The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old Yesterday, 05:24 AM   #1
LazyTimegrapher
"TRF" Member

Minute repeaters

I was browsing watches online and came across the phenomenally expensive complication of the minute repeater. What is the point of this complication? Is it basically similar to a tourbillon in that it doesn’t really do anything other than make the watch expensive, which is its own benefit for some watch buyers?

I tend to pick watches and complications based on functionality, so I’m a fan of a clear dial with easily readable time and good lume. I also really like date complications since I never remember the date. The other one I love is the worldtime feature and jumping hour hand, which works great when traveling. I also find dive bezels useful for timing stuff. Not a fan of chronographs as too complicated and busy. Also not much of a fan of calendar watches, as it’s not hard to remember the day of the week, the month, or the year.

I can’t tell if minute repeaters have some functional value I’m not aware of or if my focus on functionality in watch complications is unusual for the general high end (e.g. Patek) watch buyer.
LazyTimegrapher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:27 AM   #2
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Minute repeaters

We’re mid way through 2024. What is the point of an analog mechanical watch in general? At least a blind man can tell the time with a minute repeater vs a 3 hander with “a clear dial and good lume”
kieselguhr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:20 AM   #3
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
That’s a very long rant to say that you have not adequately informed yourself of the functionality of a minute repeater.

It converts the visual display to tones. You don’t need to look at the watch to know the time.
Maleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:17 AM   #4
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleg View Post
That’s a very long rant to say that you have not adequately informed yourself of the functionality of a minute repeater.

It converts the visual display to tones. You don’t need to look at the watch to know the time.
When I was growing up we had a church in town that did that. Unfortunately waiting for it to count up to the right number of rings/bells, you could have just asked someone the time.
Old Yesterday, 09:23 AM   #5
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
When I was growing up we had a church in town that did that. Unfortunately waiting for it to count up to the right number of rings/bells, you could have just asked someone the time.
What would be the fun in that?

I have a minute repeater that I inherited from my grandfather. Sitting on the porch, watching the sun settle over the horizon, with the chimes of the watch singing their tune is one of my favorite pastimes…. I’m officially an old man.
Old Yesterday, 09:32 AM   #6
LazyTimegrapher
"TRF" Member

Lol. Appreciate the feedback.

I guess my tone came across in a way I wasn’t intending.

I was just giving background on the types of watches I like, not trying to trash watches that aren’t for me. It’s not that I think chronographs or calendar watches are dumb. They just aren’t for me. That’s what I meant by I’m not a fan of various complications.

I just don’t really understand how minute repeaters are used. Is it like the chime on a Casio watch that you can set? Does it go off every single minute? I read that they were made for the blind, which is an interesting use case.

I guess I was just trying to see if anyone on here likes them, and if you do, what do you like about them? I also wonder that for perpetual calendars and tourbillions too. Is it just the skill required to make such a complex mechanism?

I guess I deserve the ribbing for the tone of my question.

I still am actually curious what people admire or appreciate about these watch complications though, if anyone’s willing to forgive the unintended tone of the question.

Funny critiques are also appreciated. Thanks!
Old Yesterday, 09:47 AM   #7
LazyTimegrapher
"TRF" Member

So I just watched a YouTube video about them. Previously I was just looking at Patek’s website and reading forums about them. The video explained and showed that when you push the case it sort of sings the time audibly. I didn’t realize that’s what they did. I thought they just made a sound at certain time intervals and couldn’t figure out why that would be desirable.

Definitely interesting that it’s technically possible to achieve that mechanically.

Anyway, still interested in what people like about these watches or if there are particularly interesting uses for them.
Old Yesterday, 10:55 AM   #8
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleg View Post
What would be the fun in that?

I have a minute repeater that I inherited from my grandfather. Sitting on the porch, watching the sun settle over the horizon, with the chimes of the watch singing their tune is one of my favorite pastimes…. I’m officially an old man.
They are truly amazing watches.

When I buy watches though I usually ask myself what it would cost if I had to repair it, and some of the big complications would scare me away.
Old Today, 06:51 AM   #9
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
They are truly amazing watches.

When I buy watches though I usually ask myself what it would cost if I had to repair it, and some of the big complications would scare me away.
When you get a little older you will recognize that you probably won’t live long enough to need a service. Then you will find watch nirvana.
Old Today, 10:44 AM   #10
SearChart
TechXpert

I've played with quite a few of them from various brands and in different metals (sound changes).

While it is a useless complication in this day and age, it wasn't useless pre electricity. A mechanical watch is obsolete nowadays period.

I must say it is one of the most amazing complications out there, there's a market for it, so why not?
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote