The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 28 May 2024, 04:47 PM   #1
carbon888
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Cyclops l SD43
Thoughts on IWC Top Gun 41 Ceratanium?

Seriously considering

PILOT’S WATCH CHRONOGRAPH 41 TOP GUN CERATANIUM® (IW388106)- $16,500 CAD

https://www.iwc.com/en/watch-collect...eratanium.html

OR

PILOT'S WATCH CHRONOGRAPH 41 TOP GUN CERAMIC (IW389401)- $11,100 CAD

https://www.iwc.com/en/watch-collect...1-top-gun.html

Both are 41mm but the Ceratanium is thinner. Is the material worth the price difference? New to IWC and there isn't that much info on these online unlike Rolex. I had a Rolex SD43 before but found it a bit big and top heavy, just wasn't comfortable as a daily and was kinda paranoid wearing it (didn't want to ding it). I'm new to IWC, so please give me your thoughts or if you own one of these two, please post photos! There isn't much info or video online

Looking forward to your replies and photos!
carbon888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2024, 09:22 PM   #2
RTG
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YM42 Ti
The quality is there with IWC. I can’t quantify value or worth with luxury items, but If I like something enough it doesn’t matter. Never hurts to ask for a discount.

Being thinner is a big deal, especially if you were worried about dinging your SD43. I don’t always want a display case back, but given those two options, I prefer seeing the movement. It looks interesting!

Judging only from those renderings, I like the ceratanium better but I would find out how bright or dark the lume is. Black lume is usually dim and doesn’t last long. From that rendering, the loom plots appear gray? I would find out how bright it is if loom is important to you.

Are you able to try these on before purchasing? Often times, the watch I like best in pictures is not the watch I like best on my wrist.
Old 28 May 2024, 10:23 PM   #3
agriculture&watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss Made
I would go with the second option. Dial is more legible and you have easy change strap system. Both great watches and very light ideally for the summer
Old 28 May 2024, 11:19 PM   #4
jed11
"TRF" Member

So in practice, the 1mm difference in thickness is hardly noticeable so I wouldn't say that was a deciding factor for me in choosing the ceratanium. A bonus, yes. But I chose the ceratanium because I just thought the more subtle color of the lume plots (which is sometimes grey, sometimes even a little cream in color) and the absence of the red second hands, felt a little more upscale to me. I also liked that the pushers were of the same material, again also making it feel a little but more upscale. And while I realize that it's not on the dial anywhere, I just never liked the in your face Top Gun branding (even if it was on the caseback!) and so the display back was also a huge plus for me!

Overall the ceratanium mode is definitely still sporty/rugged but when compared to the ceramic version, just feels more refined. And I'm happy to report that I have yet to see any marks on the case so perhaps the resiliency of the ceratanium is as advertised!
jed11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2024, 11:24 PM   #5
jed11
"TRF" Member

Oh and I also had the IWC spring bars that work with the easx straps installed at the boutique so now have the option to use the easx straps! You do have to get a separate buckle for these straps (which unfortunately are not ceratanium) but the boutique was kind enough to give that to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 29 May 2024, 12:11 AM   #6
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

There is an all lumed up model announced today
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2024, 12:36 PM   #7
jed11
"TRF" Member

Another reason for the ceratanium version…just goes better with any color strap you put on due to the monotone colorway. The splash of red is cool but for me, wouldn’t look great if you introduce another color.

Old 29 May 2024, 01:52 PM   #8
RTG
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YM42 Ti
Quote:
Originally Posted by jed11 View Post
Another reason for the ceratanium version…just goes better with any color strap you put on due to the monotone colorway. The splash of red is cool but for me, wouldn’t look great if you introduce another color.

I like that.
Old Yesterday, 10:03 AM   #9
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTG View Post
The quality is there with IWC. I can’t quantify value or worth with luxury items, but If I like something enough it doesn’t matter. Never hurts to ask for a discount.

Being thinner is a big deal, especially if you were worried about dinging your SD43. I don’t always want a display case back, but given those two options, I prefer seeing the movement. It looks interesting!

Judging only from those renderings, I like the ceratanium better but I would find out how bright or dark the lume is. Black lume is usually dim and doesn’t last long. From that rendering, the loom plots appear gray? I would find out how bright it is if loom is important to you.

Are you able to try these on before purchasing? Often times, the watch I like best in pictures is not the watch I like best on my wrist.

IWC’s Website has photos of them in the light and dark showing the lume. Good suggestion on checking the lume before buying.

https://www.iwc.com/us/en/watch-coll...eratanium.html
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote