The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 31 May 2024, 10:47 AM   #1
Yale99tony
"TRF" Member

Vintage 1963-64 Rolex President Day-Date HELP!

Hi Everyone,

I am new to the rolex forum as I have just signed up today. I just bought my first Roelx Presidential Day-Date, it's an older vintage piece, it's a 1963-64 1803 with the 18k YG Case, Fluted Bezel, and Leather Strap.

This is the exact watch I bought here:

I need some help though, this watch unforuntately didn't come with any boxes or papers (just the papers from the company, I believe it's an apprasial report or something)

I really would like to find and buy the original box that this would have came in, preferably, the inner box, the outer box, along with the manuals and if possible the hang tag.

I tried looking on eBay, but the only thing I really see are boxes for the 70s,80s, and 90s Presidents.

Can anyone help me out here and shed some light on this and give me a link to one or show me what I should be looking for?

Thanks,
Yale99tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2024, 11:25 AM   #2
S’portEye
"TRF" Member

Looks weird.
S’portEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2024, 01:44 AM   #3
carwashchris
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Vintage DD'S
Tuscanyrose & watchpartsdoc On IG
carwashchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2024, 09:40 PM   #4
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Advice to you….dont stress about assembling a “set”. You aren’t going to find the proper hang tag (watch serial) anyways. Why buy a box only to put it aside? Where do you buy the watch?
Old 2 June 2024, 01:39 AM   #5
Yale99tony
"TRF" Member

I bought the watch from Swiss Watch Expo. It's usually where ai buy all my watches from.

They are pretty well known for used watches.

The only thing that bugs me about the watch itself is that the spacing of the letters and the font on the dial. Not sure if it's because it's 60 years old, or if something is off about it.

I did take it to 3 jewlers that sell rolexs, one being an authorized dealer and everyone did tell me it was good though. So it must be just me. Haha. But I like having the full set. I still wear them. It's not like it just sits in the safe.
Old 2 June 2024, 04:21 AM   #6
dbhak22
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ♛
I had a '65 Day-Date that was just like yours (notice the pencil hands vs. the more common stick hands). Check out the box/booklets for reference on your hunt:

And here's my personal Day-Date from the mid-60s as well as another reference point:

Old 2 June 2024, 09:31 AM   #7
tekno
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Snowflake
Skip box and put $ back in the watch. Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
tekno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2024, 04:33 PM   #8
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Suggest buying BP with the watch. Integrity and authenticity to the set. Rather than cobbling which always felt contrived and fakey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2024, 02:24 AM   #9
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGMT View Post
Suggest buying BP with the watch. Integrity and authenticity to the set. Rather than cobbling which always felt contrived and fakey.

How is tracking down authentic, period-correct Rolex accessories any different than finding authentic, period-correct parts for the actual watch, whether it's a bezel insert, hands, dial, or whatever? Guys do that all of the time, but I've heard this argument before about boxes/manuals etc ...

I've never had an issue with sets that are put together after the fact, as long as they're correct for the watch. (Of course, not talking about a Rolex guarantee paper, which needs to be with the watch from its birth.)
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2024, 02:27 AM   #10
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post

I've never had an issue with sets that are put together after the fact, as long as they're correct for the watch.
Here’s how it’s different: somebody at your level, with your extensive knowledge and background on these things, could cobble together an accurate set with integrity. My guess is 99% of the people doing this and reselling them have no idea what they’re doing and grabbing stuff more generally and broadly. Hence, the surefire away, is to purchase “as – sold”

GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2024, 07:30 AM   #11
Yale99tony
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the replies everyone! Just to let everyone know. I don't plan on reselling any of these watches, I plan on keeping them and passing them on.

I am in my 20s right now, and just starting my watch collection. I bought my first rolex last year, it's a 1991 16233 with the factory diamond hour markers, and this year it's my first day-date, I just like having the boxes as it makes me geuinely feel better when I am not wearing the watches and when they are in my safe.

I am the type of guy that babies everything and I keep for the boxes for anything I buy haha.

Also quick question, is it me, or just the text,font,spacing look off on the dial?
Old 5 June 2024, 12:35 AM   #12
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yale99tony View Post

Also quick question, is it me, or just the text,font,spacing look off on the dial?
You'd need to post better, clearer close-ups of the dial. I did notice that some of the tritium dots are a strange color and different than the others that have patina'd to a ivory-yellow color.

(EDIT: I see you started another thread about this topic).
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2024, 06:58 AM   #13
Dench
"TRF" Member

Maybe it's the lightbox photos, but the lugs look really thin.
Dench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2024, 08:25 AM   #14
TimeLord2
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
You'd need to post better, clearer close-ups of the dial. I did notice that some of the tritium dots are a strange color and different than the others that have patina'd to a ivory-yellow color.

(EDIT: I see you started another thread about this topic).
I think the darker dots are remanents of the tritium dots where they have fallen off. Yeah, I could be wrong.
TimeLord2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2024, 05:46 PM   #15
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Yes there are several dark spots where the original Tritium lume dots fell off over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:11 PM   #16
Bell904
"TRF" Member

Agree
Bell904 is offline   Reply With Quote