The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 11 February 2023, 02:25 AM   #1
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Napping

I believe that napping is one of the great pleasures in life. My wife and her oldest can nap in the middle of the afternoon for 6 hours, get up, have dinner, and go to sleep. I can't. I can take a brief nap after lunch and I'm generally OK, but if I sleep/doze off any time after about 4 PM, I'm screwed.

Anyway...

Wednesday night I got only 3 hours of sleep (family medical emergency) and yesterday at work, I was a bit tired and had a couple of potentially boring meetings in the afternoon, so after lunch I closed the door to my office, muted the computer and laid down on the floor and got nearly 30 minutes before some A-hole woke me up.

It was moderately uncomfortable. My office isn't big enough for a couch, but I could probably get a love seat in here, except for the fact that the company won't allow it...

So, what kind of message do you think it would send if I had an air mattress in here?

Full disclosure: many years ago I was on a project that had annoying status meetings in the early afternoon, and (I found out later) people were making bets on what time I would fall asleep. I appear to have a bit of a reputation around here. I'm not suffering from narcolepsy but one might think I was... at least in meetings.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2023, 02:29 AM   #2
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
So, what kind of message do you think it would send if I had an air mattress in here?

Full disclosure: many years ago I was on a project that had annoying status meetings in the early afternoon, and (I found out later) people were making bets on what time I would fall asleep. I appear to have a bit of a reputation around here. I'm not suffering from narcolepsy but one might think I was... at least in meetings.
Well, if they already know to the point that there an over/under on you I say go for it. Just tell everyone that's how you prefer to think.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2023, 02:32 AM   #3
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
A Rolex man doesn’t nap when there’s Rolexeses to acquire.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2023, 02:36 AM   #4
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I guess it depends on how you define napping. 6 hours is a full nights sleep for me

I’m a big believer in napping but my definition is 20-30 minutes per day. I usually nap around 2 o’clock. I’ve been doing this ever since I can remember.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2023, 02:36 AM   #5
Star Ferry
Banned

I can’t sleep through a meeting where my time is being billed at $700 an hour — only our clients writing the checks can pull that off — but I am a proponent of napping and recommend people take naps as needed. Sleep deprivation will kill you and should be thought of like smoking, alcohol abuse and drugging.
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2023, 02:38 AM   #6
Knappo 1307
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
I believe that napping is one of the great pleasures in life. My wife and her oldest can nap in the middle of the afternoon for 6 hours, get up, have dinner, and go to sleep. I can't. I can take a brief nap after lunch and I'm generally OK, but if I sleep/doze off any time after about 4 PM, I'm screwed.

Anyway...

Wednesday night I got only 3 hours of sleep (family medical emergency) and yesterday at work, I was a bit tired and had a couple of potentially boring meetings in the afternoon, so after lunch I closed the door to my office, muted the computer and laid down on the floor and got nearly 30 minutes before some A-hole woke me up.

It was moderately uncomfortable. My office isn't big enough for a couch, but I could probably get a love seat in here, except for the fact that the company won't allow it...

By A-hole, do you mean because you were at lunch? Or because you were napping at work, and a colleague needed something work related? Just curious.
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2023, 03:07 AM   #7
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

I think the consensus on napping is that up to an hour and half is beneficial and longer can disrupt your sleep patterns and night sleep.

I used to find if I napped for more than an hour and half I was gunsel-headed and took quite a while to recover, whereas if I only napped for about hour or so I felt refreshed.

An interesting read on napping....https://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-...de-to-napping/
Old 11 February 2023, 03:43 AM   #8
yankeeromeo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
A Rolex man doesn’t nap when there’s Rolexeses to acquire.
Hahaha
yankeeromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2023, 03:45 AM   #9
Ferdelious
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk/SD4K/SeaQ/P39
Usually don't nap because I tend to wake up groggy, especially anything over 20 minutes. I envy people that can.
Old 11 February 2023, 04:06 AM   #10
DLRIDES

Watch: Me
On days I’m at home, definitely nap ! After lunch, 20-30 minute naps are glorious !
Old 11 February 2023, 05:01 AM   #11
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
I kept a sleeping pad under my desk the last couple years I worked. I’d lock my office door and get a good nap before long meetings. Don’t forget to set your alarm.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/teto...turer-camp-pad
Maleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2023, 05:59 AM   #12
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
We have our grandchildren with us during the school year which are not of school age yet so naps are part of the normal routine. Their mother is a teacher. The youngest naps with me in my chair and if I don’t nap I’ll cruise forums such as this on my IPad while he sleeps beside me.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2023, 06:25 AM   #13
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
I think the consensus on napping is that up to an hour and half is beneficial and longer can disrupt your sleep patterns and night sleep.

