The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Pens & Writing Instruments

Old 30 November 2016, 06:54 AM   #1
Juantxo
Banned

does size matters to you...?

I'm in the process of ordering a Nakaya and I'm rather perplexed with the very thin nibs and long barrels. I think I've mentioned too many times before that my favorite size pen is the Pelikan 600. And I'm fine with a Fine or Medium Pelikan nib.

So how do I turn those dimensions into a Nakaya I'd like...? Oddly enough the good people at Nakaya are suggesting a Portable with Medium nib. I'm thinking a Piccolo with Broad stub.

I understand that there is a tendency among hard-core aficionados towards favoring the larger pens: i.e. Pelikan 800 and 1000. But I feel uncomfortable with such large pens, especially if I must clip it to my shirt pocket.

By the way, I'm 5'10" with normal size hands.

I'll greatly appreciate your views and suggestions regarding this matter. Thank you.
Juantxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2016, 08:49 AM   #2
jar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Samsung Gear S3
Well I just sold all my newer style Pelikan 600s and only one older style Pelikan 600 left. It's the same size as the M200 & M400 so if you want I can take some pictures of the Portable and Piccolo next to the M 600 for you. But you gotta wait until the sun comes up tomorrow. I also still have an 800 I could include in the pictures.
jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2016, 09:39 AM   #3
Juantxo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar View Post
Well I just sold all my newer style Pelikan 600s and only one older style Pelikan 600 left. It's the same size as the M200 & M400 so if you want I can take some pictures of the Portable and Piccolo next to the M 600 for you. But you gotta wait until the sun comes up tomorrow. I also still have an 800 I could include in the pictures.
Thank you so much. I shall appreciate it very much.
Old 30 November 2016, 04:28 PM   #4
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Omega,Seiko
I have to say I prefer a larger section myself. I'm 5' 10" as well and wear a medium glove. The Omas paragons are great for me in this regard. They're reasonably light as well. Sometimes I find myself pressing my pointer finger a little over the end of the section with number 6 nibs. For some reason this is just a rewarding writing experience. Can't do that with my smaller #5 nibs. Good luck with your Nakaya purchase! One day I'll pull the trigger on a Naka-ai writer with an italic nib. The question is.......gold fish or maple leaves on your converter???
Day-Date President, Datejust (flipped), Bluesy 16613, Omega 14kt Seamaster, Seiko Cocktail Time, Seiko Alpinist, REC 901-2 (Porsche 911), REC TTT Escape (Steve McQueen Triumph). A few Bulovas, cars, and fountain pens
Formulansx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2016, 12:10 AM   #5
Juantxo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulansx View Post
I have to say I prefer a larger section myself. I'm 5' 10" as well and wear a medium glove. The Omas paragons are great for me in this regard. They're reasonably light as well. Sometimes I find myself pressing my pointer finger a little over the end of the section with number 6 nibs. For some reason this is just a rewarding writing experience. Can't do that with my smaller #5 nibs. Good luck with your Nakaya purchase! One day I'll pull the trigger on a Naka-ai writer with an italic nib. The question is.......gold fish or maple leaves on your converter???
Gold fish. I'm a fisherman.
Old 1 December 2016, 01:49 AM   #6
jar
"TRF" Member

Okay, some PRON.

From left to right: Old Style Pelikan M600, Nakaya Piccolo, two chick Pelikan 800, Nakaya Portable, Nakaya Neo-Standard;

Note the wider and longer section on the Piccolo compared to the M600 and M800. That makes it far more comfortable to use over extended periods. I'm 5' 10" and the Piccolo sits comfortably with the butt against the webbing between thumb and first finger.
Old 1 December 2016, 02:59 AM   #7
Juantxo
Banned

Quote:
Okay, some PRON.

From left to right: Old Style Pelikan M600, Nakaya Piccolo, two chick Pelikan 800, Nakaya Portable, Nakaya Neo-Standard;

Note the wider and longer section on the Piccolo compared to the M600 and M800. That makes it far more comfortable to use over extended periods. I'm 5' 10" and the Piccolo sits comfortably with the butt against the webbing between thumb and first finger.
Amazing...!!! Thank you, so much, Sensei. Indeed, the section on the Nakaya also looks more comfortable than on both Pelikan. And the Piccolo remains the size to place in your shirt pocket.

I believe I'll start with a Piccolo and eventually capture a Portable or a Mottishaw for kicks.

Again, thank you so much...!!!!!

PS- I must point out that those Pelikan look fantastic even in such highfalutin company. I heart Pelikan.
Old 1 December 2016, 03:38 AM   #8
jar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juantxo View Post
Amazing...!!! Thank you, so much, Sensei. Indeed, the section on the Nakaya also looks more comfortable than on both Pelikan. And the Piccolo remains the size to place in your shirt pocket.

I believe I'll start with a Piccolo and eventually capture a Portable or a Mottishaw for kicks.

Again, thank you so much...!!!!!

PS- I must point out that those Pelikan look fantastic even in such highfalutin company. I heart Pelikan.
Just sold a Pelikan 1050 and also a Mottishaw Blue M600 CI. The M800 is listed for sale now IIRC.
Old 1 December 2016, 04:16 AM   #9
Juantxo
Banned

Quote:
Just sold a Pelikan 1050 and also a Mottishaw Blue M600 CI. The M800 is listed for sale now IIRC.
Where do you list the pens you sell...?
Old 1 December 2016, 04:56 AM   #10
jar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Where do you list the pens you sell...?
Often on my website but also at FPN and FPGeeks. A few even on eBay under seller sig_230.
Old 1 December 2016, 04:59 AM   #11
Juantxo
Banned

Quote:
Often on my website but also at FPN and FPGeeks. A few even on eBay under seller sig_230.
Where is your website, Jim...? Thank you.

The 230 is a nice one. I don't think they make it anymore. Sad if they don't.
Old 1 December 2016, 05:07 AM   #12
jar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Where is your website, Jim...? Thank you.

The 230 is a nice one. I don't think they make it anymore. Sad if they don't.
Yea, the 230 is the only one from that maker I kept. try JimRichardson.org
Old 1 December 2016, 05:21 AM   #13
Juantxo
Banned

Quote:
Yea, the 230 is the only one from that maker I kept. try JimRichardson.org
Thank you, Jim. Going there...
Old 1 December 2016, 08:29 AM   #14
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
Nakaya FPs are a perfect combination of design and proportions.

I would not ever worry about acquiring a Nakaya on any level!!!
Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote