The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 January 2024, 12:33 AM   #1
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Britt says: "It's happening!" (end of the Rolex drought)

First hand experience from Rolex AD - several models available

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAH6lXjLJgM

From the comments:

Quote:
Hey, Britt! I'm local to Atlanta.

Mayors had tons of models out yesterday. OP 34s, DJs, fluted bezels, Jubilee bracelets, all different sizes and NO Diamonds. They even had an Air King and Explorer 36 SS!!!

I went in and they offered me a 124060 (Black Ceramic Submariner). Instantly scooped it up. Stop by Mayors if you get a chance, easily the best AD I've seen.
Maybe it's close to over? I've also been offered some unsolicited models outside my list.

The hyped SS Sports models still being kept in the safe, of course.
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 12:46 AM   #2
pandajoe
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ Sub Pepsi SkyD
Agree. Seems like the tide is slowly turning. Good news for us watch lovers. Hope it keeps up !
pandajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 01:15 AM   #3
Tuma
"TRF" Member

I to have seen watches for sale over the past couple of months both in my local AD's window, airport departure lounge's...

I have also been told from one AD that the advise that they have been given from Rolex is to make watches "available" to the public with a goal to eliminating wait lists within reason but without opening the floodgates and creating mass riots!

The AD's spend a lot of time managing waitlists and customers expectations, would it not be easier for them just to put them in the windows for sale?
Tuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 01:47 AM   #4
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Scooping up a Submariner is a good sign.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 01:49 AM   #5
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Old 23 January 2024, 02:00 AM   #6
Madman37
"TRF" Member

Black daytona ceramic and OP celebration dial here i come
Madman37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 02:00 AM   #7
Mathematoxic
"TRF" Member

I was recently offered the 126713Grnr without putting in any request. Declined the offer as I’m not a fan of it. Hope things will get better for all collectors here.
Mathematoxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 03:35 AM   #8
johnliley
2024 Pledge Member

its all about the "clicks" this time of year.

JL
Old 23 January 2024, 03:40 AM   #9
PhilAviate
"TRF" Member

No great surprise, with all the people getting offers of random models they didn't ask for recently it is clear that the "buy anything that says Rolex" craze has ended.
Christmas was their last gasp at trying to hide the inevitable return to sanity.

I look forward to being able to make a silly, impulse driven, purchase again soon. There's fun in going to stores for new socks and coming home with a watch from the dealer's window.
PhilAviate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 04:28 AM   #10
Duralex
Banned

Rolex grifting is big on YouTube
Duralex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 04:53 AM   #11
S’portEye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathematoxic View Post
I was recently offered the 126713Grnr without putting in any request. Declined the offer as I’m not a fan of it. Hope things will get better for all collectors here.

Me too. About 2 weeks ago.
S’portEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 04:54 AM   #12
PhilAviate
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duralex View Post
Rolex grifting is big on YouTube
Not really grifting in this case when she has video evidence and other people finding the same.

The grifters are the ones still spouting "to the moon investments" and "MSRP will never happen again" nonsense.

It is refreshing to see a return to normality.
Old 23 January 2024, 05:00 AM   #13
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilAviate View Post
Not really grifting in this case when she has video evidence and other people finding the same.

The grifters are the ones still spouting "to the moon investments" and "MSRP will never happen again" nonsense.

O.k. Welcome to TRF.
Old 23 January 2024, 05:20 AM   #14
Duralex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilAviate View Post

The grifting is clicks from Rolex “news” whether it claims scarcity or not. Rolex in background, wide eyed open mouth face pulled, arrows going up or down etc…
Duralex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 05:23 AM   #15
Carbon Brakes
Banned

The watch market, like all markets, was going to return to sanity. No market in history has remained white hot forever.
Carbon Brakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 05:29 AM   #16
PhilAviate
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
O.k. Welcome to TRF.
Thanks, I was a member here for a decade+, but lost my email access to my old account.
Old 23 January 2024, 05:46 AM   #17
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
Another data point - I've traveled to 5 states in 2023 and stopped in countless AD locations and never got a call for anything until a week ago for a TT Sub.
Nads786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 06:12 AM   #18
Oystersteel92
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathematoxic View Post
I really like that one, and would find it hard to turn down (which is why I haven't asked for it). I think I've settled on a DD40 with diamond onyx dial but am waiting to see what W&W comes up with this year.
Oystersteel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 06:19 AM   #19
OTX
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nads786 View Post
Another data point - I've traveled to 5 states in 2023 and stopped in countless AD locations and never got a call for anything until a week ago for a TT Sub.
I also live in the Chicago area and found it very hard to get anything from an AD. Too many big spenders here. I doubt you’ll get anything without a spend history. I do feel things are getting slightly better.
OTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 06:26 AM   #20
sctodc
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Would be great - the wait is painful, and I probably have until December
sctodc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 06:37 AM   #21
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuma View Post

