The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 March 2022, 01:25 AM   #1
Carguy87
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: JC 126660
Purchasing a Rolex on Vacation

Good morning TRF and hope everyone had a great weekend! I’m new on here so I wanted to start by thanking everyone for their posts and contributions here to the forum as I have a learned a lot in a short period of time from the group.

My question is this: I recently got myself in a position to buy my first Rolex, and am wanting a 126660 (James Cameron Deepsea). I only have one AD within a 2+ hour drive of me, and have a built a modest purchase history with them of some diamond jewelry pieces for my wife this past year. They have had me on “the list” for about 4 months, but still just waiting in limbo. I’m traveling to Las Vegas for the week on vacation, and have a few friends down there who’ve offered to take me to their AD’s they purchase from just to see if I can get lucky enough to be offered a piece based on a referral. If somehow the stars aligned and I was offered the watch, would you go ahead and buy it on vacation or just skip it and wait for my local AD to come through?

I want to establish a long term relationship with my local AD and worry this could jeopardize that but now that I’m finally in a place in life where I can afford the watch my patience is running thin and I’d hate to miss an opportunity. What would you do?
Carguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2022, 01:27 AM   #2
chet
"TRF" Member

If you're lucky enough to be offered one at MSRP, buy it.
chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2022, 01:39 AM   #3
Mathematoxic
"TRF" Member

If offered just proceed to buy. I believe a good AD will encourage you to get it too. If your local AD becomes sour due to this purchase, its better not to deal with them.
Mathematoxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2022, 01:39 AM   #4
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Buy where you can. There is no loyalty in retail sales.
Old 1 March 2022, 01:51 AM   #5
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Buy where you can. There is no loyalty in retail sales.

This whole "relationship" thing is a bunch of hooey. Even if they could get you the watch, if you decide not to get it, they can move it in a day.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2022, 01:57 AM   #6
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP41 Silver
If you’re offered a watch you like, buy it. If you’re offered one you don’t, either skip it or buy to resell if you are so inclined
Old 1 March 2022, 02:11 AM   #7
rmwill
2024 Pledge Member

Vegas is one of the few places AD's will sell to out of towners.
Rolex Explorer II 226570 Polar
Omega Moonwatch Sapphire Sandwich
Panerai PAM00111

2 Factor Authentication
rmwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2022, 02:24 AM   #8
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwill View Post
Weird how times have changed. Maybe just five years ago, picking up a new watch while on vacation was a very common incoming. Vegas, NYC, LA, the Caribbean, Europe, etc. My first SS Daytona was picked up by a friend vacationing in Grand Cayman circa 2000. He got one for himself and brought me one.
OP, I think it’s a longshot these days but if you can get one this way, go for it.
ArtNouveau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2022, 02:32 AM   #9
Carguy87

Quote:
Fingers crossed! I know it’s a long shot but one of my friends that offered to take me has a significant purchase history so in the event I’m in that position I just wanted the group’s thoughts. Seems the consensus is all is fair in love and Rolex!
Old 1 March 2022, 02:37 AM   #10
2loaded
"TRF" Member

Watch: es watches
Quote:
This is absolutely the truth and my has been my experience.

Fingers crossed !
2loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2022, 02:40 AM   #11
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
If offered, absolutely buy it. No telling if or when your AD will ever come through.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2022, 02:46 AM   #12
VegasBaby
Banned

How would you be "jeopardizing" your so-called "relationship" with your "AD" (sounds to me like there is no relationship since they haven't offered you a watch as of yet) by purchasing a watch from another AD??
VegasBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2022, 02:51 AM   #13
mfserge
Banned

Watch: YM40 Rhodium
You’re going to cheat on your AD with some floozy in Vegas?? Wow that is a really dirty thing to do
mfserge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2022, 02:58 AM   #14
AEV
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Rolex
I would buy it and not think twice.
AEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2022, 03:00 AM   #15
norcalctr
"TRF" Member

If you get an offer for any watch you're interested in from any AD, you should take it. With the Rolex outlook today, you should just grab whatever you can get. A new purchase with a new AD will also built a new relationship so you can't go wrong.
norcalctr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2022, 03:01 AM   #16
crew
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
Buy it. Remember, what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas!
crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2022, 03:17 AM   #17
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
Jeebus, just buy the watch no matter which AD offers it to you. You may never, ever get the call from your AD and you would have then missed out on getting the watch you want at MSRP. They have no loyalty to you and even if they did actually get it and they called you to offer it, if you politely said "no thank you" they wouldn't even skip a beat. They would just call the next person and be done, sold. No need to even say you bought it elsewhere, and if there is another one you want you could just say you would prefer a XYZ and please consider me for this instead. Don't wear the James Cameron into their shop.

I guaranty with 100% certainty that right now your AD is not over on an AD only forum posting about you. He is not on the internet asking his other AD friends if he should be worried that you personally might find the watch you are looking for somewhere else. We are the only ones in this environment who are even thinking about this stuff and it's sad, really, when you think about it. We are all concerned about loyalty and are even contemplating passing on watches out of fear that we might offend an AD who isn't even giving us a second thought during the course of their day.

Good luck!
Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2022, 03:19 AM   #18
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Buy buy buy on sight wherever whenever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2022, 03:21 AM   #19
OpusXIII
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bluesy, Hulk, DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carguy87 View Post
Good morning TRF and hope everyone had a great weekend! I’m new on here so I wanted to start by thanking everyone for their posts and contributions here to the forum as I have a learned a lot in a short period of time from the group.

