The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 March 2013, 03:09 AM   #1
mikkibarry
"TRF" Member

Watch: Your Six
GMTs for Dummies?

Seems that my husband has caught the bug, as it were. He has decided that he is interested in a GMT style watch, preferably Rolex, but another brand will do if our checkbook goes into shock. He loves the look of a GMT with black bezel (doesn't like this coke/pepsi/rootbeer stuff), must have the 24 hour bezel, large hands that are easy to read, wants lume, wants date, wants simple dial, doesn't like patina.

So, if I were to go shopping for a GMT for him (from trusted sellers of course), what would I need to look for/look out for? I read the reference materials but they are a bit over my head regarding collectibility, etc., which really isn't of much concern. He really wants a daily wear type watch.

Oh wise ones of TRF, please assist. Thanks!!
mikkibarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2013, 03:16 AM   #2
boywondergq1
"TRF" Member

I really don't think you have to go further than a new GMTII with ceramic rotating bezel, reference 116710.
A modern iteration of the quintessential classic GMT. The original was the first wristwatch to feature two time zones.

"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes." - Oscar Wilde
boywondergq1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2013, 03:17 AM   #3
impalass
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD / LV / Daytona
Not a GMT guy but I guess your first step would be deciding Ceramic model or pre Ceramic (aluminium bezel).

Enjoy the hunt.
impalass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2013, 03:17 AM   #4
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

No GMT for that guy!

Big Hands
Easy to read
Only 1 answer
Expl.II-42mm!!!

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2013, 03:19 AM   #5
Hazelnut
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC Date
Sounds like the 116710 spot on with the criteria!
Hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2013, 03:26 AM   #6
mikkibarry
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywondergq1 View Post
I really don't think you have to go further than a new GMTII with ceramic rotating bezel, reference 116710.
A modern iteration of the quintessential classic GMT. The original was the first wristwatch to feature two time zones.
Remember that "checkbook goes insane" part? :-)
Old 4 March 2013, 03:28 AM   #7
mikkibarry
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by impalass View Post
Not a GMT guy but I guess your first step would be deciding Ceramic model or pre Ceramic (aluminium bezel).

Enjoy the hunt.
Which is better and why please? Remember, you're dealing with the clueless. I'm into the pre-1940s type Rolexes.
Old 4 March 2013, 03:30 AM   #8
Armyguy03
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 | 16600
I'd contact one of the trusted sellers for a SS GMT Black bezel. I've seen them run anywhere from 4900-7000k USD. Give them a price point and I'm sure they won't disappoint. Wrist shots when acquired please.
Old 4 March 2013, 03:37 AM   #9
steveclocks
"TRF" Member

Watch: rolex/JLC/panerai
Quote:

I hate you for posting such nice photographs! Now I want a GMT like yours !
steveclocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2013, 04:05 AM   #10
mikkibarry
"TRF" Member

I may have to take him shopping today to see what fits best... Maybe he'll find a nice cheap Seiko he likes :-)
Old 4 March 2013, 04:06 AM   #11
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Hard to beat GMT or GMT II the GMT IIc maybe hard on the old check book.
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2013, 04:14 AM   #12
jbsmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas
Quote:

X2. I love mine! Good luck.
jbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2013, 04:59 AM   #13
Jcru2001

Watch: Rolex Explorer II
My first Rolex is the 116710 back in 2009. I was in love with classic look of the Sub, but the size and durability of the ceramic bezel. Consequently, I just purchased my second Rolex, Explorer 2 this week. Aside from the normal small scratches, the GMT looks new. Fantastic piece. I would strongly suggest....and obviously it holds its value. Other brands with similar function or look can't provide that.
Jcru2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2013, 05:01 AM   #14
Jcru2001

and further more....the size seems to be near perfection! Not too big and bulky, not too small. It measures 40mm, and by today's standards almost sounds small, but it feels larger. looks great with a suit or casual attire.
Old 4 March 2013, 05:03 AM   #15
seabreeze
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikkibarry View Post
I may have to take him shopping today to see what fits best... Maybe he'll find a nice cheap Seiko he likes :-)
Good idea… I recommend you take him shopping so that you can learn exactly which specific one turns him on.
Victorinox Swiss Army 24221 - circa 1985
Sold but wish I didn't
Rolex DateJust 1603 - 1972
seabreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2013, 05:39 AM   #16
salts001
"TRF" Member

