The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 31 October 2016, 04:24 PM   #1
stanima
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II SS/Gold
GMT II accuracy

I sent my GMT away for service to one of the well known watch repair pros recommended on this forum back at the beginning of the year. Received it back less than 3 weeks later. Standard service including a new inspiring and seals.

Unfortunately it was still keeping bad time, like losing 20 to 40 seconds a day.

After discussing it with the service person I sent it back. It was over 6 weeks before it was sent back to me, supposedly a problem had been found that was fixed now.

It wasn't, but I figured I was happier with a watch on my arm keeping poor time than without.

I finally found a pattern. If I manually wind the watch each day it is gaining 2 to 3 seconds. If I only wear it and rely on the self winder it starts slowing down, 2 days later it is losing 25 or more seconds a day.

So I am wondering if the mainspring is faulty, or a regulator on it is not doing it's job. I don't understand how the watch is powered except in a most rudimentary way, but if the watch runs faster when the spring is under more tension something is wrong with regulation. Seems like a reasonable theory, but one that shouldn't be happening with a Rolex.

Anyone think that's maybe the problem? And maybe try sending it to someone else?

Mark
stanima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2016, 06:12 PM   #2
MikeMc
"TRF" Member

Watch: own 18 watches
There are two possibilities. One, you may not be active enough to keep the mainspring wound. Two, there is a problem with the winding mechanism. Assuming your watch was competently serviced, it may be the first. We have a machine that tests the winding efficiency of the watch. I would ask the servicer if they tested it when it was last in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MikeMc is offline   Reply With Quote