The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 29 January 2007, 09:23 AM   #1
sub2004
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona
Icon7 Panerai strap change help

Hi Friends

I wanted to do my first strap change on my panny, from the black to the tan strap.

However, i am not entirely sure how to go about it. It seems simple enough but i dont want to make a mistake...

Can someone post a link or give me a quick step by step run down of the strap change?

Much appreciated
sub2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2007, 09:27 AM   #2
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Hey Don,

I think the screw head should be visible from the side of the lug. Just insert the screwdriver and turn counter-clockwise. Should work!!

Good luck - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2007, 10:09 AM   #3
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Watch: can I?
Do you have a luminor or a radiomir?

Member # 293
Launch Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2007, 12:54 PM   #4
sub2004
"TRF" Member

Hi Launch

I have a luminor base logo 000.

I get the part about the side screw, but what about the "tube" and changing the buckle etc??

Cheers
Old 29 January 2007, 01:19 PM   #5
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Okay, got a starting point
There are 3 screws you will need to remove. One on each lug, and one for the buckle.
I usually work on one at a time.
First, work over top of something like a towel, incase you drop a piece, it doesn't bounce across the floor
If you are a bit unsure of your screwdriver skills, you can put a piece of scotch tape over the first screw in the lug.
Us the tip of the screwdriver & gently undo the first screw. It will unscrew around a 1/4 of an inch. YOu will feel it slip at this point. Just use your fingers to pull the screw out.
Inside the end of the strap, you will see a metal "tube". this is a reinforcement for the strap.
Take your screwdriver, and using the flat edge of the bit, gently push on the tube, it should slide out the other side. Pull it out & re insert into the new strap. ( unless the strap is a new rubber one. You will see it already contains a built in tube)
Place the new strap between the lugs & line up the holes. Slide the screw in ( threads first) and wiggle it around, until you feel the screws slip into the lug hole on the other side.
Take your screwdriver, and FIRST, turn counterclockwise, until you feel a slight "Click", then screw it in all the way. Give it a good "snug" twist, but not too much.
Then just repeat for the other side.
On the buckle, when you remove the screw, the tang will come out also. So on reattachment, put the screw it to the tang hole, slip the tang in & slide the screw the rest of the way.
Again, counterclockwise first, then tighten
This is also a good time to remove one of the extra keepers, if you like only one.
Good luck, take your time & have fun

Member # 293
Old 29 January 2007, 01:53 PM   #6
sub2004
"TRF" Member

Hi Launch

Thank you very much for explaining the strap change to me.

My logo is now on a tan strap and looks so much cooler. I bought the logo a few months ago but wasnt giving it too much wrist time because i didnt like the black strap. I love the "historic" look of the tan/brown straps. I had told this to my AD who took out the plastic divers strap and exchanged it with a tan strap.

Now the logo looks great and has the "look" that i love.

Some beginner points:

1. Changing the bucke was very hard, the screw didnt pop out like on the case, i put some tissue paper around the screw and gently pulled it out with my teeth

2. The buckle has no "tube".

3.Now i know why straps are so addictive, its like a new watch...

Once again, thank you very much.

If i may ask another question, my dealer has the 005 logo (sub seconds), is it worth getting that to compliment the logo or should i go for a 111 or something else?
Old 29 January 2007, 02:13 PM   #7
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Ooops, I forgot to tell you no buckle on the buckle.
Yeah, I have used my teeth a couple times too. The screw gets stuck on the leather. Really tough on the rubber strap too.
I have the 005 and really like it. BUt, yes it is similar but different than the 000.
I really like the radiomirs too. I have two now ( 98 & 210). They are larger , but wear smaller. Hard to explain, but they sit way different on your wrist.
Something with a display back ( 111) would be a nice addition too.

Member # 293
Old 29 January 2007, 02:21 PM   #8
sub2004
"TRF" Member

The AD here gets about 5-10 pieces every few months and all the "nice" ones go quick.

2 weeks ago they got in a submersible, i saw it during my lunch break, went back over the weekend and it was gone

Of the few remaining pieces, there is a radiomir black seal, a titanium base, 005 logo, daylight, power reserve. To purchase i only prefer the black seal and the 005 logo.

Once again thank you for the strap change guide. I need to save what you wrote for me for my next change or i will mess it up.

I like your radiomir alarm, that is cool
Old 29 January 2007, 02:34 PM   #9
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

The black seal is a nice one. For that strap change, i would want to find the video on Paneristi.com
I was afraid to change mine for the longest time. Now it is not too bad.
Four small (really small screws) and two piece "wires". A little finicky, but manageable.

