The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Pens & Writing Instruments

Old 24 March 2010, 04:29 PM   #1
JimC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Icon11 It's a sad day...

For several years I have been quite satisfied with the Moleskine notebooks. My pen of choice for a daily writer, taking several pages of notes a day, is one of several "old" Pilot Capless pens (with a Namiki or two thrown in for good measure.) I really like the fine Japanese nibs, which I have stated previously suit my writing style (printing; rather small) very well. Using Pilot/Namiki cartridges (blue, blue-black, and red) or Namiki Blue bottled ink, I've never had the problem with the Moleskine paper.

Then Clairefontaine came along. (Thank you, Ian!) I found that my pens and the couple of inks I regularly use wrote totally different on this paper. Not only "different" but most times significantly "better." Some "new" inks (Noodler's/Swisher inks) worked very well, too.

So the quest was on. There are no vendors here, but I found (or stumbled upon) sources for different notebooks (or notepads) that use Clairefontaine papers.

I ended up with a few Rhodia notepads, and a No. 19 yellow "legal pad", too. I purchased a Rhodia "webbie" (Webnotebook) that most closely (IMHO) competes with the Moleskine. There were some Exacompta Inuksuk notebooks with a leather cover, thrown in as well.

These were all "tested" against my Moleskine notebook and pocket cahiers. I used 12 different pens which included a Levenger True Writer (F), Pelikan Demonstrator (F), Parker Insignia IIP (F), Pilot Capless (14K F), Namiki Capless (18K F), Sailor Trident 767, Sailor Magna L (EF), PIlot Volex (F), Recife Riviera (F), Sheaffer Snorkel Clipper (F), Pilot Elite (18K F), and Parker 51 (F). Inks ranged from Pilot/Namiki Blue, Blue-Black (cartridge), Sailor black (cartridge), Waterman Blue, Waterman Red, Noodler's/Swisher Gulf Stream Blue (waterproof), and Noodler's/Swisher Glacier Blue (75% waterproof.)

There were so many different combinations. I won't bore with details (more than I've already done) but much to my dismay, the Moleskine notebook fared the worst. With one pen/ink combo, it worked great (as it has in the past.) But when I tried different pens and new inks the Moleskine failed miserably. For example, my daily writer was broad, wet, feathered, and even had a bit of bleed through with the Noodler's/Swisher Gulf Stream Blue "waterproof" ink. Even worse, it takes tens of minutes to dry before it will not smear; I don't have that issue with any other paper.

In almost every single case, the other notebooks and notepads beat the Moleskine. In only one case, the Pilot Capless 14K F, with Pilot/Namiki cartridges or Namiki Blue in the bottle, did the Moleskine notebook do well. To be fair, the pocket cahier did more than measurably better with each pen/ink combination. At best, there was some minor feathering and very light echo with the pocket cahier. Upon close inspection, the paper was noticeably different in the tested pocket cahier, versus a much "smoother" paper in the notebook. I don't know if they intended to use a different paper in each, or if this is a good example of the variance in manufacturing others have pointed out.

In the end, I was quite surprised. In the end, I was quite disappointed in Moleskine. The Webbie is more expensive, but it works well with my writing style and the various pen and ink combinations *I* might throw at it. The size is very similar to the Moleskine, although I don't like the larger rule and less available pages per book. The Exacompta are nice, but the form factor is quite a bit larger. The Clairefontaine (that Ian provided) is the right size, but I have yet to find a source online for those soft cover books.

So, a rambling look at my experience with different books / papers. More so, a different look with pen and ink combinations which I haven't tried before. I still like Moleskine, but have to admit I need to think "outside the box". I'm on the final few pages of my Moleskine notebook, and fear this really may be the last one.

16610 Sub (Z serial)
16710 GMT-Master II (Coke and Pepsi) (Z serial)
16570 Explorer II (White) (F serial)
116660 Deepsea (V serial)
79270 Tudor Tiger Chrono (red dial)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2010, 05:48 PM   #2
gelshocker

I think it's a good day in that you've discovered an alternative. I use Moleskine too and the bleeding through and feathering occurs quite frequent with my Pelikan M800. The Waterman Charleston not that bad though. Cheers,
gelshocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2010, 12:03 AM   #3
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
Jim, it just goes to show us that there are other possibilities and choices out there for the taking. I'm glad you have found a new favorite notebook but you might just want to keep a Moleskine in reserve/just in case!!!

