The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 July 2021, 04:34 PM   #1
tquieng
"TRF" Member

Rolex quartz worth buying?

Just how reliable are they?
Hate to get one and battery leaks and the watch is history.
Are these easy fix if it breaks?
tquieng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2021, 04:59 PM   #2
Master_Grogu
Banned

If you can get the replacement pieces, the watch is more simple in its construction than a mechanical one. Motor, logic board, and that’s pretty much the two main elements. Had mine repaired by RSC and it was about 1700$ for the service and the new motor.

Battery leak wise, I wouldn’t worry about it. Just be smart about it and don’t leave a battery in it for too long. When it starts to be empty, change it for a new one and you’ll be safe.
Master_Grogu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2021, 05:13 PM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Grogu View Post
If you can get the replacement pieces, the watch is more simple in its construction than a mechanical one. Motor, logic board, and that’s pretty much the two main elements. Had mine repaired by RSC and it was about 1700$ for the service and the new motor.

Battery leak wise, I wouldn’t worry about it. Just be smart about it and don’t leave a battery in it for too long. When it starts to be empty, change it for a new one and you’ll be safe.
Not quite true the Oysterquartz has a lot of mechanical parts the main drive train is from the cal 3035.And to replace the Oysterquartz movement was more expensive than the mechanical at one time. Yes motors and logic boards can be replaced but quite costly, but in general its a very reliable movement with proper regular RSC service. The the Oysterquartz uses a SR344 battery and its not rocket science to change it yourself. Even most high street watchmakers could do with the case back tool its only like unscrewing a jar and pressure check after. You can buy a pack of 5xSR344 batteries for around £8-£10 its not like if its some special Rolex certified battery its just a normal run of the mill battery. But trouble today once you mention Rolex the price always escalates 10 fold, and its no different to change a battery in a Rolex as to changing one in say a Seiko dive watch.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2021, 06:07 PM   #4
TomLou
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rlx 1807 President
A very reliable and super accurate Rolex
I think 25.000 watches was the entire production in all metals - I say very rare as well
TomLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2021, 06:13 PM   #5
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Not quite true the Oysterquartz has a lot of mechanical parts the main drive train is from the cal 3035.And to replace the Oysterquartz movement was more expensive than the mechanical at one time. Yes motors and logic boards can be replaced but quite costly, but in general its a very reliable movement with proper regular RSC service. The the Oysterquartz uses a SR344 battery and its not rocket science to change it yourself. Even most high street watchmakers could do with the case back tool its only like unscrewing a jar and pressure check after. You can buy a pack of 5xSR344 batteries for around £8-£10 its not like if its some special Rolex certified battery its just a normal run of the mill battery. But trouble today once you mention Rolex the price always escalates 10 fold, and its no different to change a battery in a Rolex as to changing one in say a Seiko dive watch.

One of my favourites.

And as you have said changing the battery is easy once you tame that tiny screw.

Bas tells me that it is one of the bigger screws that Rolex uses - well ok Bas but you have youth on your side.

Holding the cover down while you locate the screw takes nerves of steel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg F24FA3D1-A846-4524-847C-BE749CB4EE56.jpeg (183.7 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpeg 5F677ED3-369A-418C-815E-B2D4A1B3DC3E.jpeg (165.1 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpeg B39775B3-DECE-483E-8C11-C274487B0C35.jpeg (215.5 KB, 124 views)

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2021, 06:25 PM   #6
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
X2 Peter.

One of my favourites.

And as you have said changing the battery is easy once you tame that tiny screw.

Bas tells me that it is one of the bigger screws that Rolex uses - well ok Bas but you have youth on your side.

Holding the cover down while you locate the screw takes nerves of steel.

Agree the screw can be a bit challenging especially with eyesight and fingers not as good as they were 20-30 years ago. Yesterday had to change battery in my car remote control and that was more of a challenge with the very very tiny screws.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2021, 06:30 PM   #7
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
I like quartz watches. I have a number of them. Generally, if one stops, I put a new battery in it for about $5. Sending a quartz watch in for $1700 service is never going to happen.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote