The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 1 November 2009, 07:21 AM   #1
Deputydog
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Callin any Californians

Hey, guys really would like some input on California my wife and i are visiting Cali on Nov 16th to Nov 23rd. We will be somewhere in the area of Orange county and Anaheim and also Corona. We are visiting due to my wife's company offered her a job in their corporate office and want us to check out the area. It would be a big change for us going from the country of tn to california but my big question is HOW MUCH IS IT GOING TO PAY. If two people could make say $120,000 is a pretty decent salary there or just average. I know it's not much for two people but we all can't make millions. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Deputydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2009, 07:44 AM   #2
Browining
"TRF" Member

Pretty hard to say what type of life style 120K will provide you. Too many variables. If you have kids or other large capital expenses, do you want to rent or own, are you selling a house and have a large chunk of equity to put down on a house if you intend to buy. My guess is 120K will be roughly "middle class"(low to high middle depending on the area) in the areas you mention. Good luck wish I was more help.

Browining
Browining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2009, 07:44 AM   #3
Joey_V
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub 16610 M
I've been to California and 120k as a couple will allow you to live comfortably but wihout luxury. Cars will be cheaper ones, the condo will be small. But you will be comfortable.

That said, my fiancé and I combine currently at about 150k and we can live quite comfortably in Chicago as new up and comers (Lexus, Infiniti as cars and a 1300 1br apt). When I finish residency, I expect (conservatively) a combined total nearing 350-400k.

With that said, I am not moving to Cali because I can live a lot more comfortably if I stay in the Midwest than if I went to the west coast.

So, the question you have to answer is whether you will be comfortable "enough" in Cali if you take a hit in your overall lifestyle.

That said, Cali is a hip place so even if you go down in personal comfort, you may make up in public amenities.

Current Rotation: Rolex Submariner Date (M) - 1/08, Rolex Milgauss GV (V) - 2/10, Rolex SS Black Daytona (V) - 6/10, Rolex GMTIIC (G) - 5/11, TAG Heuer Silverstone (286/1860) - 1/2015
Former-watches: Omega PO/2535.80/2254, TAG Carrera/F1x2/Monaco, Panerai 312K/292L
Wish List: Panerai 270/505, Rolex SMURF, Rolex RG Daytona, Rolex DSSD
Joey_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2009, 08:37 AM   #4
iSellJerseyShore
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-Master IIc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browining View Post
Pretty hard to say what type of life style 120K will provide you. Too many variables. If you have kids or other large capital expenses, do you want to rent or own, are you selling a house and have a large chunk of equity to put down on a house if you intend to buy. My guess is 120K will be roughly "middle class"(low to high middle depending on the area) in the areas you mention. Good luck wish I was more help.

Browining

I agree, there are many variables that come into play here. $120K for one person, while another it might be enough to just scrape by. We would require more insight to your personal lifestyle and financial health. Variables of which you might not want to post on an open forum, but rather consult with a financial expert.

-Frankie
iSellJerseyShore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2009, 09:14 AM   #5
Deputydog
"TRF" Member

Our lifestyle is not high maintenance. I don't need anything high end except my watch and i do like nice clothes like ralph lauren or lacoste no $3000 suits for me. We don't have kids our debt isn't to bad. All combined debt is probably guessing $120k house,ccs,cars and everyday living. I would like to live comfortabely and i mean if we want to go out well we go out or purchase some new clothes or maybe a new rollie. Vehicles we own a 03 lincoln ls and 04 z71 tahoe,of course we are looking at maybe a BMW 3series what my wife likes so this give everybody a idea of my living. My fear is the HOUSING i know it's exspensive there.
Old 1 November 2009, 11:33 AM   #6
looking to buy
"TRF" Member

Here are some things to consider when moving to California. The top state marginal income tax rate is around 9.4 to 9.7%. Starting this year there is a surcharge on the taxes, so you pay taxes on taxes. If you buy a home, your property tax is 1% of sales price plus bonded indebtedness. So it comes out to around 1.2% of the sales price. It goes up slowly each year. Sales taxes are around 8% and up depending on the county you live in. Orange County is not cheap. The state is starting a new program next year where they will actively seek out all internet purchases you make and if you do not pay CA sales tax on them, then you have to pay an equivalent "use tax" to the state. Always been the law, but now they intend to collect.