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2010, 12:21 AM   #4
shandy
Banned

Jim.

I knid of feel bad in a way sending you the clairefontaine as I thought your experience would echo mine!

It is fine if one sticks to one pen and one ink that works with the moleskine paper but to be honest it is not right that it should be that way. A journal that is designed to be written in should be able to handle pretty much any sort of pen out there!

What I am most suprised to learn is that with fine point pens it still feathers and bleeds! I can understand a broader wet nib but then again no. The clairefontaine can even handle my double broad uber wet Nakaya with no bleedthrough, no feathering. Considering the premium that Moleskine charges (here in Canada the similar sized journals are $21 for moleskine and $11 for clairefontaine) one would rightly expect their paper to be superior. Note as well that clairefontaine paper is made in France with higher production costs whereas moleskine is made in China with lower production costs!

One can only come to the conclusion that sadly moleskine is going the way of many designer brands of clothing who have shipped manufacture to China, quallity has gone down and yet prices are maintained. I have no problem with things made in China (I own three chinese made watches and they are wonderful!) but I do have a problem with companies reducing quality at the expense of the consumer!

I am really sorry though as I love Moleskine, I really do, I love the colour of their paper the feel of their hard bound journal. I wish clairefontain would make their paper creamy in colour and narrower lines but that is minor when I know I can use my journal with any ink, any pen and get consistantly great results!

It looks like you as well as me Jim use our journals for work purposes as well as pleasure, we need something we can rely on to do the job!

Here are two links where you can get the one I sent you online, Also note that they do a larger A4 size which I use as I write so much daily!

Here is an excellent Canadian company, prices are a bit higher but they are great to deal with and have a great selection!
http://www.stylusfinepens.com/notebo...lairefontaine/

And one in the States.(if you scroll down 3/4 of the page you will see the basic journals like you have, in Canada they are called aged bag!) They seem to be out of stock at the moment though, might be worth shooting them an email to see when they have new stock in, prices are great!
http://www.pendemonium.com/index.htm

Hope that helps Jim and I will keep an eye out for more US based sellers for you.
shandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2010, 12:26 AM   #5
Numismatist
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
Question: I have never thought of this, but now wonder. Could the humidity or dryness in the air or residual humidity/dryness in the paper produce markedly different results for different people with same pen and paper?
Montblanc Meisterstück Diamond Mozart BP
Montblanc Meisterstück Mozart BP
Numismatist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2010, 12:30 AM   #6
shandy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numismatist View Post
Question: I have never thought of this, but now wonder. Could the humidity or dryness in the air or residual humidity/dryness in the paper produce markedly different results for different people with same pen and paper?
That's a good point Chris. My experience of using the journals in different areas here in BC is consistant. I have used them in the Okenagon in the summer (think in land southern California type of thing, dry and hot. and here on the Wet Coast where there is more humidity all year round. I must admit with those comparisons the only think I have noticed is that the ink dries quicker in the okenagon due to the dry heat I guess, feathering still happend though with the moleskine.

It would be interesting to hear from someone in the States who has had experience say in both Alabama in the summer and Arizona.
shandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2010, 01:02 AM   #7
JBat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16610, DJ
That's a great report, Jim, but I agree with gelshocker, it's a good day considering what you've discovered. I think it's my turn to do the same and locate some webbies filled with Clairefontaine paper. I love the Moleskine's for a lot of reasons, but where it counts the most, the paper, I can't use my MB due to bleeding and feather issues.
JBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2010, 01:05 AM   #8
JBat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16610, DJ
To add, I'll probably continue to use the Moleskine for my work journal since I don't use a FP there, just a Pilot Gel, a pen I also love and one of the best "cheapies" out there (IMO). The squared pages of the MS are perfect for my work application.
JBat is offline   Reply With Quote