The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 28 July 2016, 12:56 AM   #1
marcusjcw21
Banned

Watch: Rolex 2 tone 1005
How do you feel about customizing...

a Rolex watch like this? http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53...mtid=824&kw=lg

It is obviously customized if you read the description. However, it is now considered to be counterfeit by Rolex.

I was thinking about these types of watches and it occurred to me that they are removing that watch from the pool of untouched, original Rolex watches that collectors will some day covet.

I have heard repeatedly that customizing your Rolex reduces the value. However, when they are first customized by Bamford, Pro-Hunter, Titan, Black-Out-Concept, Blakken, Temputs Machina, Les Artisans de Geneve, and countless jewelers adding various precious stones, they become non-original Rolex watches and their re-sale value has dropped tremendously.

I wonder how much a vintage Bamford will command in 40 years. Will it be an extremely rare sought after piece or will it be considered virtually worthless.

And these DLC and PVD black customizations... Those blackening processes are not perfect and will not last forever. Then removing the blackening will be tedious and cause damage to case back teeth, serial numbers, crown teeth, crown logo, bracelet engraving/stamping, etc. Maybe the people who can afford those types of pieces just don't care if it is worthless in 10 years and there is no re-sale value for it now?

I've seen beautiful engraving work on the cases and bracelets by Joanne Ryall... she does amazingly beautiful work... but it's ruined with regards to Rolex ever being willing to touch it again and if you were to send it in to Rolex, they would tell you it is considered counterfeit. So in my opinion, the monetary value and collectibility could be hurt very badly... or it could be a rare piece that is very sought out.

I remember Bob Maron had a couple of Rolex Day/Dates - one with a gold leaf dial and one with a platinum leaf dial. The dials were supposedly prototypes that had been presented to Rolex as ideas, got certified by Rolex, but were rejected. The price of these watches was really high. I can't find them anymore, so I am assuming they got sold.

It will be interesting to see what becomes of these customized Rolex watches. Time will tell. In the mean time, watch out that you don't end up thinking you won't lose big money by buying a customized Rolex.
marcusjcw21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2016, 03:03 AM   #2
marcusjcw21
Banned

Building on that thought, and knowing that "the dial is everything" in a vintage watch. How would you feel about a 6538 with original dial and case intact, but he movement is skeletonized and modified by Jochen Benzinger in his style? Oh and it would come with an extra display back, so you could preserve the original back.
Old 28 July 2016, 03:07 AM   #3
marcusjcw21
Banned

Here is what Benzinger does to a movement