So, the tax problem and anti business climate are a minus. Along with the fact that the state is broke.

On the plus side, you will have the ocean, mountains, and desert all within 2 hours of each other. Year 'round weather is fantastic. Close drive to Vegas if you are into that. Lots of camping, and backpacking and boating opportunities. Home prices have dropped considerable so this could be a good time to buy. Some homes are 30% to 50% down from their peaks.

Orange county freeways can be congested so be sure to move where it will be less of a problem.

$120,000 will allow you to live a good middle class life. If you like the area the salary should be plenty to enjoy things.

Hope this helps.
Old 1 November 2009, 03:19 PM   #7
Jet
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD/Sub/GMT/Daytona
Hi Derek,

Anaheim & the OC is a great place to live, but it is also a high cost area. As far as Corona, that it is in the Riverside area & it is relatively cheap to buy a home there, much cheaper than Anaheim, much much cheaper.

Like most have said, it just depends on the type of lifestyle you are accustomed to & your spending habits. As stated, SoCal is close to Vegas. You can go to the beach, hit the mountains, or the desert in just a few hours drive.
Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2009, 04:55 AM   #8
Barracuda
"TRF" Member

Watch: DRSD MKll
Being a born & raised Californian now living in hell, resist all efforts at discouraging you. It's a wonderful place filled with awe. I was born and raised in the OC, raised in the north and finally ending up in the south until recently, where a move to the midwest was in the stars...who just happened to hate me.

As someone else mentioned, you have everything there and no matter how broke the government is, how terrible the housing market is, how horrible business is being treated.....California is still California, beaches 30 minutes away from all parts of the OC, mountains an hour or so, deserts in all their glory an hour and a half.

The OC is NOT a cheap place to live, but with a combined income of 120K and a little tightening here and there...no bloody problem. If you're used to living large on 120K, you'll have to make a few changes. We lived on an income three times that but lived a lifestyle that required the money; home, cars and entertainment. We lived in South OC, where the home prices were pretty high but offered us the beach and solitude compared to North OC...relatively speaking.

Other parts of the OC are cheaper, like Santa Ana, Westminster, Garden Grove, Fullerton, Placentia, Anaheim, Orange (some parts). The north is pretty expensive (Brea, Yorba Linda, Anaheim Hills) La Habra would probably be the cheapest in home prices although its a tad too close to Whittier. (LA County)

San Clemente, Laguna Niquel, Irvine, Lake Forest, Foothill Ranch and all the areas of South OC are really nice, but expensive...and the traffic on the 5/405 is horrendous. There are tolls roads you can use like the 241 that will take you north, but it just dumps onto the 91 in the north and the 5 in the south, both parking lots in the morning and late afternoon....if you're lucky and theres no construction.

But you learn to live with it. The benefits TO ME of living in California far outweigh the disadvantages. 120K isn't that much there, but its doable. You won't be living in Tenn anymore though...you're in for a culture shock.

Good Luck.
Barracuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2009, 05:07 AM   #9
erwin
-

Watch: SD
It depends on how you want to live your life in Los Angeles! If you want to buy a big house and still live comfortably, then Corona would easily provide you with that! But you will be surrounded by Slaughter houses and basically be living in a countryside! Now if you plan to live in the south side of orange county, 125,000 a year with both you and your wife, you would still be able to live a pretty comfy life aside the big house! Maybe a condo near the ocean! Now going up north of orange county is basically almost the same as living in Corona! Not too expensive except when you add "hills" on the county you will be living in! Anaheim is pretty much cheaper compared to Anaheim Hills! I recommend Chino Hills which is about 15 miles west of Corona! It is good to take advantage while the place is developing and some decent houses are still pretty much affordable!
Old 2 November 2009, 08:55 AM   #10
Joey_V
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub 16610 M
I think the bottom line is that you will live in a smaller place, tighten up a bit than you're used to (including maybe not getting that new 3 series you mentioned you were looking at), and be able to live comfortably.