I used to find if I napped for more than an hour and half I was gunsel-headed and took quite a while to recover, whereas if I only napped for about hour or so I felt refreshed.

An interesting read on napping....https://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-...de-to-napping/
Co-signed. If I’m taking a nap it’s because my normal sleep has been ruined already. I took a nap yesterday only because I had worked till 3 am.
Old 11 February 2023, 08:47 AM   #14
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
I’m a monster nap fan. In fact, I just woke up from a 15 minute nap. I love them. Glorious is right.

I have a couch in my office and I nap often. I encourage others to do the same. I offer it up all the time.

I debated putting a couch in our small conference room for the staff.

I’d not encourage hours long naps. There is work to be done. But a 30 minute Power Nap. Oh yes. Hells yes.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2023, 09:24 AM   #15
Romeojk

Watch: Submariner 114060
I don't nap, we'll, very rarely do, and feel like I'm fighting it every day. You guys are giving me some confidence. I'm gonna give it a try and see how it goes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Romeojk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2023, 09:35 AM   #16
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
Getting back to your original question, had a friend who worked for the Yankees who had a little bed built under his desk.
Old 11 February 2023, 02:18 PM   #17
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
lol
Old 11 February 2023, 02:41 PM   #18
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
I think sleeping on the floor is a bit intentional and will look poorly if found. Maybe consider an executive office chair with a back that reclines, not fixed 90 degrees to the seat and only leans back. You can put your feet up, recline the back and try not to snore.
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2023, 02:41 PM   #19
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Vote yes to naps. I would guess I take one a few times a week for 30 mins or so. Love it. I try to get at least 6 hours per night but I would feel best if I got 8.
Old 11 February 2023, 10:45 PM   #20
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
My son-in-law was a professional hockey player and is now head coach of a D1 college team. At least in hockey, napping is as much a part of the day as eating meals, especially on game day, usually an hour or better.

If I’m not doing something otherwise, I frequently crash between 4 and 5PM and nap for 30-45 minutes.
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2023, 01:41 AM   #21
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
I’m a monster nap fan. In fact, I just woke up from a 15 minute nap. I love them. Glorious is right.

I have a couch in my office and I nap often. I encourage others to do the same. I offer it up all the time.

I debated putting a couch in our small conference room for the staff.

I’d not encourage hours long naps. There is work to be done. But a 30 minute Power Nap. Oh yes. Hells yes.
Right on there! I would much rather have an employee take a 15-20 minute cat nap and be good for another three hours of afternoon work than have them be tired and losing productivity or worse, making mistakes. My last paralegal was in shock when I told her she could shut her door and nap out for a bit when she needed it.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2023, 02:25 AM   #22
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I can nap any time tbh, in fact if I wasn't typing thi....... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2023, 02:34 AM   #23
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
We have a down couch that is a guaranteed knock out. But napping at work, unless you are a sole practitioner, seems like bad public relations.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2023, 02:35 AM   #24
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
George Costanza?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzPaul View Post
Getting back to your original question, had a friend who worked for the Yankees who had a little bed built under his desk.
Sounds like his move.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2023, 02:38 AM   #25
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
We have a down couch that is a guaranteed knock out. But napping at work, unless you are a sole practitioner, seems like bad public relations.
If OP works at a suburban office park, 9-5, then yes agreed. In other professional environments, napping at the office can be like a badge of honor proving that you must have worked crazy hours. This happened when I worked in Asia and folks would act proud about it (although in actuality, most of their work was fake and just involved sitting at a desk to impress the Boss Man).
Old 12 February 2023, 03:25 AM   #26
Mifune
Banned

Napping is one of my daily joys...
Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2023, 05:26 AM   #27
SearChart
TechXpert

I rarely nap, but I do get 8-9 hours every night so I guess I don't need to.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2023, 01:10 AM   #28
cglondon
"TRF" Member

I’m a service engineer. I usually have a good hour every morning when I get to my site before I need to start my work. So i grab my cushion from the van, stretch out across the seats and have a quick Power Nap.

I can sleep anywhere though. I understand how lucky I am. My Mrs is the complete opposite.

For the guys that are fans of the power naps. How do you sleep at night? It can take my Mrs an hour to fall asleep. I can literally count down from 5 and I’m asleep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cglondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2023, 07:37 AM   #29
Mr Ben
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Can you work from home? Ever since the start of covid, my lunch break is a quick soup and a sandwich and a half hour nap in my own bed which is in the room next to my home office. It’s a good thing - hugely improved my afternoon productivity!
Mr Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2023, 06:43 PM   #30
rolehex

Yep just a 15 minute nap in the afternoon recharges me for the rest of the day.
rolehex is offline   Reply With Quote