The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 10 October 2019, 06:43 AM   #1
italiafan
"TRF" Member

Newbie question about 5205G

Hi all,

I am new here and love Patek (I recognize a couple of you though from FerrariChat). I currently have a 5726-1a (white dial) and adore it. I have lusted after a 5205 for years, love its class and AC complication, and think it would be great as an addition to my sport watch in a slowly growing collection.

I prefer to buy items like this directly from an AD, so that I am the original owner...hard to explain but to me has more “purity” to it.

I have sourced a 5205G from an AD I have yet to purchase from (no relationship) at list price...$49.8K.

Does that seem reasonable to you more experienced purchasers?

I love the watch..plan is to keep it forever.

Thanks much!
italiafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2019, 07:03 AM   #2
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

I would ask for 10% and see where it gets you (assuming blue dial). For comparison, watchbox has a pre-owned for $45k, but your $50k is before taxes I assume. If AD is firm and this is for sure a keeper for life and you want your name on the papers, and you are looking to build a relationship w this AD, then only you can decide if MSRP + tax is worth it for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2019, 07:11 AM   #3
italiafan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
I would ask for 10% and see where it gets you (assuming blue dial). For comparison, watchbox has a pre-owned for $45k, but your $50k is before taxes I assume. If AD is firm and this is for sure a keeper for life and you want your name on the papers, and you are looking to build a relationship w this AD, then only you can decide if MSRP + tax is worth it for you.

Thank you.
Sounds as though my approach isn’t “crazy” then. Yes, would like to build relationship since they are now my closest Patek AD at about 1 hr 45 min drive away. Local AD lost Patek status (not sure what they did, but never impressed by their service when in store).
Old 10 October 2019, 07:14 AM   #4
GSDLover
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5205r-010
What color dial?
GSDLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2019, 07:21 AM   #5
italiafan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDLover View Post
What color dial?
5205G is the blue dial, “grey” gold case.
Old 10 October 2019, 07:22 AM   #6
italiafan
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thank you.
Yes, trying to build relationship with new AD.
Old 10 October 2019, 07:22 AM   #7
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:

I’d ask for a discount or to be put on the wait list for a hot item.
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2019, 07:31 AM   #8
italiafan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
I’d ask for a discount or to be put on the wait list for a hot item.
Appreciate that, thanks.
Love the 5205G, and will also be asking to wait list for 5711 blue dial...years, I know.
Old 10 October 2019, 07:38 AM   #9
d11n
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat_ninja View Post
i’d ask for a discount or to be put on the wait list for a hot item.
+1
d11n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2019, 08:46 AM   #10
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I would DEMAND a hat.

That's a nice piece! If you're a "keep it forever" guy and someone who values their name on the card, which you say you do, get it from the AD one way or the other.
Old 10 October 2019, 09:20 AM   #11
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
I bought the same gorgeous piece from my AD at 5% off in April this year before the price increase. The other AD offered the same watch at 3% off and said that's the best they can do. Hence I went with the 5%. It was not a bundling as I really like that watch. Hope you get yours at an ideal price, OP.

Here is a minor enabling effort:
IMG_10102019_070628_(850_x_1000_pixel).jpg
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2019, 09:27 AM   #12
jag32
Banned

Watch: PP/AP/BP/UN
DavidSW, Takuya, and other highly reputable grays are selling this exact watch in the high 30s, typically 37-38k in like new condition full set. This is not a Patek that holds value and for that reason would never buy it at nearly $55k with tax. You will be paying an almost $20k premium to go through your AD and in today’s market with just one single purchase this will not get you any favorable position on a waitlist for a Nautilus...you will be at the 5 year mark minimum and still get passed over by the heavy hitters unless you’re buying watches in the 50k range every 6-12 months. When you get the watch from a gray like DavidSW you can just register it in your name on the Patek website and no purity is lost.
jag32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2019, 09:40 AM   #13
GSDLover
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5205r-010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jag32 View Post
DavidSW, Takuya, and other highly reputable grays are selling this exact watch in the high 30s, typically 37-38k in like new condition full set. This is not a Patek that holds value and for that reason would never buy it at nearly $55k with tax. You will be paying an almost $20k premium to go through your AD and in today’s market with just one single purchase this will not get you any favorable position on a waitlist for a Nautilus...you will be at the 5 year mark minimum and still get passed over by the heavy hitters unless you’re buying watches in the 50k range every 6-12 months. When you get the watch from a gray like DavidSW you can just register it in your name on the Patek website and no purity is lost.
I would strongly consider this if i were you.
GSDLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2019, 09:49 AM   #14
italiafan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
I bought the same gorgeous piece from my AD at 5% off in April this year before the price increase. The other AD offered the same watch at 3% off and said that's the best they can do. Hence I went with the 5%. It was not a bundling as I really like that watch. Hope you get yours at an ideal price, OP.