Good luck, bud.

Current Rotation: Rolex Submariner Date (M) - 1/08, Rolex Milgauss GV (V) - 2/10, Rolex SS Black Daytona (V) - 6/10, Rolex GMTIIC (G) - 5/11, TAG Heuer Silverstone (286/1860) - 1/2015
Former-watches: Omega PO/2535.80/2254, TAG Carrera/F1x2/Monaco, Panerai 312K/292L
Wish List: Panerai 270/505, Rolex SMURF, Rolex RG Daytona, Rolex DSSD
Joey_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2009, 10:30 AM   #11
AIKO
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputydog View Post
Hey, guys really would like some input on California my wife and i are visiting Cali on Nov 16th to Nov 23rd. We will be somewhere in the area of Orange county and Anaheim and also Corona. We are visiting due to my wife's company offered her a job in their corporate office and want us to check out the area. It would be a big change for us going from the country of tn to california but my big question is HOW MUCH IS IT GOING TO PAY. If two people could make say $120,000 is a pretty decent salary there or just average. I know it's not much for two people but we all can't make millions. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
All my family lives in the LA area. I was SHOCKED at housing prices. Not too familiar with OC more with the Santa Monica, Westwood areas. Get ready for some traffic. :-)
AIKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2009, 11:22 AM   #12
HYDROMAROC
"TRF" Member

Watch: me pass...
Don't move here... We don't need any more people....
HYDROMAROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2009, 11:59 AM   #13
Deputydog
"TRF" Member

Barracuda u are the second person to tell me about the culture shock. As far as big houses we don't want one just something nice and comfortable for two adults no kids. If we do move we have decide to rent a place first. Like i said above we don't live a lavish lifestyle and nor do we want to. I appreciate everyone's input on this matter because this is a huge decision for us. Especially me because i would be giving up my law enforcement career and having to start over while my wife would still be workin for the same company. I just can't give up my rollie
Old 2 November 2009, 12:59 PM   #14
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Welcome to California ! You're in for culture shock. I lived in LA for 5 years (early-mid 1980's) while attending college and it's very different from the South (I traveled to Atlanta monthly for business in the '90's for a company that I worked for.)

Whether 120K will allow you a comfortable lifestyle depends on many variables. I don't know about the housing prices in OC, but I imagine probably just as high as in LA County.
Northern California is even a bit higher than Southern California, in terms of housing.

One thing is that you'll be greeted by some of the best weather in the country, almost year around and a dynamic multi-cultural environment with many recreational opportunities.

If you do decide to come, it will be an adventure that I think you'll like !
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2009, 03:07 PM   #15
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
I immigrated to California in 1965 and presently live in the Inland Empire. I am about 90 minutes from LA. Times have changed and people are leaving the state. It is very expensive here. I hope she really likes her job.
Old 3 November 2009, 12:50 AM   #16
Barracuda
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputydog View Post
Barracuda u are the second person to tell me about the culture shock. As far as big houses we don't want one just something nice and comfortable for two adults no kids. If we do move we have decide to rent a place first. Like i said above we don't live a lavish lifestyle and nor do we want to. I appreciate everyone's input on this matter because this is a huge decision for us. Especially me because i would be giving up my law enforcement career and having to start over while my wife would still be workin for the same company. I just can't give up my rollie
It just so happens that I'm a cop who initially started his career in California, in OC...let me know your certification and if its comparable to our POST. OCSD is always hiring and its my understanding that a lateral doesn't always mean jail time. I could be wrong....which would suck...spending time babysitting skidmarks would like, suck.

