The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 April 2023, 01:06 PM   #1
jujak
"TRF" Member

Daytona SS allocations

Anyone know how crazy the wait lists are for ss daytona's are nowdays?
I recently purchased a YG rolex from a AD in los Angeles and was put on the wait list for a daytona ss. Anyone have any info on what is a realistic wait time is? Any info would be appreciated.
jujak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2023, 04:45 PM   #2
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
The most sought after Rolex, it may take years
Old 12 April 2023, 05:05 PM   #3
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

I waited 13 years (original request was 116520 white) until just getting 116500 white dial in November. Had I waited five more months, I would have skipped two generations.

The black was 4-1/2 years with an incredible relationship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2023, 06:10 PM   #4
bp1000
"TRF" Member

probably between 4 and 6 years.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2023, 06:57 PM   #5
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Daytona SS allocations

Varies wildly. For my AD it's more about length of relationship and breadth of collection so for me it was:

3 years for 116509
4 years for 116500

Old 12 April 2023, 07:04 PM   #6
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

It depends on you, the AD and your relationship with hem. If you don't have the kind of relationship with your AD where you can ask them for a ballpark number, the only possible answer to your question is "unknown". Everybody else will just be guessing.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2023, 10:25 PM   #7
lamnyc
"TRF" Member

It’s all about relationships with AD. There’s no wait list.
lamnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2023, 10:28 PM   #8
JSol1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
It depends on you, the AD and your relationship with hem. If you don't have the kind of relationship with your AD where you can ask them for a ballpark number, the only possible answer to your question is "unknown". Everybody else will just be guessing.
This+
I mentioned being willing to wait when I asked about the white in the summer of 2021. Was offered one in December of that year. Was completely floored. After wearing it for 3 months, I asked for the Black whenever and was offered one in August of last year.
I know I’m very fortunate and contrary to what some claim I haven’t bought anything I didn’t want and I’m just an average watch collector, but do do have a very sincere relationship with AD and SA…So yes it very much depends…
JSol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2023, 10:32 PM   #9
harvey
"TRF" Member

…unfortunately for me I will never have the AD spend to be ever considered for a Daytona. however I am happy that I have been able to buy the other references that I had on my wish list.
Old 12 April 2023, 10:39 PM   #10
Tim Plains
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
I believe this is the universal formula for SS Daytona wait lists.

> spending
< time
Tim Plains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2023, 10:41 PM   #11
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Daytona SS allocations

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSol1 View Post
...do have a very sincere relationship with AD and SA…So yes it very much depends…
This matters more than money in my opinion.

Sure there are some minimum spend requirements but they aren't what people think.
Old 13 April 2023, 01:33 AM   #12
TheWatchmen
"TRF" Member

If you’re a new customer, you’re not getting one.

I hope you prove me wrong.
TheWatchmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 01:43 AM   #13
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Decade+ for even good customers say my AD. I always go trusted seller anyway.
Old 13 April 2023, 01:44 AM   #14
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamnyc View Post
It’s all about relationships with AD. There’s no wait list.
....but there is a pecking order.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41Mint Green
Robf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 01:48 AM   #15
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robf52 View Post
....but there is a pecking order.

Overseas grey dealers who are listed under 100+ fake names to obscure their identity in the record books get first dibs for sure.
Old 13 April 2023, 02:03 AM   #16
Beto737
"TRF" Member

Honestly, if the AD says anything more than four years without solid explanations as to why, you’re probably not getting the watch. I think they give those ridiculous times as a nice way of saying “no.”

That being said, if you’re a true player at your AD, two to three years is not at all uncommon. How do you know if you’re a true player? Spend history and your SA liking you A-LOT, plain and simple.
Beto737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 02:03 AM   #17
BJHofkin
"TRF" Member

What I'm about to write probably sounds hopelessly naive, but here goes.

From my admittedly limited experience (I really only have a relationship with a single AD at this point), I think the two most important factors are as follows:

- Earnestness as a collector/watch lover. This of course includes things like 1) length of relationship and 2) sheer $ quantity of purchase history – but it's more than those. Do you LOVE the watches you've bought from your AD and show your appreciation for them? Do you generally hang onto them? Do you celebrate them and talk about them with your salesman? Things like that.

- Being a good guy! This is trite, and it's related to the first point – but it's also its own thing. Talk with your salesman/salesmen. Talk watches with them. Talk OTHER things with them. Ask about their families. Joke around with them! If you're in the area and have a few minutes, go in and just shoot the sh-t with them WITHOUT any agenda. Have a favorite local food? Bring them some! Just be a decent human being. Make the relationship more than transactional.

Obviously at the end of the day the AD's have cold, hard business considerations to keep in mind too – but at the margin, the way they think about you (based largely on how you treat them!) really matters. Should be obvious – but it seems like it often gets lost.

These factors matter MUCH more than raw time on some list that may or may not actually exist for a piece like the Daytona.