Attachment 1076870
Such a beautiful watch!
Old 10 October 2019, 09:51 AM   #15
jag32
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDLover View Post
I would strongly consider this if i were you.
Yes. This is not some ultra rare Patek collectible waitlist piece. There are 126 of the 5205’s on chrono24 right now....one hundred and twenty six! And of those, 27 are at or under 35k and they are all 5205G, some are even brand new unworn. The 5205G doesn’t hold even a single penny in value. And there are probably another hundred for sale elsewhere on the internet. Seriously, don’t throw your money into the gutter and donate $20k to an AD in the name of a relationship. There is nothing more superficial, transactional, and fake than these so called “relationships” with ADs. Don’t waste your money. Buy the 5205G gray and then turn around and also buy a 5196R gray and you’ll still be a few thousand under what you would have donated to an AD. For a piece like this, it’s a huge mistake going through an AD. There are more expensive grand comps that hold their values well and you can get with little to no wait at an AD that will help you better for a Nautilus, but the 5205G is absolutely not one of them.

WDIT: I just looked and there are 15 BRAND NEW 5205G’s on chrono24 for under $40k and five of these brand new 5205G’s are under 35k! Don’t throw your money away my brother.
Old 10 October 2019, 09:54 AM   #16
italiafan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks.
Starting to “mess with my head,” you’ve given me pause for thought.
I still like being the “original owner.” Not quite the same as speccing a Ferrari to your exact tastes knowing the car is being built in your name, but about as close as I can get in the Patek world emulating that feeling.
Plan is to keep forever, pass on to my sons...(2 sons—2 Pateks. :))
Old 10 October 2019, 10:04 AM   #17
italiafan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes. This is not some ultra rare Patek collectible waitlist piece. There are 126 of the 5205’s on chrono24 right now....one hundred and twenty six! And of those, 27 are at or under 35k and they are all 5205G, some are even brand new unworn. The 5205G doesn’t hold even a single penny in value. And there are probably another hundred for sale elsewhere on the internet. Seriously, don’t throw your money into the gutter and donate $20k to an AD in the name of a relationship. There is nothing more superficial, transactional, and fake than these so called “relationships” with ADs. Don’t waste your money. Buy the 5205G gray and then turn around and also buy a 5196R gray and you’ll still be a few thousand under what you would have donated to an AD. For a piece like this, it’s a huge mistake going through an AD. There are more expensive grand comps that hold their values well and you can get with little to no wait at an AD that will help you better for a Nautilus, but the 5205G is absolutely not one of them.

WDIT: I just looked and there are 15 BRAND NEW 5205G’s on chrono24 for under $40k and five of these brand new 5205G’s are under 35k! Don’t throw your money away my brother.
Just went on that site, searched 5205G which brings up many 5205s which are not blue dial. Limit search to USA and get exactly 8 blue dial 5205Gs each priced (asking of course) $46-48K, one lower as private seller.
Think I’ll stick with my plan.
Old 10 October 2019, 10:05 AM   #18
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiafan View Post
Such a beautiful watch!
Thanks.

I bought all my watches from AD directly, and with that relationship, I can ask for pieces like 5711 and 5712 at MSRP. Ideally I should be buying all the dress watches from greys and sport watches from AD to maximize my dollars, but it doesn't work that way.

I also understand some like me prefer to have their names on the Certificate of Origin. Do decide which route works for you best. Good luck!
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2019, 08:29 PM   #19
italiafan
"TRF" Member

I should have qualified my previous statements with I am only interested in the 5205G-013 Blue Sunburst dial introduced at Baselworld 2018.

Thanks all for your input!
Old 10 October 2019, 10:17 PM   #20
jag32
Banned

Quote:
I should have qualified my previous statements with I am only interested in the 5205G-013 Blue Sunburst dial introduced at Baselworld 2018.

Thanks all for your input!
There are 27 of the 5205G-013 for sale right now on chrono24 with some available brand new for only $38k. Save your money from the AD.
Old 10 October 2019, 11:30 PM   #21
italiafan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
There are 27 of the 5205G-013 for sale right now on chrono24 with some available brand new for only $38k. Save your money from the AD.
I very much appreciate your input, really I do.
However, just for the other readers out there...again...I just this minute logged on to Chrono24 and indeed found the "27" watches you describe.
I have no interest in purchasing a watch from Arab Emirates or Hong Kong, or anywhere outside of the USA for that matter.
If you then limit it to USA there are exactly 8 watches listed for sale (in thousands):
1. $49.9
2. $42.9
3. $48
4. $49
5. $48
6. $46.7
7. Price on request
8. $38 by a private seller...states condition as "unworn" but then in descriptive paragraph mentions "only worn a few times."

If one then looks at all 27 listed around the world the average asking price is $45.3K, including that one solitary low-ball private seller at $38K.
Old 11 October 2019, 12:07 AM   #22
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Very good advice.
Vipes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2019, 03:36 AM   #23
B01fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I very much appreciate your input, really I do.
However, just for the other readers out there...again...I just this minute logged on to Chrono24 and indeed found the "27" watches you describe.
I have no interest in purchasing a watch from Arab Emirates or Hong Kong, or anywhere outside of the USA for that matter.
If you then limit it to USA there are exactly 8 watches listed for sale (in thousands):
1. $49.9
2. $42.9
3. $48
4. $49
5. $48
6. $46.7
7. Price on request
8. $38 by a private seller...states condition as "unworn" but then in descriptive paragraph mentions "only worn a few times."