My question is this: I recently got myself in a position to buy my first Rolex, and am wanting a 126660 (James Cameron Deepsea). I only have one AD within a 2+ hour drive of me, and have a built a modest purchase history with them of some diamond jewelry pieces for my wife this past year. They have had me on “the list” for about 4 months, but still just waiting in limbo. I’m traveling to Las Vegas for the week on vacation, and have a few friends down there who’ve offered to take me to their AD’s they purchase from just to see if I can get lucky enough to be offered a piece based on a referral. If somehow the stars aligned and I was offered the watch, would you go ahead and buy it on vacation or just skip it and wait for my local AD to come through?

I want to establish a long term relationship with my local AD and worry this could jeopardize that but now that I’m finally in a place in life where I can afford the watch my patience is running thin and I’d hate to miss an opportunity. What would you do?
You - like far too many others on here - act as if the AD's are doing US a favor. They are not. Last I checked, we were the ones with the coin. Too many folks give a damn about walking a tight rope, not wanting to offend, hurt any feelings, etc. of their AD. Really? Their AD? Yeah right. Buy what you can, where you can, when you can. It is what it is.
Old 1 March 2022, 03:28 AM   #20
dawalsh
"TRF" Member

I just got Explorer I from AD in Vegas last month. Walked in and told them it was for my 45th BD. I don’t think my AD cares that I buy from someone else. I for sure don’t care what they think.
dawalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2022, 03:36 AM   #21
mrdstr
"TRF" Member

I got my first new rolex, a BLRO, in HI 2 years ago while on vacation. Created a wonderful relationship with the sales associate in the process and we remained in touch. I am heading back tomorrow, actually, to pick up a Cermit, while getting an early spring break in the process. My ADs didn't want my business and after years of trying I gave up. I see no issue creating a relationship out of state. It's not like I plan to buy a watch every month.
mrdstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2022, 03:37 AM   #22
zengineer
"TRF" Member

If they have Daytonas, buy 2.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2022, 03:38 AM   #23
Trek360
"TRF" Member

My AD (known many years) flat out told me if I’m offered a Rolex elsewhere go ahead and buy it as they can’t promise to match an allocation just to keep the business.

In this market if offered something and interested, buy it.
Trek360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2022, 04:38 AM   #24
Carguy87

Thanks everyone especially for some very funny replies!! This is exactly what I needed to hear and the more I think about it you guys are right we as the consumers are the only ones who really care about loyalty, and VegasBaby is right I guess I can’t really jeopardize a purchasing relationship I don’t have yet since they haven’t actually come through on the watch for me. I think I’ll try my luck and if it works out I can do as Mendota said and just switch my interest to a different piece and not wear the one from Vegas when I go to drop by.
Old 1 March 2022, 06:55 AM   #25
afmars
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO
I’ve been in this situation.

I would recommend buying the watch if you are offered it at MSRP. If you are worried you might ruffle your AD’s feathers you can just tell them you’ve changed your interest to something else, you don’t owe them an explanation.
afmars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2022, 07:13 AM   #26
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carguy87 View Post
Thanks everyone especially for some very funny replies!! This is exactly what I needed to hear and the more I think about it you guys are right we as the consumers are the only ones who really care about loyalty, and VegasBaby is right I guess I can’t really jeopardize a purchasing relationship I don’t have yet since they haven’t actually come through on the watch for me. I think I’ll try my luck and if it works out I can do as Mendota said and just switch my interest to a different piece and not wear the one from Vegas when I go to drop by.
I am crossing my fingers for you! That would be awesome if the planets aligned and you could score one out there. I am going to Vegas in March and while I have been waiting for my AD to get me a 124060 sub for my big upcoming birthday, on the off chance that I were to find one out there I would take it in a heartbeat. Good luck!
Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2022, 07:19 AM   #27
zsid1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpusXIII View Post
You - like far too many others on here - act as if the AD's are doing US a favor. They are not. Last I checked, we were the ones with the coin. Too many folks give a damn about walking a tight rope, not wanting to offend, hurt any feelings, etc. of their AD. Really? Their AD? Yeah right. Buy what you can, where you can, when you can. It is what it is.
ADs are doing us a favor. They have 20+ people willing to buy the same watch. They dont need our money because they will sell the watch anyways.
zsid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2022, 07:45 AM   #28
noshame
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb View Post
If offered, absolutely buy it. No telling if or when your AD will ever come through.
This, 100%!
Old 1 March 2022, 08:07 AM   #29
DubOhio
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crew View Post
Buy it. Remember, what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas!
Credit card bills defiantly follow you home!

But yes, if you can get your hands on one get it. My local AD is a good dude and he knows I travel a lot and he always tells me if I’m somewhere and they’ll sell me something buy it. One reason I keep spending with him. Now if he could just get me the GMT Master II I want I’d really like him ha
DubOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2022, 08:41 AM   #30
dg1111
"TRF" Member

I would buy at the first opportunity, as there is no guarantee of when/if your local AD will come through.

Back when you could walk in and buy watches, one advantage to buying on vacation was that you could have it shipped home and save the sales tax. That was a pretty nice discount for someone in a high sales tax state. If you do buy a watch in Vegas, it wouldn’t hurt to ask about this.
dg1111 is offline   Reply With Quote