The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 19 March 2022, 10:06 AM   #1
aproo
"TRF" Member

Help in Decision - Diver or Offshore

Hi All,

I am thinking of getting from my friend either a Scuba Boutique or the Bumble Bee. Funds won't allow me to get both as much as I would like to.

Any thoughts?

Cheers.
aproo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2022, 10:36 AM   #2
LVx2
Banned

Which colour scuba?
LVx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2022, 12:16 PM   #3
aproo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVx2 View Post
Which colour scuba?
The Red Scuba. Not sure how the rest feels about the Blue or Orange.
Old 19 March 2022, 01:18 PM   #4
eal15
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet 15
I'd go diver.
eal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2022, 01:34 PM   #5
LVx2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aproo View Post
The Red Scuba. Not sure how the rest feels about the Blue or Orange.
That's my least favourite scuba but I'm also not crazy about how yellow that pronounced contrast is with the black carbon/ceramic chrono.

Of course, there are fans of both and their love is real. AP Offshores are awesome to own and wear.
Old 20 March 2022, 05:36 AM   #6
Highendtime
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek Nautilus
Scuba Diver for me over Bumblebee (but Blue or Orange if you can find it over the Red).

The Bumble Bee is awesome too but other than the colours which are a bit of an acquired taste, APs carbon fibre cases tend to wear and flake over the years which may cause issues if you do decide to sell it.

Both are awesome pieces but imho the Diver is a better investment not to mention its Limited 300

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Highendtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2022, 06:52 AM   #7
LVx2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highendtime View Post
Scuba Diver for me over Bumblebee (but Blue or Orange if you can find it over the Red).

The Bumble Bee is awesome too but other than the colours which are a bit of an acquired taste, APs carbon fibre cases tend to wear and flake over the years which may cause issues if you do decide to sell it.

Both are awesome pieces but imho the Diver is a better investment not to mention its Limited 300

Some early fc bezel editions, eg Alinghi, had issues but later standard production carbon cases are stable and durable. Complete case replacement is available if you really wreck it so this criticism is a non factor. "Tend to wear and flake" is internet bs. Could easily say steel tends to scratch, chip and pit or ceramic tends to shatter.
Old 20 March 2022, 11:06 AM   #8
aproo
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone. Yeah, agree the BB is an acquired taste. Will take a pass on the BB.

Between the 3 Scuba colors, seems like the blue and orange is quite a favourite with less love for the red.

My friend just showed me his City of Sails and it looks good as well. Slimmer profile compared to the Scuba. Tempting but no papers hence approximately same price point ...decisions decisions
Old 20 March 2022, 11:36 AM   #9
LVx2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aproo View Post
Thanks everyone. Yeah, agree the BB is an acquired taste. Will take a pass on the BB.

Between the 3 Scuba colors, seems like the blue and orange is quite a favourite with less love for the red.

My friend just showed me his City of Sails and it looks good as well. Slimmer profile compared to the Scuba. Tempting but no papers hence approximately same price point ...decisions decisions
City of Sails, like it a lot!

CoS 39mm and nice lines. Scuba is a big diver at 44mm in all steel.

Service with AP and get choice of different paper options. Service papers with two year warranty are all you need though.
Old 22 March 2022, 02:13 PM   #10
Highendtime
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVx2 View Post
City of Sails, like it a lot!

CoS 39mm and nice lines. Scuba is a big diver at 44mm in all steel.

Service with AP and get choice of different paper options. Service papers with two year warranty are all you need though.

Scuba is 42 not 44 and hardly big since it uses the JLC ultra thin; it’s actually the slimmest diver made.

And on APs carbon i can flake my personal piece on the corner with a finger nail so while your point on the case replacement is valid, APs carbon has design flaws which is why they discontinued it.

Renaud Papi improved it a lot for the RMs later on!

Old 22 March 2022, 03:58 PM   #11
aproo
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the comments. Yes, the Scuba is much thinner than the current diver line up which is why I am intrigued by it. I did manage to find a Blue and I have to say, it looks nice. But the CoS is very thin as well and its a RO. The thing about CoS not having full set is putting me on the fence.

Can't decide....
Old 22 March 2022, 04:53 PM   #12
LVx2
Banned

Quote:
Scuba is 42 not 44 and hardly big since it uses the JLC ultra thin; it’s actually the slimmest diver made.

And on APs carbon i can flake my personal piece on the corner with a finger nail so while your point on the case replacement is valid, APs carbon has design flaws which is why they discontinued it.

Renaud Papi improved it a lot for the RMs later on!

Yes, I had conflicting sizes listed for the 15701, it is 42. Still, all steel so heavier. Also bigger and chunkier than the CoS.

The forged carbon cases are durable and stable. They were not discontinued because they have design flaws, that's bs. Michael Friedman has stated these cases, last used in the very high end Schumacher Lap Timer, aren't being produced because they can't be finished, brushed and polished, as are the steel and ceramic. It was done to unify the lineup. He's on video saying this. The early cases did have issues, like the Alinghi and Grand Prix, which were vastly improved for the standard production models, eg the ROO 44 forged carbon.

Why don't you try scraping a steel RO with something sharp and get back to me with the results. I don't know about your own watch but my FC ROO 44 is solid and will not flake or scratch. Certainly not with my fingernail. It's very tough and stable and will not shatter like ceramic can.
Old 22 March 2022, 07:37 PM   #13
Highendtime
2024 Pledge Member

Yes they are light and tough but of the three that I have had including the Jarno, all flaked so I switched to all ceramic.

Your point about scratching steel with something hard is irrelevant. I am talking about regular day to day wear.

Not sure if I got three bad batches but seems unlikely. I have over 15 APs so am a big fan!

Old 22 March 2022, 11:34 PM   #14
LVx2
Banned

Quote:
Yes they are light and tough but of the three that I have had including the Jarno, all flaked so I switched to all ceramic.

Your point about scratching steel with something hard is irrelevant. I am talking about regular day to day wear.

Not sure if I got three bad batches but seems unlikely. I have over 15 APs so am a big fan!

I’m also talking about day to day wear, so not irrelevant at all. Steel ROs are prone to scratches from light use. I’ve worn my fc without care and looks new. The Jarno is not a regular piece. You can scratch it with a fingernail? Never will happen with mine. My experience. Not interested in a back and forth with you, enjoy your watches.
Old 22 March 2022, 11:42 PM   #15
Highendtime
2024 Pledge Member

Yeah you too. No back and forth needed. Our experience is diametrically opposite on these pieces and am a huge fan of AP nonetheless.

We don’t need to agree. A fingernail flakes mine at the corners.

Old 23 March 2022, 12:08 AM   #16
LVx2
Banned

Quote:
Yeah you too. No back and forth needed. Our experience is diametrically opposite on these pieces and am a huge fan of AP nonetheless.

We don’t need to agree. A fingernail flakes mine at the corners.

On the standard 44? They only made one, all black dial. Best looking ROO ever made imho, love mine and it’s the ideal daily AP for looks, wearability and, yes, durability.
Old 23 March 2022, 12:11 AM   #17
Highendtime
2024 Pledge Member

Yep. That and the bumble and the Jarno.

I love offshores wear my tantalum pieces for durability. Even tho limited 20 pieces.

Enjoy yours

Old 23 March 2022, 02:52 AM   #18
LVx2
Banned

Will do, it’s my perfect daily AP, amazing watch.