If one then looks at all 27 listed around the world the average asking price is $45.3K, including that one solitary low-ball private seller at $38K.
DavidSW sold one within the past week that was listed at approximately $38k.
B01fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2019, 04:53 AM   #24
golfski
"TRF" Member

Watch: me whip & nay nay
I echo the going grey on this. I picked up my 5524G from a private seller on TRF and got it way under list price, and it was brand spanking new (unworn from 2017). I actually had to import it and will end up paying duties, and it is still way cheaper than the AD.

Not to mention, it won't do that much for you in way of a relationship, unless the AD is moving nothing and needs the sale (doubtful). Yes, my name is not on the paper, but if that person ends up being famous (or infamous), I've got a special pick up. If not, well then there is just some other dudes name on the paper. I care most about unworn, not as much as whose name is on the paper.

I agree on not buying from some places, but to be honest, if you are on C24 you should have almost no risk if using Trusted checkout - just take into account import costs. I actually like that my watch has been sitting in a safe in Switzerland for the past 2 years waiting for me to wear it, lol
golfski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2019, 07:20 AM   #25
ade
"TRF" Member

Watch: depends on my mood
Quote:
I have lusted after a 5205 for years, love its class and AC complication, and think it would be great as an addition to my sport watch in a slowly growing collection.

I prefer to buy items like this directly from an AD, so that I am the original owner...hard to explain but to me has more “purity” to it.
On this, buy new from an AD and have no regrets or doubts on the provenance of the piece you are buying - not just for you, but for your son.
Over a lifetime of wear, the overall cost savings is irrelevant. It is an expensive investment to begin with, and cheaping out with the knowledge it has been worn and owned by someone else is not worth it. Your son will appreciate and value it more if your name is on the original owners certificate too.
ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2019, 07:29 AM   #26
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post

Attachment 1076870
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2019, 08:19 AM   #27
MadSpaniard
"TRF" Member

I'm a happy owner of the 5205R-001, in my eyes it's drop-dead good looking, classic lineage with a modern, forward-looking touch, plenty of gravitas and substance without being overbearing, timeless elegance for the modern age. I highly recommend it.

The 5205G with the bue dial is also great - @Ichiran's picture posted above offers testament to that.

I think much of the very soft pricing often mentioned in Chrono24 is primarily for the early versions of the 5205, i.e. the two-tone dials in light/dark gray. Those haven't held value nearly well as the later versions in opaline white, black or the new blue dial. I think you'll find a clear difference in resale price between those earlier dials and the later ones.

As for discount on new units from AD, the glory days of steep discounts are gone. As others have mentioned, expect a very modest discount. Also note that the 5205 got a price increase earlier this year, and many of the resale units you'll see out there were acquired before the increase. So the relative value decline on those vs. their original purchase price is less than when measured against current msrp.

Good luck making a decision, and don't let the nautilus die-hards influence your taste and sense of aesthetics :-). Get what you like, and enjoy the hell out of it.

MadSpaniard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2019, 08:32 AM   #28
vtsyrlin
"TRF" Member

Little enabling goes a long way.
Just got mine and absolutely love it. Also ordered a deployant clasp on a blue croc strap.

vtsyrlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2019, 09:52 AM   #29
italiafan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadSpaniard View Post
I'm a happy owner of the 5205R-001, in my eyes it's drop-dead good looking, classic lineage with a modern, forward-looking touch, plenty of gravitas and substance without being overbearing, timeless elegance for the modern age. I highly recommend it.

The 5205G with the bue dial is also great - @Ichiran's picture posted above offers testament to that.

I think much of the very soft pricing often mentioned in Chrono24 is primarily for the early versions of the 5205, i.e. the two-tone dials in light/dark gray. Those haven't held value nearly well as the later versions in opaline white, black or the new blue dial. I think you'll find a clear difference in resale price between those earlier dials and the later ones.

As for discount on new units from AD, the glory days of steep discounts are gone. As others have mentioned, expect a very modest discount. Also note that the 5205 got a price increase earlier this year, and many of the resale units you'll see out there were acquired before the increase. So the relative value decline on those vs. their original purchase price is less than when measured against current msrp.

Good luck making a decision, and don't let the nautilus die-hards influence your taste and sense of aesthetics :-). Get what you like, and enjoy the hell out of it.

Beautiful! And thanks for your thoughts.
Old 11 October 2019, 09:53 AM   #30
italiafan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtsyrlin View Post
Little enabling goes a long way.
Just got mine and absolutely love it. Also ordered a deployant clasp on a blue croc strap.

Beautiful!
I have decided to go forward, picking up watch on Sunday.