The GMT II c was my second rolex and i love it. I now use it as my daily wear. I personally think it feels more solid and more of a pop than previous generations.
salts001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2013, 05:43 AM   #17
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
GMT-C! If he want's a black bezel this is the way to go!
Old 4 March 2013, 05:55 AM   #18
robk215k
"TRF" Member

Go out and look at them. If you're near a big city, check out some jewlery stores that have used ones. See the old non-ceramic and then see the new ceramic at an AD. Obviously if he prefers the old non-ceramic it'll be lighter on the checkbook.

Definitely plenty of trusted sellers here, DavidSW is great to work with. I wouldn't buy used anywhere besides here. You never know what you're getting outside, and now more than ever you have no way of telling how many hands have been on a watch and if it's been disassembled and put back together properly and with the right parts! You won't get that here.

If you decide new, you can also buy here, but asking people to inbox you about local AD's and what % of discounts can be had is a good way to help. I JUST bought my GMTii new last week and got 16% off, no taxes. That's pretty much as good as, or better than what you'll get here and it's got my name on the warranty card (that doesn't mean much to some, but it does to me).

Most importantly..have fun with it! That's great! My wife just gives me an "Another one? Back on this AGAIN?" whenever i start talking about looking. She doesn't get it, doesn't care. I'd love it if she did. Even if I got her one she'd probably only wear it once a year if that!
Old 4 March 2013, 07:03 AM   #19
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Mikki, Rolex makes two GMT watches, the GMT Master II and the Explorer II. The GMT is the choice if he is set on the black bezel. It's a few hundred dollars more new.

The GMTII is the top of the line Rolex GMT watch, imho. It is the more powerful tool in that the bezel rotates allowing you to track unlimited time zones. Because it rotates you can also used it to track elapsed time, much like a Sub. The EXII is a two time zone watch only as the bezel doesn't rotate.

The current version of the GMT comes with polished center links. It gives it a dressier appearance but they are more prone to showing scratches. If he "doesn't like patina" and it will be worn daily this may be a consideration, though it is a simple matter to have the center links brushed if that's the only thing he doesn't like. Older versions came with brushed center links. BTW, regarding patina, just about any watch can come back from a service looking good as new.

The EXII has brushed center links and a brushed SS bezel. It does offer the choice of black or white dial. Note that it is bigger than the GMT (40mm) at 42mm, but the previous version of this watch is smaller.

Which ever you choose, if you are buying used, then condition is the main thing (you already said trusted seller only). One thing to look for was the last service and when you can expect to incur this cost. Since he doesn't like "patina", a recently serviced (and polished) watch would likely look better, but if you can save money on one that was well taken care of but is due for service, then he can send it in and he will get the watch back looking brand spanking new.

Let us know what you decide.
Old 4 March 2013, 07:38 AM   #20
sampelligrino
"TRF" Member

My vote for your husband is the 16710 (previous gen Rolex GMT II) or the 116710 (current gen Rolex GMT II Ceramic). I have both and love each for different reasons, the 16710 is more vintage, lighter, smaller case size, more understated, more sentimental to me. I also can change the look of the 16710 easily to Pepsi or Coke colors but your husband doesn't care for that. I admit though I wear my 116710 GMT2C much more because I love the polished center links, beautiful "grey looking" ceramic bezel, touches of green, better clasp, and more solid feel on my wrist. As a heads up, the polished center links as a downside scratch very easily and can really show up in certain light, I attached a picture with my dads GMT2C that he wears every single day and does not baby it whatsoever. I baby mine and try to avoid nicking it here and there but he just doesn't seem to care..

