeping pretty good time...

Seems to be a borderline case to me but I can't say I know for sure.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2015, 02:06 AM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer nuts View Post
My datejust 2 is 14 months old. It has always run on the slow side since new. After 40 winds, (which I wind once a month) it losses 4-5 seconds after first 24 hours,then settles down to a loss of an average of 3.5 per day ( average calculated over two weeks) i can live with this. However, should I ask to have it regulated under warranty or leave the swiss air in it? I assume it will run faster as it ages?

Second question, as I wear the watch 24/7, is it good for the main spring to be allowed unwind itself (by not wearing a few days) very so often?
Myself would prefer a slight gain over running slow but would not bother having it regulated was such a tiny deviation. Remember there are 86400 seconds in a day.And there is no real need to wear the watch 24/7 as long as its worn for around 8 -12 hours a day if fully wound first before starting to wear.At night take it off and rest it flat dial up might gain a second or so.And it will make no difference whatsoever to the mainspring to let it stop as much as you like.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2015, 03:25 AM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
I would have already had it regulated, not because it is bad, but because it doesn't meet my personal expectations for my watches.

Your Rolex is capable of much better timing than that and most watchmakers could do the job in a half hour or so, although a good watchmaker will keep it for a few days and test it under all temperatures and positions for several hours..

There is no magic that will fall out of the watch when you open the back; you should expect a mechanical machine to incur occasional maintenance or adjustment.. it's normal.

No, it won't affect your mainspring to wind down.
Old 9 January 2015, 09:52 AM   #5
PcarSBA
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Jaeger, Rolex
Mine (Sky-Dweller) was 4.5 seconds slow and I took it in under warranty. Couldn't be happier with the results. Anywhere from 0.1 to 1 second per day fast depending on wear pattern. And since this was under warranty it was a no-brainer and I got the nice travel pouch when it came back.
PcarSBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2015, 10:42 AM   #6
MikeMc
"TRF" Member

Watch: own 18 watches
I would have it regulated, I agree with Tools that it should be fast, slightly. I have two Explorers, a 36mm with a 3130 movement and a 39mm with a 3132. The new one is 30 sec./month fast. The old one is 60 sec./month fast. My watchmaker, co-worker & Rolex trained doesn't want to regulate the 60 second fast one. Both are in good service condition.
MikeMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2015, 04:32 PM   #7
Old Expat Beast

Watch: SEIKO
My new Ranger, bought December 21, was running about six seconds a day fast, so (as I pass by the RSC often) I took it in for regulation after a couple of weeks or so and just got it back today, ten days later. It will be interesting to see how it performs now. Even though it was only a few secs a day fast, they didn't hesitate to take it in (and regulate under warranty).
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2015, 05:48 PM   #8
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
As has been said -3.5 in within COSC but annoying.

I would wait until it needs a service - why open it just for a few seconds/day.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2015, 06:13 PM   #9
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
As has been said -3.5 in within COSC but annoying.

I would wait until it needs a service - why open it just for a few seconds/day.
If it's under warranty, a little free personal TLC from a Rolex tech is nice.
Old 21 January 2015, 04:48 PM   #10
SearChart
TechXpert

My watchmaking teacher told me to always try to adjust them to a slight gain as this is indeed less annoying than losing seconds, so I'd get it regulated.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2015, 05:15 PM   #11
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
If it's under warranty, a little free personal TLC from a Rolex tech is nice.
But how many posts have you read on TRF where a simple adjustment on a new Rolex has turned into a nightmare?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2015, 05:26 PM   #12
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
But how many posts have you read on TRF where a simple adjustment on a new Rolex has turned into a nightmare?
Back from RSC? None that I can recall.
Old 21 January 2015, 11:13 PM   #13
beer nuts
"TRF" Member

I have read claims of dust appearing in dials and scratches from opening casebacks after services.
Old 21 January 2015, 11:36 PM   #14
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
I have read claims of dust appearing in dials and scratches from opening casebacks after services.
If the watchmaker is precise and regulating is done in a 'dust free' environment like a watchmakers bench there will be no dust entering the watch.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2015, 11:06 AM   #15
handsfull
"TRF" Member

Watch: youlookinat?
Quote:
Quote:
Under warranty I've had scratches on my caseback (twice), fingerprints on the inside crystal, dust on the dial, and one watch had to be sent back 3 times to finally correct a mainspring issue.

My past experience tells me not to send any watch in under warranty unless I find it's absolutely necessary.
handsfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2015, 06:30 AM   #16
stray_cat
"TRF" Member

Watch: one on the wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
I would have already had it regulated, not because it is bad, but because it doesn't meet my personal expectations for my watches.

Your Rolex is capable of much better timing than that
+1.

My dad handed me down his 11-13 year old sub around 71, it never left my wrist for 4 years. It's possible I did, but don't remember ever having to unscrew the crown (no date), till it died. I knew I was wearing a legend, and it lived up to it.
stray_cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2015, 08:39 AM   #17
iclick
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Before making an internal adjustment, try positioning the watch dial up or down at night, as it might pick up a second or two in either of those positions. My two Rolexes both run the fastest with dial up, but my three Tudors (ETA) are fastest with dial down. I keep all mine except the Daytona within a few seconds of zero variance indefinitely by just checking them before bedtime and positioning them accordingly. The Daytona runs within COSC, is the most consistent and closest in all positions, but also runs fast in all positions--so I can't self-regulate it. Personally, I like being able to do this.

One day when a friend brags that his quartz watch will beat my mechanical marvels in accuracy I'll bet him beer that it won't over a month's time, and I'll likely win the bet. I have a quartz watch that loses 1/2 sec./day, which can beat my mechanicals on any given day, but over a month's time it will have lost 15 sec., and I can beat that with all but the Daytona.
iclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2015, 05:38 PM   #18
beer nuts
"TRF" Member

Regulation turned into service....

Thank you all for your responses. My AD advised that my DJ2 should go in for regulation as still under warranty. RSC reported that I was losing time and would attend to that. Few weeks later it has come back with a 'movement service'. They would not provide any more details or advise why they did a movement sevice instead of regulation.

I said no to the polish they offered me.

It appears to be running fast but will let it settle in and test average over a week.
Old 29 October 2015, 10:11 AM   #19
Spoonage

My wife's Ranger is now running at ~ +13sec/day. Fully wound resting dial up checking after 24 hrs against time.gov been like this for the last 4 days. I checked every morning, reset the time and the wind again. I don't know if it's been like this for a while or not (wife doesn't wear it daily) and hasn't told me of any issues but don't know if she would notice since she doesn't really pay attention to the accuracy like I do. Before I send it in for regulation anything that you can think of that I can check at home other than what I'm doing? Don't have a timing device on hand.
Spoonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2015, 06:24 PM   #20
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonage View Post
My wife's Ranger is now running at ~ +13sec/day. Fully wound resting dial up checking after 24 hrs against time.gov been like this for the last 4 days. I checked every morning, reset the time and the wind again. I don't know if it's been like this for a while or not (wife doesn't wear it daily) and hasn't told me of any issues but don't know if she would notice since she doesn't really pay attention to the accuracy like I do. Before I send it in for regulation anything that you can think of that I can check at home other than what I'm doing? Don't have a timing device on hand.
Try resting it sideways, crown up. Probably won't make a whole lot of difference though. Maybe down to +10.