Old 3 November 2009, 11:18 AM   #17
sunburst
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
I grew up in Huntington Beach, CA.
You’ve mentioned that you are visiting Anaheim and Corona.
Anaheim is in Orange County and Corona is in Riverside County.
Commuting in CA is daily fighting of heavy traffic therefore you’ll need to establish your place to live based on your place of work.
As for $120K it's doable but will depend on where you want to live.
Do you want to live along the PCH with the view of Pacific Ocean and Catalina Islands ? (I have 1 BR condo on PCH that’s going for $OMG!!).
Do you want to live inland?
I don’t know what style of living you have in TN but I can tell you that you won't find 5BR ranch house with fully finished basement entertainment center on 2 acre land in CA.
I’m glad I moved out of CA – I live in KY now comfortably with CA salary.
I still enjoy visiting CA which I do on monthly business trip and on family vacation at our condo.
If you like fishing CA offers both saltwater and freshwater.
If you and your wife is into dine out you'll find every type of cuisine from A to Z in CA.
I think Sushi in CA is equal or better than Japan. (JMHO)
BTW, Southern CA is about the only place you can surf, ski and golf on the same day.

Sinn 356 Flieger II, Sinn 556, Sinn ST-140
Marathon SAR, Marathon GSAR
sunburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2009, 12:07 PM   #18
Deputydog
"TRF" Member

Barracuda i've been a officer 8yrs,swat team sniper,firearms instructor,. Yes it would suck babysittings rookies. I know the laws are probably worded different but same type of crimes. LE pays alot better there. Sunburst eating out we love to do
Old 3 November 2009, 12:10 PM   #19
Mrdi
Banned

The only place to live in So Cal is along the coast or in the mountains.
Otherwise it is bumper to bumper congestion.
Mrdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2009, 02:22 PM   #20
Barracuda
"TRF" Member

Very cool...I don't know anything about LE in Tenn...but your certification must be at least on par with CA. We have Peace Officers Standards & Training requirements and levels of acheivement. If you went through an approved academy which I'm sure you did, just get all your paperwork together and contact some recruiters out there. I'd obviously choose an agency near where you guys decide to settle and SD's aren't the only choice, lots of good agencies to choose from. Since your nickname on here is Deputy, I'm assuming you're a sheriffs deputy.

In the area you're choosing, you have LASO, OCSD and Riverside County Sheriffs Office and last but not least, San Bernardino Sheriffs Office....A little north you have Ventura and south San Diego Sheriff Offices...all of them huge and offering deputies a lot of choices. With 8 years under your belt, you're a commodity.

Even if you decide to go with a smaller agency, the pay will still be better than you're making in Tenn I'm sure.

Good Luck!!
Old 3 November 2009, 03:19 PM   #21
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrdi View Post

My town has 190 people and a few are DEA.
Old 3 November 2009, 04:59 PM   #22
GBJIV
"TRF" Member

I live in Orange County

A dollar probably does not go as far as it does in TN. It is a beautiful place... But, you pay a great deal for beauty. I think it is worth it.... But, it would be an adjustment I think...
Old 4 November 2009, 02:39 AM   #23
looking to buy
"TRF" Member

I live in Ventura County and I know they are always actively looking for deputies. In fact most of the counties are always on the look out for good officers. So, you might want to try some northern counties. The congestion is a lot less and the life style may suit you more than Orange County. The northern counties, as a rule, are more rural.
Old 4 November 2009, 04:47 AM   #24
juliojulio

Watch: tt GMT 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking to buy View Post
Here are some things to consider when moving to California. The top state marginal income tax rate is around 9.4 to 9.7%. Starting this year there is a surcharge on the taxes, so you pay taxes on taxes. If you buy a home, your property tax is 1% of sales price plus bonded indebtedness. So it comes out to around 1.2% of the sales price. It goes up slowly each year. Sales taxes are around 8% and up depending on the county you live in. Orange County is not cheap. The state is starting a new program next year where they will actively seek out all internet purchases you make and if you do not pay CA sales tax on them, then you have to pay an equivalent "use tax" to the state. Always been the law, but now they intend to collect.