The ceramic current version will likely be 1-2k more than its predecessor the 16710 looking at TRF prices. I think either would be a great choice for your husband. That's just my 2 cents.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362346433.212250.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362346464.117262.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362346497.346467.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362346519.978888.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362346549.084097.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362346577.906504.jpg
sampelligrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2013, 07:48 AM   #21
Fly2002

Your quite smart Mikki by coming here. A rolex watch as most of the guys /gals here will tell you needs to be an educated purchase. From what you've written the question I have is does he want a classic GMT II or a newer model GMT II. The newer ones are referred to here as a GMT IIC, with C standing for ceramic. The newer versions have ceramic bezels, the older ones have aluminum ones. At this time only the older GMT II's have the different bezels which can be changed. I myself started off with a "coke bezel" but purchased a black bezel a few months after purchase. Now I'm searching for a Pepsi bezel. Honestly if he likes the older models, chances are he'll eventually fall in love with the other colors and wish to acquire those as well. I myself swore up and down that all I wanted was the black bezel....but then those others color options started calling out to me. So the classic becomes a very versatile watch, option wise.

The newer model GMTc's as mentioned will have the polished center links which makes it a little more dressy gauging from most people's opinions on the forum. Some purchasers have even had those links brushed to match the rest of the band to dress it down a little so that's always an option.

Search google for "GMT reference" and you'll find a website that showcases the various models over the years, their features as well as what "series" they are. That means what year it's made. Up until recently a letter is associated with each model year. Mine is a "D" series which means 2005.

The model numbers are 16710 for the classic and 116710 for the newer ceramic model. Also run the price you find before your purchase on this forum and the members will tell you if the deal is fair given the model and the year it was made.

Hope this helps!!!
Eric
Fly2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2013, 07:54 AM   #22
Armyguy03
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 | 16600
Man Sammy I really like that 16710, a lot!
Old 4 March 2013, 08:13 AM   #23
sampelligrino
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyguy03 View Post
Man Sammy I really like that 16710, a lot!
Thanks!! It is probably my most prized possession. My dad took it off his wrist and gave it to me the day I graduated high school years back. Now wear it on special occasions, with the 116710 as my daily wearer
sampelligrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2013, 08:30 AM   #24
mikkibarry
"TRF" Member

We are back from the excursion. He is attempting to decide between an Explorer II and an Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra GMT. And no, it isn't because the Omega people gave us chocolates :-). Do you guys have any thoughts? I'm a bit confused as to why he likes the Explorer II over the GMT, but it seems to be a taste thing. He bought me new earrings, so I can't say anything bad about him today. Wait til tomorrow. Hee hee.
Old 4 March 2013, 08:35 AM   #25
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
We are back from the excursion. He is attempting to decide between an Explorer II and an Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra GMT. And no, it isn't because the Omega people gave us chocolates :-). Do you guys have any thoughts? I'm a bit confused as to why he likes the Explorer II over the GMT, but it seems to be a taste thing. He bought me new earrings, so I can't say anything bad about him today. Wait til tomorrow. Hee hee.
Doesn't sound like our thoughts matter. Do you have a very specific question?

Sounds like he is looking at a new Explorer two with the large hands / plots at 42MM. I prefer the older 40MM Explorer II...but if he likes this one, sold!

Good luck.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2013, 08:59 AM   #26
seabreeze
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Exactly. What someone above me just said. It doesn't matter what we think. That's he watch he likes. That's what he should have.

There is no "wrong" choice, just a personal choice. Although I am a huge fan of Rolex I am in love with the 42 mm omega Pacific Ocean.
Victorinox Swiss Army 24221 - circa 1985
Sold but wish I didn't
Rolex DateJust 1603 - 1972
seabreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2013, 10:15 AM   #27
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well, so much for the black bezel, LOL!

Again, two very different looking watches, so it comes down to a matter of taste.
Old 4 March 2013, 11:45 AM   #28
advocatia
Banned

Watch: PAM 422 GMTIIC
GMTIIC. Best Rolex I ever owned. Arguably the finest in the current Rolex sports lineup.
advocatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2013, 01:14 PM   #29
Jcru2001

Quote:
I actually just got my Explorer II 42mm this week, after having the GMT II-C for the past four years. He can't go wrong, as both are timeless....but since the Explorer is so new, I can't stop looking at it! And it feels great on the wrist. But the more pics I see of the ceramic bezel GMT, the more I want to keep that instead of trying to sell it!! I'm no help right now
Old 4 March 2013, 01:18 PM   #30
mikkolopez
"TRF" Member

The new ceramic GMT2 with maxi dial and hands pretty much fit the bill. Though the new Explorer 2 is also a GMT capable watch though sans the rotating bezel.
mikkolopez is offline   Reply With Quote