Member # 293
Old 29 January 2007, 02:39 PM   #10
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Not a video, but step by step with pics
http://www.network54.com/Forum/35339...to%27+%26gt%3B
For me, I found that 3 1/2 turns on each screw is enough to remove the wire & keep the screw in the watch still.

Member # 293
Old 29 January 2007, 02:44 PM   #11
sub2004
"TRF" Member

Good grief, a radiomir strap change looks more complicated than surgery.

No radiomirs for me, i had enough stress changing the strap on the luminor case.

Guess i will wait till the AD has a 111, or something else cool that has sub seconds and is manual wound/historic.
Old 29 January 2007, 03:47 PM   #12
amanda
Banned

Awesome thanks for posting that Mini - I'll be needing that doco later on....

hmmm sub2004 - a 111 would be a great compliment to your Logo, you'd get the sandwich dial and the display back - veeeery nice indeed!

Show us a pick of your zero - I am still waiting for one to arrive in Melbourne so must live vicariously through you lot!
amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2007, 03:58 PM   #13
sub2004
"TRF" Member

Hi Amanda

I have tried attaching a pic that JJ took when we had a GTG a few weeks ago. Thanks to Launch i have changed to a historic tan strap which makes the watch look mind blowing.

I have been lurking on panerisiti, those cats have watches that are out of this world.

I feel for you, you have been waiting for a panny for a long time from your AD aye. It a tough choice between 000, 005, 111. My AD here in NZ still has the 005 and 176 base titanium. Come by and you can have one of those by tomorow afternoon, better price than Aussie AD anyday.

Will you take any that comes in or you waiting for a particular model, last i read was that you would get any historic that comes in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DON 3.jpg (51.0 KB, 143 views)
Old 29 January 2007, 04:09 PM   #14
amanda
Banned

I'd probably grab any Historic that comes in... 112 or either Logo before the 111... I dont want to add another $700 to the purchase to be honest with you.. I wont have too with the 3 listed the 111 is more expensive, I think its COSC which makes the 111 pricier than the other 3... guys am I right????

P.S sorry your photo is great... LOVE the Logo!
Old 29 January 2007, 04:18 PM   #15
sub2004
"TRF" Member

the 111 has the cosc and the cotes geneve patterning. IMHO i prefer the old 'panerai paneria panerai' finishing they had before on the display backs. That was ultra cool.

A PAM 005 Logo is tax free $6300 NZ dollars here, i could get the AD to give it to you for 6k even becuase i just got the logo and also my sub from them. You can also choose your strap, i didnt want two black straps, so switched to a new tan historic. Plus over here, with every PAM you get a Pam Agenda I got a 06 Agenda, its very cool.

In any event, i have my eye set on that 005 also, but happy to tell you about it in case you would like it.

But i agree, best to take any that comes in. Pams are hard to get for the most part. When i was buying, they had the 000 so i got that.
Old 29 January 2007, 04:30 PM   #16
amanda
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub2004 View Post
the 111 has the cosc and the cotes geneve patterning. IMHO i prefer the old 'panerai paneria panerai' finishing they had before on the display backs. That was ultra cool.

A PAM 005 Logo is tax free $6300 NZ dollars here, i could get the AD to give it to you for 6k even becuase i just got the logo and also my sub from them. You can also choose your strap, i didnt want two black straps, so switched to a new tan historic. Plus over here, with every PAM you get a Pam Agenda I got a 06 Agenda, its very cool.

In any event, i have my eye set on that 005 also, but happy to tell you about it in case you would like it.

But i agree, best to take any that comes in. Pams are hard to get for the most part. When i was buying, they had the 000 so i got that.
Thanks for your very kind offer Sub! My AD has my hard-earned-cold-cash to the token of $5000 already so I have to wait for him to ring me with a watch in stock! In Aus the 005 is $5200 I believe!
Old 29 January 2007, 04:38 PM   #17
djemmtee
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV Sub
i changed my straps for the first time on my 88....without tape and the screw driver bearly even touched the side of the lug hole...well it left a very faint impression that no one else will ever see but it bugs the crap out of me....needless to say, the next time i change my straps im gonna tape that whole damn thing up so i dont scratch it.....

very very very nice pam you have there sub, what model is it? sorry im a pam noob and cant tell what they are yet!

mike

Instagram: rolexfan69
djemmtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2007, 05:04 PM   #18
sub2004
"TRF" Member

Hi Mike

I have the logo base 000. Just put a tan historic strap on and now it looks killer.

