The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 7 January 2013, 05:58 AM   #1
ecg4
"TRF" Member

Vintage Women's Watch

Hello-

I received a watch from my grandmother and have been unable to identify it through searches online. I would greatly appreciate any help identifying it and also recommendations on restoring it. I've noticed similar identification posts on this forum and thought someone may be able to help.

Thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00068.jpg (69.4 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00069.jpg (57.8 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00073.jpg (51.5 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00075.jpg (52.1 KB, 114 views)
ecg4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2013, 06:08 AM   #2
Kingair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough ;-)
Pretty sure Linda can help you with this one . . . .

Good luck

HAGOne

Kingair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2013, 10:28 AM   #3
DrLindaPhD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Boys Tudor Sub
Nice. White gold. 14k watch and bracelet (not sure if back case is ss or white gold but typically if the bracelet and case on the front are white gold the back is white gold. It's what is called a "Ladies Precision" Cocktail watch. Square case. Raised indices. Looks like European cut diamonds. Strange nothing on the back case at all. I think perhaps someone "rubbed out" engraving and therefore rubbed off the model number and crown. I could be wrong but it looks pretty smooth and clean and for a 1950s watch (about that era) it should be scratched up somewhat especially since the dial is weathered pretty good. If it is from your Grandmother, find out if it had engraving that was removed. Otherwise, take the back case off and read the numbers on the back case. You can also put it up to the light and tip the case just right and pick up some faint service dates which helps date the watch.

Not sure if you want to know a price. The gold content is more valuable than the watch (right now that is) since it looks like (without movement) that is has a good 30g of gold.
I could be wrong. Weight it without movement or if you don't want to do that, typically on a movement like that you allow for 10g.

I think it is a nice watch and a nice bracelet and white gold is a little harder to find than yellow gold.

What are you looking to do with it?
DrLindaPhD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2013, 01:02 PM   #4
DrLindaPhD
"TRF" Member

Also, not sure but when the crown is flat and big like that it is usually a stainless steel watch but the bracelet says 14k so I'm a bit confused unless someone replaced the crown or unless the bracelet was an aftermarket add on at some point. I have one that looks similar but at least has the case number on the back (where you can see it, not on the inside back cover).
Old 8 January 2013, 02:54 PM   #5
05tbowner
"TRF" Member

Bracelet actually says it's 18k.
05tbowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2013, 02:58 PM   #6
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

the case looks hallmarked on the side near the crown what does it look like under magnification or is that a dent, i dont see anywhere on the band where it says 14k, i must be missing something, it says cb750, more likely 750 for 18k, regardless it a nice ladies cockatail watch enjoy
Old 9 January 2013, 04:01 PM   #7
DrLindaPhD
"TRF" Member

oops - it is 18k - 585 is for 14k. So, it's 18k (750). Good gold content value. Nice little diamonds. Don't know if watch runs or when last serviced.
Old 11 January 2013, 12:57 PM   #8
ecg4
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLindaPhD View Post
What are you looking to do with it?
I would like to get it restored. As of now, it does not run, but if you have any advice or suggestions on where to take it or what to do, I would appreciate it. The watch has sentimental value, and I would love to have it functioning too.

Thank you for all the information. This has been very helpful!
ecg4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2013, 09:19 PM   #9
DrLindaPhD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecg4 View Post
I would like to get it restored. As of now, it does not run, but if you have any advice or suggestions on where to take it or what to do, I would appreciate it. The watch has sentimental value, and I would love to have it functioning too.

Thank you for all the information. This has been very helpful!

Bob Ridley restores vintage watches. Maybe it just needs to be cleaned and polished first. See if that works before restoring the dial.
Old 16 January 2013, 10:25 PM   #10
andromeda160
Banned

Watch: Rolex Oyster
I think if this watch were to come up for sale it would be more than scrap. I think the watch is gorgeous. It's rare to see a gold bracelet like that especially on a vintage women's watch. Back then that was the equivalent of a female presidential masterpiece. And I'm sure most of them have already been scrapped. Pretty neat and rare piece if you ask me
andromeda160 is offline   Reply With Quote