The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 June 2024, 02:47 AM   #1
Doug5551
"TRF" Member

A Tale of Two Watches, inspired by Kiddodoc

I started my first job in June of 1979. I was 16 years old and worked at a Thrifty Drug Store in Garden Grove, California, near Disneyland, making $2.90 per hour. I don't remember what watch I wore at the time. I assume whatever utilitarian Timex or Casio my family got me. I wasn't into watches. I was really into various live music concerts I enjoyed attending.

21 years ago, in the summer of 2003, I was working as an intern at the City of Laguna Niguel, Orange County, CA while attending University of California, Irvine, studying for my Masters degree. I would frequently go to lunch with a coworker. He enjoyed browsing at a nearby Costco after we ate. One day, we were looking at the special case that held the watches. I was really taken by the Chase Durer Bomber Commander. It was a Chrono and was the nicest watch I had ever seen. Much better than any watch I had ever previously owned. As I was in Grad School, I didn't have much money, but I prioritized the pay from about 10 hours of my internship to get the watch as a reward as I started my career.

I wore it for about 5 years and enjoyed it. But then I got a cell phone and got really, really into motorcycle riding. I stopped wearing a watch, but stored my Chase Durer in my sock drawer.

In 2018, I was forced to end my career, but received a settlement so that I could live a modest life comfortably. I still wasn't into watches.

Do you know what you were doing 4 years ago?

I do. The pandemic lockdown had just started, and I was forced to stay at home. While trying to kill time on a prominent Adventure Motorcycle Riding forum, I stumbled on a thread they had about watches. It was about 2000 pages long. I read the most recent 1000 pages of the thread and learned a lot. I also started wearing my old watch and found that I really enjoyed wearing it again.

After a few months of research, I decided to get a Tudor Black Bay Burgundy, ref 79230. I got it exactly 4 years and two weeks ago. I remember going to a local Tudor/Rolex store for a complimentary sizing. It felt strange and unusual to find myself in a Rolex store for the first time. It was around this time I found this forum. Looking at this forum felt like forbidden fruit to me. You know, kind of like looking at Playboy Magazine had felt many years earlier, if you know what I mean.

I have worn my Tudor pretty much every day for the last four years. I couldn't have made a better choice for me. For me, it is a modern tool watch and evokes previous generations of Rolex Submariners. It is tremendously meaningful to me. I view it as a visible trophy for the 40 years of hard work that it took to put me in a position to get it. In the olden days, companies would commonly reward their employees with a gold watch as they retired. While that is now certainly out of fashion today, it was the money that they paid me that allowed me to get this retirement reward.

I love it a lot. I recently checked the power reserve, and it is still strong. It has an in-house Rolex/Tudor movement and is extremely accurate. I feel the movement is its beating heart that gets its life on my wrist.

I still enjoy this forum and enjoy looking at watches and learning about them. I recently got into leather jackets and was surprised to find a couple of prominent members I recognized on a notable leather jacket lounge forum!!!

Anyway, thanks to Kiddodoc for the inspiration. This forum is about a lot more than just buying and selling. It's about the life we lead as we wear the watches that have so much meaning to us.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
Doug5551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2024, 09:14 AM   #2
Rentalcarman
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: None at the moment
What a great story. This forum is filled with of great information, encouragement and the occasional troll. But we all have some event that started us on our watch journey. They are all unique and some are more interesting or exciting than others.

There are some cool threads like “show us your steering wheel and watch” or “what do you drink with your Rolex”. Maybe you could start one about leather jackets and watches.

Best wishes to you and continue to wear your watch in good health

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 17 June 2024, 12:27 AM   #3
train-time
"TRF" Member

Kiddodoc's journey and collection are definately an inspiration to us all. Enjoy and be safe and healthy!
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2024, 01:54 AM   #4
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
Great story and thanks for sharing!
~JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2024, 02:16 AM   #5
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~JJ View Post
Great story and thanks for sharing!
+1.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41Mint Green
Robf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2024, 09:51 AM   #6
Doug5551
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentalcarman View Post
What a great story. This forum is filled with of great information, encouragement and the occasional troll. But we all have some event that started us on our watch journey. They are all unique and some are more interesting or exciting than others.

There are some cool threads like “show us your steering wheel and watch” or “what do you drink with your Rolex”. Maybe you could start one about leather jackets and watches.

Best wishes to you and continue to wear your watch in good health

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great suggestion!!! Thanks for your comment.

I will start a new post in off topic and bump a thread about attire in this section!!!
Doug5551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2024, 10:00 AM   #7
Brich436
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124270
Jinx on your thread title - I just posted a similar one..... Ha!

TUDOR: M79030-B Black Bay 58
Brich436 is online now   Reply With Quote