One other thing:

All else equal, find an AD with a preowned program. You can then use less-in-demand pieces you buy as trade chips toward more-in-demand pieces. Obviously there's a cost here – but it's still MUCH less than paying secondary market prices on an SS Daytona.
BJHofkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 02:06 AM   #18
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSol1 View Post
I know I’m very fortunate and contrary to what some claim I haven’t bought anything I didn’t want and I’m just an average watch collector, but do do have a very sincere relationship with AD and SA…So yes it very much depends…
Same. Our relationship is long standing with the store as opposed to the brand. We were on first name terms for years before I asked to look at a Rolex. Not big spenders by any stretch but I suppose it accumulates over time and some good will may accompany it if everybody gets along well.

This is helped by the fact it's a small/medium, one shop, family owned independent with a low staff turnover. How I would fare at a big chain outlet is unknown. We have a good relationship with our local Goldsmiths (W.O.S.) and they've never behaved unprofessionally, although they don't cary Rolex in our City.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 02:57 AM   #19
SLWoodster
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
The last one only works at very select ADs. It works more for porsche or ferrari allocations.

For you in MN, I'm guessing it works at Wixon's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJHofkin View Post
What I'm about to write probably sounds hopelessly naive, but here goes.

From my admittedly limited experience (I really only have a relationship with a single AD at this point), I think the two most important factors are as follows:

- Earnestness as a collector/watch lover. This of course includes things like 1) length of relationship and 2) sheer $ quantity of purchase history – but it's more than those. Do you LOVE the watches you've bought from your AD and show your appreciation for them? Do you generally hang onto them? Do you celebrate them and talk about them with your salesman? Things like that.

- Being a good guy! This is trite, and it's related to the first point – but it's also its own thing. Talk with your salesman/salesmen. Talk watches with them. Talk OTHER things with them. Ask about their families. Joke around with them! If you're in the area and have a few minutes, go in and just shoot the sh-t with them WITHOUT any agenda. Have a favorite local food? Bring them some! Just be a decent human being. Make the relationship more than transactional.

Obviously at the end of the day the AD's have cold, hard business considerations to keep in mind too – but at the margin, the way they think about you (based largely on how you treat them!) really matters. Should be obvious – but it seems like it often gets lost.

These factors matter MUCH more than raw time on some list that may or may not actually exist for a piece like the Daytona.

One other thing:

All else equal, find an AD with a preowned program. You can then use less-in-demand pieces you buy as trade chips toward more-in-demand pieces. Obviously there's a cost here – but it's still MUCH less than paying secondary market prices on an SS Daytona.
SLWoodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 03:39 AM   #20
sj24k
"TRF" Member

Daytona SS allocations

Depends on who you are, who you know, and the quality of your relationship with the AD or SA. But typically among the hardest Rolex references to obtain at retail.

Many choose to pay market price to a trusted reseller for the instant gratification. But that’s obviously a highly personal decision and the subject of a few thousand other threads.

Good luck.

sj24k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 03:40 AM   #21
Greenwood_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
Varies wildly. For my AD it's more about length of relationship and breadth of collection so for me it was:

3 years for 116509
4 years for 116500

That WG meteorite is next level.
Ω Speedy Pro Moon Phase 3575.20
Greenwood_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 03:43 AM   #22
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

I waited for ~60 days when I requested my 116500 back in 2018.

I’m two years into waiting for a 116519 from the same AD. The one that got away as I don’t feel the desire for the new updated model.

My point is that no two people will have the same wait for the same watch. It’s all very arbitrary and random.

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 03:45 AM   #23
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenwood_ View Post
That WG meteorite is next level.

Thank you. It is very special indeed.
Old 13 April 2023, 04:03 AM   #24
BJHofkin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLWoodster View Post
The last one only works at very select ADs. It works more for porsche or ferrari allocations.

For you in MN, I'm guessing it works at Wixon's?
Why wouldn't it be viable at any non-big-chain AD with a pre-owned program?

It's more or less the same logic as for bundling in general, no?
BJHofkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 04:04 AM   #25
rlx123
"TRF" Member

Daytona SS allocations

I Spent about $70k and sold back 3 rolex to same AD at around retail which they turned around and made about $12k profits on them……I am still waiting for ss white Daytona. To give my AD credit, they did sell me my pepsi and hulk and sub at msrp and some other watches as well. Still waiting two years so far.

rlx123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 04:52 AM   #26
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
I waited a little over a year for the white and around six months for the black.
Old 13 April 2023, 04:56 AM   #27
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
There is no list. After a few deals (back in the early 2010's) I was told there was a 116520 in the safe. Then when the ceramic Daytona came out, I was called and told a black dial was in and mine if I wanted it. I declined. Now that may sound easy, but that was after 14 years of trying to get a SS daytona. Best I can tell, there is and never was any waitlist. They keep them in the bast and use them to reward customers. Simple as that.

Now however you have good customers and the gray market so less for anyone else at the trough.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 06:01 AM   #28
mulberry083
"TRF" Member

Agree on the above post. I was in my AD about six months ago and they let me try on a Panda. I was told it was intended for a customer that was trading in a piece that I assume the AD could make a decent profit on.

mulberry083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 07:00 AM   #29
londonpilgrim
"TRF" Member

got the black in 6 months, the white in 9
londonpilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 07:00 AM   #30
DoctorsOrders
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
I just hope I get offered the white sometime soon, I've been waiting over 2 years now.
DoctorsOrders is offline   Reply With Quote