So, the tax problem and anti business climate are a minus. Along with the fact that the state is broke.

On the plus side, you will have the ocean, mountains, and desert all within 2 hours of each other. Year 'round weather is fantastic. Close drive to Vegas if you are into that. Lots of camping, and backpacking and boating opportunities. Home prices have dropped considerable so this could be a good time to buy. Some homes are 30% to 50% down from their peaks.

Orange county freeways can be congested so be sure to move where it will be less of a problem.

$120,000 will allow you to live a good middle class life. If you like the area the salary should be plenty to enjoy things.

Hope this helps.
do you know when next year will they start charging taxes on internet purchases.?
juliojulio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2009, 05:00 AM   #25
Bebot
"TRF" Member

Watch: U macallit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrdi View Post
As long as you're willing to deal with mud slides and fire.

--- __0 __0 __0
----_-\<,_ -\<,
_(_)(_)/_(_)/ (_)
Bebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2009, 05:07 AM   #26
Bebot
"TRF" Member

Watch: U macallit
$120k combined income in Southern CA is going to be tough. You have to have your own vehicle becuase there are no public transfortation. That means you have to pay auto insurance which is a premium in southern CA because people there drives like a Nascar drivers . Your lifestyle in Southern CA will be different from Tennesse no matter what you say, because you will meet some friends and neighbors that will likely to influence you to a different lifestyle. There are so many more variables to consider. You also need to consider TAXES (State, Income, Sales, Property and so on) All I can tell you is

GOOD LUCK!!!

--- __0 __0 __0
----_-\<,_ -\<,
_(_)(_)/_(_)/ (_)
Bebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2009, 05:34 AM   #27
stupidugly

I think it will be tough living comfortably in many areas of OC on 120K combined income. Some of the areas you mentioned would do doable. There are areas of Anaheim that would fall in your price range. Probably lots of stuff in Buena Park, Garden Grove, and Cerritos. I think anything east of the 57 freeway and south of the 22 is going to get out of your price range. Like other TRFers have said, transportation cost is ridiculous out here as is insurance and property tax.

On a side note, I know that Anaheim was looking to expand their police force with Disneyland looking to extend their property. I was just there last weekend and one of the security guards told me they just acquired a bunch of land and were in the early planning stages of expansion. He said he was just waiting for his background to clear and he was going to be heading off to the academy in hopes of finding something in Anaheim.

Good luck
stupidugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2009, 07:57 AM   #28
Deputydog
"TRF" Member

Yea Barracuda we have POST in tn also but i don't think Ca will do any kind of lateral but i could be wrong. While i'm in CA gonna try to make some contacts and talk with some local agencies. Lookin at what some the pay is in LE out there most patrol deputies and officers make more than my Sheriff. What type of pay we will have out there i'm just guessing we don't know for sure yet what her company is going to offer her. I just was tryin to get a idea and everbodie's input so far is very helpful. If anyone was close and wanted to maybe GTG for a beer and talk rollies or whatever.
Old 4 November 2009, 08:02 AM   #29
sunburst
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Another important thing - you and your wife will need to study the "re-location package" that will be offered.
Sinn 356 Flieger II, Sinn 556, Sinn ST-140
Marathon SAR, Marathon GSAR
sunburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2009, 12:58 PM   #30
Deputydog
"TRF" Member

Sunburst, that is one thing i've been keeping in the back of my mind is the relocation offer. One good thing never been to CA and well the company is paying for the trip there and back including a place to stay. It's a opprotunity for my wife and i hate to hold her back and then later on in life wish we would of done it. Where we live there are no jobs and basically noting to do other than go to the local ELKS lodge a private club i'm a member at eat and have a drink or go to the lake. We live a pretty simple life