The AD's spend a lot of time managing waitlists and customers expectations, would it not be easier for them just to put them in the windows for sale?
No, not necessarily. Many people don't have time to be doing laps at the AD everyday in hopes of catching something. I mean who does, I have a career, family, a life, not just living to stop by the AD for a watch. That would only work if there wasn't such a huge demand, sufficient stock, also if there weren't flippers just buying to flip. Flippers and grey dealers in particular do have time to just window shop everyday, that is their business. They would benefit and have people checking stores and immediately buy anything hot and put it up for sale with a huge markup.

In the current market it is best to manage some stock as they do. The only key is that hopefully they would manage it honestly and fairly, which is not always the case.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 07:00 AM   #22
Timekeep111
"TRF" Member

Times are tough right now for some people. They are liquidating to keep their heads above water. A lot of these people are or were buying Rolex to turn a profit and now the arse has fallen out of their pretty little world.

So with fewer people affording a Rolex availability is becoming easier. But as soon as the next upswing happens, we will see Rolex become just as unavailable as it was over the past 10 years and grey prices over retail once more.
Timekeep111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 07:12 AM   #23
PhilAviate
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timekeep111 View Post
Times are tough right now for some people. They are liquidating to keep their heads above water. A lot of these people are or were buying Rolex to turn a profit and now the arse has fallen out of their pretty little world.

So with fewer people affording a Rolex availability is becoming easier. But as soon as the next upswing happens, we will see Rolex become just as unavailable as it was over the past 10 years and grey prices over retail once more.
10 years? I had no issue buying everything I wanted as walk in from 1998 until 2019. So 3-4 years max, except for one or two specific models.
Old 23 January 2024, 07:14 AM   #24
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTX View Post
I also live in the Chicago area and found it very hard to get anything from an AD. Too many big spenders here. I doubt you’ll get anything without a spend history. I do feel things are getting slightly better.
Yeah there truly is, I don't think I realized that until recently. Regardless when I started looking for a Sub in Feb of 2023 it was laughable to get a TT Sub, almost a year later one is offered to me.
Old 23 January 2024, 07:21 AM   #25
OTX
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah there truly is, I don't think I realized that until recently. Regardless when I started looking for a Sub in Feb of 2023 it was laughable to get a TT Sub, almost a year later one is offered to me.
I also was offered a TT Sub a few months ago and jumped on it. I saw a friend wearing one prior and my wife also commented how it’s the prettiest Rolex she has seen so I went seeking one and got it soon after. It’s a beautiful watch!. I’m going to wait out the hype and if things slow down a little, I might get another one. For now, I have come to the conclusion that getting a ss sports model at a Chicago AD is extremely hard if not impossible without a purchase history.
OTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 07:34 AM   #26
Kane County Illinois
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Any pointers to where to look for Sub No Date in the Chicagoland area!
Kane County Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 07:40 AM   #27
Rolex1982
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Meteorite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman37 View Post
Black daytona ceramic and OP celebration dial here i come
I hope so too! It will be an expensive year!
Rolex1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 07:50 AM   #28
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTX View Post
I also was offered a TT Sub a few months ago and jumped on it. I saw a friend wearing one prior and my wife also commented how it’s the prettiest Rolex she has seen so I went seeking one and got it soon after. It’s a beautiful watch!. I’m going to wait out the hype and if things slow down a little, I might get another one. For now, I have come to the conclusion that getting a ss sports model at a Chicago AD is extremely hard if not impossible without a purchase history.
It is a very beautiful watch. I had my heart set on a SS version and one day I may jump on the TT.

I'm really interested in a GMT in the next 2-3 years, but also content if it doesn't happen. I really love the Sub.

Chicago is right behind LA for most millionaires.

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/top...ultra-wealthy/
Old 23 January 2024, 07:52 AM   #29
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane County Illinois View Post
Any pointers to where to look for Sub No Date in the Chicagoland area!
I wish I could help you, but I didn't have much luck myself. I'd suggest you check out the Rolex AD on Michigan Ave. They weren't great when I first visited but they have all new employees.

I would actually inquire online and have someone call you and setup an appointment rather than walk-in.

Other than that, perhaps try Razny and CD Peacock. I just went to Razny and put myself down for a GMT and wasn't laughed out of the store.
Old 23 January 2024, 07:58 AM   #30
Rolexatlast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timekeep111 View Post

Wishful thinking

Normality is full cases at ADs
Rolexatlast is offline   Reply With Quote