After a long time today i took of my ss sub and put this baby on. It looks great. The strap makes the difference on these watches IMHO.
Old 29 January 2007, 05:12 PM   #19
amanda
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub2004 View Post
Hi Mike

I have the logo base 000. Just put a tan historic strap on and now it looks killer.

After a long time today i took of my ss sub and put this baby on. It looks great. The strap makes the difference on these watches IMHO.
Totally.. you gotta get yourself a Gabomagic or a Greg Stevens Crazy Horse they are coool as can be!!!
Old 29 January 2007, 07:07 PM   #20
djemmtee
"TRF" Member

greg stevens straps are really hard to get now right? i heard he was taking a hiatis until april, then start making straps again.

Old 31 January 2007, 04:12 PM   #21
amanda
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by djemmtee View Post
greg stevens straps are really hard to get now right? i heard he was taking a hiatis until april, then start making straps again.
I can wait.. I've got 3 x 24mm straps now and no Panerai to put them on!! DOH!!!
Old 31 January 2007, 05:47 PM   #22
Otis
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega x 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda View Post
I can wait.. I've got 3 x 24mm straps now and no Panerai to put them on!! DOH!!!

I can't wait until I can try and make a strap of my own. I like the idea of using old belts & shoes.
But, unfortunately, I don't think my favourite pair of old Converse chuck's are going to be torn apart, they are waaaay to comfortable.
Old 31 January 2007, 06:45 PM   #23
djemmtee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis View Post

I can't wait until I can try and make a strap of my own. I like the idea of using old belts & shoes.
But, unfortunately, I don't think my favourite pair of old Converse chuck's are going to be torn apart, they are waaaay to comfortable.

lol....i dont work anymore so my wardrobe consists of diesel jeans and a RVCA t-shirt....needless to say, my op oem croc is sitting in the box collecting dust because its wayyyyy tooo dressy! i cant wait till my sc calf skin straps come in

any other suggestions on non dressy straps?

Old 31 January 2007, 09:43 PM   #24
miner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djemmtee View Post

any other suggestions on non dressy straps?
I'm waiting on a Micah Copperplate, check the link:

http://www.vintagerstraps.com/

There's about a 4 week build time and I've got about 4 weeks to go In the meantime, Greg Crazy Horse and Gabo are the favourites, both are starting to wear really nicely.

miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2007, 09:55 PM   #25
walds11
"TRF" Member

Sweet. I have a Greg Crazy Horse and I really love it. Ages very well.

The Micah Carrier looks cool.

I ordered this custom made vintage tan strap from Aaron HKTAN in 24x22. I like Aaron's custom made straps because he can make just about anything. About a two week build time and a week or so shipping from Hong Kong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miner View Post
I'm waiting on a Micah Copperplate, check the link:

http://www.vintagerstraps.com/

There's about a 4 week build time and I've got about 4 weeks to go In the meantime, Greg Crazy Horse and Gabo are the favourites, both are starting to wear really nicely.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg hktanvintagetan.jpg (60.9 KB, 90 views)
walds11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2007, 11:44 PM   #26
Atomic

Gotta love a historic looking tan calf. I've sold all my gator straps now, so it's calf and rubber all the way for me now.

My faves are the Greg Crazy Horse:

The Strap Culture Folkler:

But my Mario Paci MP6 waterproof calf gets a lot of love too:

Although in honour of Sam potentially getting a 111 today, I'm wearing this combo cuz he said it's his favourite.
Old 1 February 2007, 08:24 AM   #27
djemmtee
"TRF" Member

ahhh! i got the sc folkler too....but i think i got the aged tan, Im getting my 2 straps this week sometime, i cant wait!

vintage straps: the carrrier looks reallly nice, does anyone have a scan of that?

Old 1 February 2007, 01:18 PM   #28
amanda
Banned

Quote:

My post should have read 'cant wait' but I'm sure you got that anyways!

I LOVE Converse chucks... soooo coool.. I have a brown leather pair I wear often with jeans in a casual setting hmmmmm straps??????? I wonder if you could do somethng groovy with the logo on them????
Old 1 February 2007, 02:00 PM   #29
Otis
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega x 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda View Post
I wonder if you could do somethng groovy with the logo on them????
You read my mind!

I think that the logo and random bits of shoe, with some frankenstein-ish white stiching would look pretty cool.

hmmm.....
Old 1 February 2007, 02:24 PM   #30
amanda
Banned

Quote:
You read my mind!

I think that the logo and random bits of shoe, with some frankenstein-ish white stiching would look pretty cool.

hmmm.....
I'll ship you a shoe, you can fiddle!!! I actually got mine for like $55 at the seconds store on Smith St in Collingwood! Bargain eh???